IGNORED

Driving Range

muskegman
Note: This thread is 6919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't hit the course this weekend but spent some much needed time on the driving range. I spent most of the large bucket with my PW-8 irons in hand. I am so happy because my ball striking was so much better than the last time I hit the range. I felt like I could reasonably execute shots I chose for myself.

With my seven iron in hand I was consistently hitting a spot I chose about 160 yards out which was great. Not sure if thats great distance with a seven iron, but it felt good to have the accuracy on. I haven't really developed a full swing yet to be honest. I feel I could gain distance if I started to reach back a bit more in the backswing but have sacrificed consistency when I've tried that so far. I feel like I'm getting closer to a full swing with each passing week.

As usual I had trouble with the driver. Hit some good shots amid some weak slices and pulls so you know I've got some work to do there. Overall consistency with my driver is way up from a few months ago, but I'm not kidding myself... I need to see greater consistency with driver in hand.

I was very encouraged in the fairway wood department. It used to be that I felt completely lost with a fairway wood in my hand but again, I felt like I could resonably execute shots I chose for myself.

Visualization really made all the difference for me on this trip. I'm going to be putting that into my pre-shot routine from now on. Ball flight and landing area are important elements there.

The best thing that came out of it is that I really began to feel where I needed to be with my swing plane for a successful shot. I felt that was a big improvement in the mind and mechanics area.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... I was consistently hitting a spot I chose about 160 yards out which was great. Not sure if thats great distance with a seven iron, but it felt good to have the accuracy on. ...

Are you sure about that 22 hcp ?

160 7i with consistent direction control is awsome. Don't listen to the moderators on TV talking about Tiger hitting 190 with 7i... Most of the tour player have their clubs bent to be delofted - not rare 1 or 2 clubs off the "standard" lofts. That's sweet. Keep it up and you'll lose one of the "2" in your index soon

Thanks for the comments Raf... I'm still firmly a hack in my book but am having tons of fun swinging more consistently. It was great to be on the range after a couple of months and actually see progress. Wow. Hope to be in the handicap teens soon!

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Your trip to the range sounds a bit like mine. Im like you i try to hit my driver and i hit a couple of good ones. And also i end up hitting a good bunch of bad ones. Just enough to get me frusterated before a round.

Anyway i usully always hit the range before a round and when im on the range i usually get the most nervous. You know when you first step on the range your not set yet. And then there is usually some guy 80 years older then you that looks like Tiger Woods.

Anyway got a lot from this topic.

Mike Fisher
email me PGAfan790@aol.com

...I usully always hit the range before a round and when im on the range i usually get the most nervous...

I almost never go to the range before the round. I spend a few hours there during the week though

The reason why I don't like to hit balls before round is strictly mental. I found out, that for me to swing good, I've to be 100% focused on the shot. Usually on the range I end up just swining away "to get loose". Since I'm not really "into it", it takes a few seconds until I hit a shank or duck-hook a shot. Then I end up trying to think mechanics and fix it. It goes downhill from there. My normal pre-tournament routine is about 30min streching (yea, I'm old, fat and out of shape - I need full 30 min ) and 15 min on the putting green, but only practicing lag putts - to get the feel for the speed, not the direction. Nothing worse than starting to miss a few 4 footers on the putting green. The same reason - not fully focus on the execution is easy (for me) to start "correcting" it... minus well write off the round.

• Administrator
I almost never go to the range before the round. I spend a few hours there during the week though

I putt a lot too before a round, and almost never the short ones. Sometimes I don't even putt to a cup, but to a spot on the green or the first ball I hit. That way there's no way it can go in, and all you can look at is how close it ended up to the spot.

I do sometimes hit the range before a round to figure out what my swing thought is for the day. I loosen up with a bunch of PWs and 7Is, then pull out the 5I to get my swing thought down. Then hit three drivers or so and then putt for another few minutes before hitting the first tee.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I get bored at the range. And I get worn out after hitting too many balls. I do like to just take a 6 iron and groove the swing with it. Hitting tons of drivers can start to result in hack swings for me.

Strangely enough, if I go to the range and hit 10-20 terrible shots I play pretty well on the course. If I hit every shot perfect on the range I seem to leave them all there and play crappy on the course.

Yeah rafcin i like to be focused. People staring at me and in occasional lawn mower cutting the range does not help me focus on my swing or my upcoming round.

Mike Fisher

I get bored at the range. And I get worn out after hitting too many balls. I do like to just take a 6 iron and groove the swing with it. Hitting tons of drivers can start to result in hack swings for me.

From reading this it sounds that you cant really win on the range and on the course at the same time. I have felt this before.

Mike Fisher

I hit the bulk of my shots with PW-8I and then stay as smooth and focused at possible with irons and woods. Plus I do my pre-shot routine between every ball on the range. I try not to spend too much time with the driver, just enough to feel the proper movement, get a few good drives in there and then put it down. Any more and I get tired fast and turn into even more of a hack than I already am.

Putting is also a staple.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Note: This thread is 6919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!