IGNORED

Pebble Beach in January/February

Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I lived in Palo Alto area for 3 years and traveled to Monterey area often.  Usually, mid/late January to early/mid March is rainy season in Monterey.  It is usually cold, cloudy and damp.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

January/February is a crap shoot. You could hit it perfect, get 2-3 wonderful days of 65 degrees and nothing but sun. You could also get 2-3 days of rain and a high of 50. We could easily go 3 days without seeing the sun during that time.

The biggest problem for us is not the rain itself, in California the ground cannot handle the rain. We absorb it all and it gets muddy fast and not all that fun. Balls plug in the fairway and there is standing water everywhere.

Last winter was really nice. The year before we got smashed, so one can never tell.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a local I feel October, January, and Late april early may are the best time to play Pebble with some consistency to clear views, warm temperature and little chance of coastal fog.  In January, you trade our some summertime costal fog for a chance of rain, but the plus side on a clear day the view is sharp. Weather can be shorts warm but will dip to the hi 40-50 over night, So bring a sweater and light jacket. The wind has a bit to do with it as well. if its coming from the North west it might be colder and biting, If it is up from the South then it warm and again comfortable in shorts.

Believe it or not it has a tendency to rain in the evenings and be clear in the day. So the course will be soft in places and clean and place rules are appropriate. But I am not sure that this changes much of the normal playability here. The course doesn't often have a lot of run and most greens in the area soft and plug easy anyhow. These tend to be area specific adjustments. In winter shoot at the cup, action on the ball not necessary or worth the effort,  the ball will normally stick.

A good way to focus on golf and not the view is to drive to big sur the day before, (40 minutes from Pebble), some great views of the pacific on this drive as well. Well, it works for me.

Good luck!

Note: This thread is 4351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!