IGNORED

Overswing? Please help!

BenGolf19
Note: This thread is 4152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Power doesn't come from "coiling". There's no invisible rubber band inside you that twists around if you coil and then releases for awesomesauce power...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by BenGolf19

Bubba is also 6'3 with a ridiculous arc. Corey is only 5'9 so that is irrelevant and yes I know why I restrict my hips in the backswing because it is part of coiling and power. If you watch the video it's not like my hips dont turn a degree or my leg stays perfectly flexed. That is my feeling. I dont want the "feeling of my hips turning in the backswing. It's power. Dustin johnson has a shoulder turn of 119 degrees with a 45 degree hip turn. That is power. And like I said it is all "feelings"

Sergio Garcia is 5'10" and he's not a short hitter, so you can't really correlate height and driving distance. I'm personally of the school that's against restricting the hip turn. If I turn my shoulders separately from my hips, that's a natural byproduct of my backswing. It's not something I'm actively seeking to achieve. I believe that actively restricting the hip turn will only cause you to restrict your shoulder turn, which leads you to lift your arms to compensate (I mentioned this before).

As for Dustin Johnson, have you seen the pics of him in a one legged squat or standing on a balance ball? That guy is crazy strong! A lot of his strength has to do with his fitness routine, not whether he turns his hips a lot or not. Have you ever seen professional football players hit golf balls? I vaguely remember seeing a long drive competition where A.J. Hawk hit a driver like 340 and I'm pretty sure he just muscled it out there (or scared it off the tee).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I wasnt saying that you need height to hit the ball. I was saying it is unfair to compare corey pavin and bubba watson when they have completely different bodies and capabilities. And actually power does come from coiling. It's getting as much shoulder turn with the least amount of hip turn. It's the modern golf swing.

I like big putts and I cannot lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8N-N4FEoMY

Watch that video. Hips turn back maybe 45 degrees. Right leg stays flexed, and no lfiting of the arms. Also for me when I purposely turn my hips in the backswing it invites the club to go inside. It's really all a feel. Like I said my hips still turn and my right leg is not perfectly flexed. These are feels and If 70-80% of the best players in the world do it including world number 1, why should I not?

Quote:
And actually power does come from coiling. It's getting as much shoulder turn with the least amount of hip turn. It's the modern golf swing.

Yes it comes from coiling, but think about it this way,

Lets say you rotate your hips more in the backswing, lets say 60 degrees, you get your shoulders to 90 degrees. Now on the downswing, you initiate your downswing with your hips, and you rotate them back 15 degrees towards the target. Guess what, you have the exact same coil as a person who's tried to keep there hips silent in the backswing, trying to maintain to much flexion in that back kneed.

Quote:
These are feels and If 70-80% of the best players in the world do it including world number 1, why should I not?

Do what? Maintain back knee flexion, that degree? How much knee flexion are we talking about, or are you talking about this as a swing thought? Because over the years of watching the golf channel, i have heard maybe a handful of guys actually say they try to maintain as much knee flexion as possible in the back knee.

Our world number 1, Rory, knee Flexion

Swing Sequence: Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods

Less knee flexion

Swing Sequence: Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods

To stay centered on the ball, and not slide away from the target in the backswing, you must loose some flexion in the backswing.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yes it comes from coiling, but think about it this way,

great post.

i was trying to say that the whole "X" Factor swing thought that jim mcclean came up with isnt really good instruction.

Colin P.

As I said before, these are feels. Look at the video. It's not like my leg is staying perfectly flexed and not losing any flex at all. That is just my feel to keep it from being locked. Everyone has different feels.

Note: This thread is 4152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!