IGNORED

Everything is going right!

Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

After spending 2 months travelling and thus being away from the game I've played 4 times since I've been back and getting progressively worse with each round.

I knew I had a problem with my irons 5-8 in that every time I hit the ball I hit a fade. There's nothing wrong with my ball striking, the connection is good and I get great height with my shots but whatever I try, however much I try to come round the ball on follow through I cannot get rid of this fade. I was on one of the par 5's earlier today, had hit a fairly nice drive down the left, took out my 6 iron and before I'd even addressed the ball I knew where it was going. Made a really nice connection but sure enough as the ball reached the top of its flight it fades down to the right and ended up in the trees.

Anyone else have this problem with their mid to long irons and anyone know how to get rid of it?

I have the same thing, my fade with 6 and up is usually only about 10 yards or so. So I just work that into where I hit. But with my driver 4 and 5 it's a lot worse, those are actual slices, my drives start off either straight or slightly right then take major curves to the right.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I find the harder I try to hit my drives and woods the more likely they are to fade but it's not a big problem with those clubs, just my irons. I just cannot not hit a fade with these clubs, it's so frustrating because I know whats coming and I cant do anything about it.

Originally Posted by Bye Bye Ball

I find the harder I try to hit my drives and woods the more likely they are to fade but it's not a big problem with those clubs, just my irons. I just cannot not hit a fade with these clubs, it's so frustrating because I know whats coming and I cant do anything about it.

It is possible that your gripping the club too tightly. Shorter irons are more forgiving but longer irons and woods need a soft grip. On a scale from 0 - 10 I think grip tightness should be around 0.5 in the lower hand and 0.1 in the upper hand. The forearms are just too stiff to roll with a tight grip.

Originally Posted by TakeItOnTheChin

It is possible that your gripping the club too tightly. Shorter irons are more forgiving but longer irons and woods need a soft grip. On a scale from 0 - 10 I think grip tightness should be around 0.5 in the lower hand and 0.1 in the upper hand. The forearms are just too stiff to roll with a tight grip.

I think you're probably right, I do tend to strangle my clubs a bit.

Had 9 holes today however and besides the first 5 which were a continuation of the rubbish I've played recently, I played the last 4 at +1. I did 2 things (that I know of):

1) Stood a little further away from the ball leading to me coming around the ball a lot more and

2) Shortened my back swing which I figured lessened the chance of me making a mistake during the swing process.

Really want to get back out there now, after those last 4 holes I feel like I might have turned a corner!

Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!