IGNORED

Where to play public or private in Westchester

Wineguy
Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok folks, if you play the county courses you have probably experienced the joy of the 5 hour round. I personally like the courses. I've played Maple Moor and Saxon Woods mainly, and the conditions are generally very good. However, the number of golfers crowding the course even on weekdays is crazy sometimes. Add in the weirdos trying to "shop" for new balls by picking up shots you just hit on the fairway and it's enough to make you want to join a private club.

Anyone have similar experiences, funny stories or suggestions for good courses that don't break the bank? Also any private clubs offering special deals to get members? Now may be the time to think about jumping into a private club if the price is right.

In the bag:

:ping: k15 Driver 10.5

:ping:K15 5 Wood

:ping:G15 irons

:tmade:Ghost Rossa Corza Putter

:ping:4-series stand bag

Grandpa's circa 1960's ball retriever for fishing expeditions.

So update: I go to Maple Moor the other day and my friend and I get right onto the first tee without anyone waiting and just one guy ahead of us moving fairly swiftly. We basically played the front 9 as if it were a private club. No people behind us, great conditions and we could even practice putting a bit on the greens if the we had to wait a minute for the guy in front to tee off. We even walked the course for the first time cause it was too nice not too.

All was good..UNTIL...it got late in the day so the course started pushing people on the front and back nines for quick mini-rounds. Now we had people crowded up in front of us and other catching up behind as we had to wait more.

Overall, not bad. We still finished our round in under 4 hours...mainly because we moved so fast at the beginning. But even on quiet day you get reminded that this is no country club.

In the bag:

• 6 months later...

I gave in and joined Lake Isle in Eastchester as a non-resident. For the past two years they have brought in a new groundskeeper and the conditions are great. It's a short par 70 course with little water to watch for. Overall a great place to work on your game and improve but I can see it becoming boring after awhile.

I love being to just go to the club at anytime and hit a few holes. I do feel it is very expensive for what it is. I pay around $2500/yr for weekday golf only. Plus they charge you $7 per round for a handcart to walk the course even if you carry your bag or use your own pushcart. After 3 they don't charge the fee, but it seems kinda nickel and diming to me. Also you pay to hit on the driving range. For a few hundred dollars more than what I pay for single weekday golf only an in-town resident can get full family access with 7-day golf, swimming and tennis for the entire family. A great deal if you live in Eastchester.

Even so being in Westchester, $2500/yr is about as good as it gets for a semi-private course. Rounds rarely ever go more than 4 hours and weekdays are fairly quiet with no tee time reservations needed. If I joined a private club it would likely cost at least $12-$15k a year plus initiation costs.

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!