IGNORED

couple questions from a newbie

bagadonutz
Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alright, as I said before I am new to the game so any help would be greatly appreciated. I got a couple questions from game play to equipment. First, I usually play alone and with a cart can play 18 in about 2 1/2 hours if by myself. Why when I am playing and there is a foursome or threesome in front of me, they don't let me play through? I know that they have the "right away", but I still feel if they would just wait on the next tee, I could breeze through even though I stink and shoot more than them, I still am quicker than three guys that are good

Is it alright to stay on the greens and practice your putting and chipping if no one is behind you and your waiting on the group in front. I know you don't want to "beat up" the greens, but it stinks just standing waiting on the next tee box?

Lastly, My shaft on my Big Bertha drive broke and they said it was covered by Callaway. They let me borrow a Taylor made Burner and I am crushing it, I am not sure if I am hitting it better bc I had a turn in my game which happend over the holiday, or bc the driver? Anyone else use these two clubs and noticed a difference? I am not good enough to tell the difference of clubs yet, but I was hitting the Burner straight and about 20-30 yards further.

Thanks guys

Alright, as I said before I am new to the game so any help would be greatly appreciated. I got a couple questions from game play to equipment. First, I usually play alone and with a cart can play 18 in about 2 1/2 hours if by myself. Why when I am playing and there is a foursome or threesome in front of me, they don't let me play through? I know that they have the "right away", but I still feel if they would just wait on the next tee, I could breeze through even though I stink and shoot more than them, I still am quicker than three guys that are good

If you're much faster than they are, they should let you play through. And if you catch them, they certainly should. Alternately, if it's a threesome, why not ask to join?

I have no idea on the other two questions.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

is it alright to ask to play through? or do they have to offer? I am so new to the game and then I joined a nice club and the members are pretty cool, but I am timid bc I am such a green horn about what you should and shouldn't do, I don't want to have a bad rep at the club, but sometimes I feel like some groups act like its the us open, I know they are playing for money sometimes, but still, we go out for a good time, at least thats why I am out there

is it alright to ask to play through? or do they have to offer? I am so new to the game and then I joined a nice club and the members are pretty cool, but I am timid bc I am such a green horn about what you should and shouldn't do, I don't want to have a bad rep at the club, but sometimes I feel like some groups act like its the us open, I know they are playing for money sometimes, but still, we go out for a good time, at least thats why I am out there

Short answer: You have to wait for them to wave you through. Never hit into the group ahead of you intentionally.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

You should ask nicely if you can play through, or play with them. Just say, "Hey do you guys mind if I play through? I'll get out of your way quickly?"...Most people will say "yeah, sure" or "why don't you join us?" (if they are a threesome)...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Actually, they don't have the right of way if they are playing slower than you are. It used to be that a foursome had priority, but not anymore - slower groups should allow faster groups to play through - it's just proper etiquette. Even says so in the rule book.

When you're on the green and they're on the next tee, just ask to play through - they'll let you.
Is it alright to stay on the greens and practice your putting and chipping if no one is behind you and your waiting on the group in front. I know you don't want to "beat up" the greens, but it stinks just standing waiting on the next tee box?.

Absolutely! And since you're new to the game, that's a better choice than trying to play through, if no one is pushing you and you have the time.

Lastly, My shaft on my Big Bertha drive broke and they said it was covered by Callaway. They let me borrow a Taylor made Burner and I am crushing it, I am not sure if I am hitting it better bc I had a turn in my game which happend over the holiday, or bc the driver? Anyone else use these two clubs and noticed a difference? I am not good enough to tell the difference of clubs yet, but I was hitting the Burner straight and about 20-30 yards further.

Wait until your Big Bertha is repaired and compare them side by side. Your best bet though is to get properly fitted using a launch monitor.

I think it's also okay to ask people at your club what is appropriate, they know you just started golfing and nobody is going to mind helping you out a little bit.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

thanks for the answers, also what is a good ball to be using? I use to take whatever bc I would lose them, now I can make a round without losing a ball or just maybe one. Any suggestions? thanks

Try Srixon Soft Feel's, Titleist DT SoLo, or Callaway HX hot's...

They are all good balls for a beginner cuz they aren't too expensive, but have a nice feel.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
First, I usually play alone and with a cart can play 18 in about 2 1/2 hours if by myself. Why when I am playing and there is a foursome or threesome in front of me, they don't let me play through?

If you're playing by yourself, "a single has no standing" on the golf course. For example, from

http://stanfordgolfcourse.com/policies.htm:
A single player has no standing and should give way to a group of players.

Additionally, if there are threesomes or foursomes ahead of the group in front of you, there's "no room" to go through. Letting you through would actually only slow several groups down.

If the group has empty space in front of them, they should normally let you through, "no standing" or not. If they don't, use the time to putt or chip. Practice pitch shots on the tees if there's a group behind you. Or, play at a different time, pair up with a threesome or twosome, or many other things.
I know that they have the "right away"

To those who will suggest that 4 > 1, yes, it is, but again even bagodonutz is right: a single has no standing. Traditionally. Many groups will let you through, because tradition is sometimes stupid, but still: matches take precedent over someone just out playing by himself. There's a reason and some logic behind that tradition.

Is it alright to stay on the greens and practice your putting and chipping if no one is behind you and your waiting on the group in front. I know you don't want to "beat up" the greens, but it stinks just standing waiting on the next tee box?

As I said above, that's fine. Repair any ball marks you make and you won't be beating up anything. I go out to Lake View all the time to practice near the greens because we don't have a true short game area - you can't pitch and chip on the practice putting green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Personally, I would play either DT Solos or possibly HX Hot, but for a beginner I like DT Solo a bit better.

Good luck with your golfing experience!
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

If you're playing by yourself, "a single has no standing" on the golf course. For example, from

Sorry, but that's just not the case anymore.

Priority goes to faster groups if the slower group has room in front, and also goes to a group playing 18 holes over one that's playing less than a full round. It doesn't matter how many players are in a group. Again, this is just proper etiquette, and it's pretty clear under the USGA's Etiquette section.

• Administrator
Sorry, but that's just not the case anymore.

Except that it is. I quoted a current policy and it's similar to the course's policy at which the original poster plays.

As I also said, it's commonly ignored, but really shouldn't be if there's nowhere to go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agreed. Most cases I see, there's several groups backed up, and it doesn't make much sense for one group to let you through, only for you to then have to wait behind another, then go through, wait more, play through another, etc.... If the course is really backed up, then a single is going to have to just wait it out.

It's one of my current frustrations, as there's really no course, day or time where I can hit a course and whip around in two hours. Everywhere, every day and every time is nearly a full course.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I don't care what groups have what "standing" or what the policies are. This boils down to common sense. In general (and I'm using the courses I play as an example) I agree with iacas, letting a single play through often only slows down the course. It really depends on how busy the course is though. Obviously, if the course is empty it's common courtesy for a larger, slower group to let a single go through. But if it's busy, then that will just clog the rest of the course. It's unrealistic for a single to expect to be able to play through group after group.

I wouldn't ask to play through... as a single and new to the game (by your own admission) I'd wait for them to waive or ask you to go through. I also would make sure not to hit into them. No problem taking extra putts on the green.

As far as Burner vs Callaway Big Bertha. I dunno man... you probably, in the long run, won't notice much difference.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I agree about not going through group after group, I meant in the evenings when its open golf and there is just one group ahead of me. I have noticed two ends of the spectrum, one end is pretty casual and friendly, the other (which is not for the most part at the club I am at) tend to act like they own the course or are better than they really are. I have no room to talk I know that, but the people I have learned from taught me ready golf, I was reading the thread about slow play and I agree, even as a beginner it still is frusturating when you are watching four guys standing around on a green instead eyeing up putts and being ready to go. Or two carts with 4 people watching as one guy hits the ball. Thanks for all the info though!

Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!