IGNORED

Static fitting

Note: This thread is 4191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all I have been reading on here for a little while and had a question. I am looking to buy new iorn for myself for x mass. I have played for the last year a round month or so. But am wanting to start taking the game more serious. Have been playing with a set thats about 10 years old and is missing clubs. So looking to upgrade my swing is good sometimes and horrible at times (slice). Should i just get a static fitting done till i can get my swing consistant? Or just get a full fitting done?

I think a static fitting would be fine for now.  Having a consistent set will help a lot.  I used to play with a mixed bag of different clubs and it was always a guess sometimes as to what to use.  I would look used or buy clones to keep the cost down.

"To ensure perfect aim, shoot first and call wherever the ball lands the target"

I think a static fitting would be fine for now.  Having a consistent set will help a lot.  I used to play with a mixed bag of different clubs and it was always a guess sometimes as to what to use.  I would look used or buy clones to keep the cost down.

My first thought was to buy a all in one beginners set but dont want to pay for clubs and then in a year or so want something else. So was thinking of getting a set in the 4 to 5 hundred price range that i can grow into. Or would that be a waste?

It is all in what your budget affords.  If you are going to take the game 'serious'... And you can afford it... I'd go with a full fitting, and get the clubs recommended for your swing now.  Then in 12mo - after you have improved your game... Go back and get re-fit and determine what characteristics have changed within your swing, and decide what clubs you want to change out or add to your set - if any.

The game of golf is largely impacted by ones self confidence.  So if you aren't confident in the set you buy - no matter how much you spent.... Then you are likely going to struggle at the game.  Whereas if you go through the fitting process, and you get a set of clubs - made for you - I'd think this would give you confidence that while you are playing - you are playing with a set which is built for your game - not someone else.

Bottom line, you need to have realistic expectations - and understand it will take time to groove a new swing.  And the clubs are more important for self confidence IMO as many of today's OEM's are going to have similar specs and performance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

It is all in what your budget affords.  If you are going to take the game 'serious'... And you can afford it... I'd go with a full fitting, and get the clubs recommended for your swing now.

Agreed.  And if you are like me (whatever the exact opposite of a "club ho" is ... a "club monogamist??") then you haven't bought clubs in 15 years, and probably won't for another 15 years ... you might as well go all out and get the full dynamic fitting, trackman analysis, spine aligned shafts, the works!

You only live once!

I would stick with the static fitting. You play several times a year with a whatever set of clubs. So, you likely don't have a very stable swing.

The static fitting will check for shaft length, lie angle, and grip thickness. Also, a swingspeed check will help determine what shaft flex you need. It's a waste of money to spend $2K on custom clubs if you swing hasn't stabilized.

Many golf shops can find you a set of decent, slightly used clubs which fit what you need.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

I would stick with the static fitting. You play several times a year with a whatever set of clubs. So, you likely don't have a very stable swing.

The static fitting will check for shaft length, lie angle, and grip thickness. Also, a swingspeed check will help determine what shaft flex you need. It's a waste of money to spend $2K on custom clubs if you swing hasn't stabilized.

Many golf shops can find you a set of decent, slightly used clubs which fit what you need.

I see your point, and not saying it is wrong... But $2K for a dynamic fitting?!  Mine was a lot less - and that included top of the line clubs.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I see your point, and not saying it is wrong... But $2K for a dynamic fitting?!  Mine was a lot less - and that included top of the line clubs.

If you got a day-long custom fitting, plus a bag of new clubs, the total could run that high.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I never quite understand why people think a full ( custom) fitting is going to be over-the-top expensive. Sure, there are custom fitters with access to infinite clubhead/shaft combinations, but the overall purchase of the clubs doesn't have to be 2K? Technically, you may spend the same amount on the clubs as you would buying an off the rack set from your golf retailer. With doppler radar, a good fitter can find the best club/shaft combo that gives the player the most consistent numbers. I promise you, a static fitting...without actually hitting shots outdoors and seeing the ball flight, will not improve consistency. The biggest component, IMHO, is shaft type/bend profile, as it is the engine behind the swing. The bottom line price is only going to be raised if you decide to purchase aftermarket exotic shafts, and go through the FLO'ing/puring process....but there are alternatives that keep the pricepoint reasonable.

I think at your level. you should really hit different  OEM combos outside on a monitor and go and trust the data feedback provided along with your own personal feel.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by RadarNinja

I never quite understand why people think a full ( custom) fitting is going to be over-the-top expensive. ... With doppler radar, a good fitter can find the best club/shaft combo that gives the player the most consistent numbers. ...

This would go along with the swingspeed check that I mentioned above.

What am I concerned about? Some advertisements for daylong dynamic fittings put the dynamic cost at about $300. I suggested he avoid the dynamic at this time, along with pressure to buy high-dollar clubs.

The lie angle check of the static fitting involves hitting shots off an impact board to ensure the club is not too upright or flat.

The dynamic fitting and super club-set doesn't do beginners much good, since their swings are not set and what is an ideal fit Monday probably isn't on Wednesday.

Some fitters will do the static fitting and swingspeed check for free if you buy new irons. Or, you might find some decent used clubs for only a small fitting cost.

Note: This thread is 4191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!