IGNORED

SCISC - Mens League

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Southern California Industrial Swing Club (SCISC) is a men's league that has been played in Socal for over 50 years.  It is a traveling men's golf league that plays once a month - typically the first Saturday of the month, at a different course.

The league is made up of six teams... Consisting golfers ranging from their 20's to guys in their 70's.  We have golfers ranging from near scratch players to 25+ handicap. It is a lot of fun and I got introduced to it a little over a year ago from another golfing buddy as I moved to Socal from the Phoenix area.

We play a match once a month - it typically is the first Saturday of the month...

The league has a formal schedule - where each team will play one another 2x a year...

Each team fields eight players...

There is a league handicap chairman... And will monitor handicaps over the course of the season.

The league sends out a roster list with course handicaps before each match.

Then the team captains are responsible for getting their line-up / committed 8 players for the match.

Each of the six teams are matched up against one another... And two teams face-off in an 18 hole stroke and match play...

Handicaps are used and we track Gross and Net scores...

If you are interested, I'm the team captain of the 'No Bogeys' golf team.  We currently have ~ 18 guys on our team list .  But of the 18 guys, we often struggle to field an eight man team.

For instance, we have a tournament scheduled for this Saturday, November 3rd at Canyon Lakes - and we only have 5 guys signed up.  That means we are three short of a full team - and will be penalized for each guy we are short of 8.

This is a recurring theme lately... It sucks because just last month, we were short two guys, and received a penalty of -6 pts per guy we were short.  So we ended up receiving a 12 point deduction in total.  Our team lost for the first time this year, with a final score of 28 to 40.

I will say, the SCISC is a great way to meet guys who like to play golf - and the guys in the league are scattered all over Socal.  Most of the tournaments are in the Inland Empire area as they try to keep the tournament prices low.... So I often find myself having to drive ~ an hour to some of these courses.  But if you don't mind the drive... The prices are fair, and the SCISC tournaments are a lot of fun.

Typically the tournaments range in the $50 to $70 range for 18 holes.  And then there is always an optional $5 gross and $5 net side pool..  So if you want to get into that side bet - it is still reasonable.

If this is something you would be interested in participating in... I'd need a few items from you....

1.) Contact Information - Name, Email and Phone so we can get you on the team list.

2.) Handicap - preferably your SCGA / GHIN - but if you don't have that - you can provide your last 10 rounds (score, slope and rating for each round).

- Our league handicap chairman will generate a league handicap for you to use based off of this information

- Then as you play in tournaments over time... Your tournament handicap will become what is used for tournament play

My contact information is....

Shawn

Phone: 949-287-9550

Email: shawn.m.jack@gmail.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We only have 7 golfers for this Saturdays tournament.  Means we are 1 guy short.  This is why I'd like to get some of the TST'ers that are interested in playing - signed up for our team No Bogeys.  We are tied for first in the league, but not having a full 8 man team means we get -6 points for every man we are short.  Tough to keep our top spot when we are already down on the first hole.

Next month.. In December we are playing Temecula Creek Inn.  So if you guys are interested in getting involved with the league, let me know.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread...

First, I've received several emails, text messages, and even a few phone calls from folks interested in the SCISC league.  Thanks for your interest... The 2013 season is underway, but we are still looking for regular players.

Moving forward, here is how we will work this in terms of having guys join the league....

1.) You will need to provide your SCGA GHIN so that we can check your handicap

2.) If you don't have an SCGA handicap, then you'll need to supply a total of 10 scores from your most recent rounds... Please ensure you include:

a.) Gross Score (Total score for 18 holes)

b.) Course Name

c.) Tee Box you played from

d.) Course Slope / Rating

With 1 or 2 from above, we can get your handicap established with the league handicap chair.

The other item we would like to do... Is before we extend a formal invite to the league, is to play a round of golf with you.  This should be the easy part - and fun.  In order to do this... One of the guys from the league, most likely myself will work with you to find a time when we can play a round of golf together.  This will act as a chance for both of us to discuss your interest in the league, and ensure you understand what you are signing up for.  The reason for this is we want to root out anyone who is a flake or an ass.

Really, the SCISC league is a great group of guys, from all ages and backgrounds.  We aren't looking for tour ready players (although its fun to play with quality players as they make me play better)... But we want to ensure that the people that join the league are going to be respectful, and want to be part of a team environment.

Hope this helps those that were on the fence or had questions about the SCISC league?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm going to bump this thread...

First, I've received several emails, text messages, and even a few phone calls from folks interested in the SCISC league.  Thanks for your interest... The 2013 season is underway, but we are still looking for regular players.

Moving forward, here is how we will work this in terms of having guys join the league....

1.) You will need to provide your SCGA GHIN so that we can check your handicap

2.) If you don't have an SCGA handicap, then you'll need to supply a total of 10 scores from your most recent rounds... Please ensure you include:

a.) Gross Score (Total score for 18 holes)

b.) Course Name

c.) Tee Box you played from

d.) Course Slope / Rating

With 1 or 2 from above, we can get your handicap established with the league handicap chair.

The other item we would like to do... Is before we extend a formal invite to the league, is to play a round of golf with you.  This should be the easy part - and fun.  In order to do this... One of the guys from the league, most likely myself will work with you to find a time when we can play a round of golf together.  This will act as a chance for both of us to discuss your interest in the league, and ensure you understand what you are signing up for.  The reason for this is we want to root out anyone who is a flake or an ass.

Really, the SCISC league is a great group of guys, from all ages and backgrounds.  We aren't looking for tour ready players (although its fun to play with quality players as they make me play better)... But we want to ensure that the people that join the league are going to be respectful, and want to be part of a team environment.

Hope this helps those that were on the fence or had questions about the SCISC league?

But what if I am a flake AND an ass?  Does that mean I can still play with you guys???

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

But what if I am a flake AND an ass?  Does that mean I can still play with you guys???

Sorry, you're black listed....

I'm interested. My summer schedule is all over the map, but I'd love to play when I'm around and if you need extras.

We'll be teeing it up together on Sunday, so getting in a round together should be the easy part.

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to send a quick note as I get contacted ~ quarterly from various golfers who must of stumbled on this thread... Unfortunately, I'm no longer playing golf at this time, nor a part of the SCISC.  Not that I don't love the game, but having two babies since December of 2013 has changed how I handle my free time immensely (translation - I barely get to play anymore :~().  

So if you're looking to play in a men's league, please contact the members on this site as they can get you connected with folks who are playing regularly, and some in organized leagues.  

Hit'em straight!

Shawn aka Beachcomber

Hi folks,

I just spoke to shawn on the phone, he indicated I should post here, to get contact info for someone from the club..I am interested in coming out as a guest and trying the club (if thats allowed) and I have 2-3 other guys from our current travel club, that are interested too.

My name is bryan could someone please contact me at bsfye@cox.net

thx.

b

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!