IGNORED

how many of you "lift the tray"

Note: This thread is 6147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

had another lesson today to help put some more consistancy in my ball striking. The big thing we worked on today was lifting the tray at the top of the backswing. (that is have your right palm up as it you were carrying a serving tray). by focusing on this, i am striking it about 10-12 yards farther everytime and barely ever catching it fat?

curious if anyone else is consciencly working on this?

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

I usually concentrate on pointing the club toe at the sky during takeaway and keep the right elbow from flying. But I just noticed that when I do that, I wind up in your "lift the tray" position. Interesting.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

I never even heard of this expression. I'm gonna maybe give it a go on the range tomorrow.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I worked on cupping the right wrist during my backswing today. My release and consequently distance seemed really good. Now If only I can keep it all together for a full round of golf..

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Getting to the top is half the battle, staying soft through the transition is the other half. There is a tendency to "hit" or grab the club at the top which destroys the other half.
Keep the hands and arms soft when making the transition, it adds speed and lag and will keep you on plane.

I always hinge my wirsts at the top of the backswing but not in the motion you've described of 'lifting the tray'.

I've never tried it, but wouldn't it promote a more open clubface going up meaning you have to compensate on the way down invariably affecting your consistency?

In my bag:

Driver R7 Superquad
3 Wood: Burner
Irons: 3-PW MP-60Wedges: MP R Series Chrome 52* 56* 60*Putter: Bettinardi C-SeriesBall: NXT Tour

My dad recently took a lesson from a local golf pro, and I played a round of golf with him yesterday. He kept talking about lifiting the tray. When he actually managed to do it correctly, he launched the ball. He ended up hitting a few shots nearly 300 yards, so it works pretty well for him.

Note: This thread is 6147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!