IGNORED

Massages - They work

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I sprained my intercoastal muscle 3 weeks ago. The soreness got worse and worse eventually spreading to my left pectoral muscle.

I saw the massage therapist around the corner who worked the sprain out through flushing. Two days later most symptoms were gone, a week later I was back on the course.

I hope this is helpful for those to injure themselves.

And yes lack of stretching and  bad swing induced the sprain.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

That had to be painful. Glad your better. Hate injuries. A certain amount of flushing is also part of stretching as your holding one particular position for a period of time, putting pressure on certain muscles.

“You must stretch.” The message is passed onto exercisers with all types of goals - from weight loss to athletic performance achievement to swinging a golf club. And the message is that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon body part makes exercise and golfing more efficient and may help you prevent injury or muscle soreness. Stretching is often recommended to be included in warm-up and cool-down phases of any exercise.

Golfing is an exercise of many body muscle groups and tendons located in both your upper and lower body. Proper stretching with Golflexx prior to, during and after a round of golf will greatly decrease your risk of injury.

Stretching is not necessarily the same as warming up or cooling down, although stretching may be part of these activities. And to make matters a little more complicated, the benefits of stretching with Golflexx or in general can be considered in four phases:

1. Immediately before a round of golf or exercise
  2. During your round of golf
  3. Immediately after a round of golf
  4. As part of a regular daily program, even when you’re not golfing

Read on to see the following topics of discussion that includes consideration of these various aspects of stretching and warm-up with Golflexx.

Benefits of Stretching with Golflexx

Using Golflexx for a daily stretching routine has been promoted as having the following benefits:

• Increase or maintain flexibility for day-to-day or performance functionality
  • Prevent injury during golf and other exercise activity
  • Increase performance in your overall game of golf
  • Offset muscle soreness after exercise by using your Golflexx properly

Maintain Flexibility

Playing a round of golf and physical activity in general helps us maintain flexibility into older age. By following our specific routine of stretching exercises Golflexx may help in this process.

Prevent Golf Injury

In golf as in many sports activities flexibility is an integral part of the performance requirements, regular stretching to increase flexibility to extreme levels is necessary. While golfing muscles and tendons are stretched and shortened suddenly and powerfully. To prevent the possibility of injury a golfer should warm up properly, stretch prior to swinging a golf club and keep those muscles and tendons loose and free from injury. Using Golflexx will help do this weather you’re a golfer or not.

Increase Performance overall and club head speed

The golf swing produces explosive power coming out of your back swing going into making contact with the ball. This motion transfers into club head speed. With proper warming up and stretching you will increase your chance of producing that speed needed for a longer drive as well as control and consistency.

Golflexx………Stretch it out!

Originally Posted by TonyBenach

That had to be painful. Glad your better. Hate injuries. A certain amount of flushing is also part of stretching as your holding one particular position for a period of time, putting pressure on certain muscles.

“You must stretch.” The message is passed onto exercisers with all types of goals - from weight loss to athletic performance achievement to swinging a golf club. And the message is that increasing the flexibility of a muscle-tendon body part makes exercise and golfing more efficient and may help you prevent injury or muscle soreness. Stretching is often recommended to be included in warm-up and cool-down phases of any exercise.

Golfing is an exercise of many body muscle groups and tendons located in both your upper and lower body. Proper stretching with Golflexx prior to, during and after a round of golf will greatly decrease your risk of injury.

Stretching is not necessarily the same as warming up or cooling down, although stretching may be part of these activities. And to make matters a little more complicated, the benefits of stretching with Golflexx or in general can be considered in four phases:

Immediately before a round of golf or exercise

During your round of golf

Immediately after a round of golf

As part of a regular daily program, even when you’re not golfing

Read on to see the following topics of discussion that includes consideration of these various aspects of stretching and warm-up with Golflexx.

Benefits of Stretching with Golflexx

Using Golflexx for a daily stretching routine has been promoted as having the following benefits:

Increase or maintain flexibility for day-to-day or performance functionality

Prevent injury during golf and other exercise activity

Increase performance in your overall game of golf

Offset muscle soreness after exercise by using your Golflexx properly

Maintain Flexibility

Playing a round of golf and physical activity in general helps us maintain flexibility into older age. By following our specific routine of stretching exercises Golflexx may help in this process.

Prevent Golf Injury

In golf as in many sports activities flexibility is an integral part of the performance requirements, regular stretching to increase flexibility to extreme levels is necessary. While golfing muscles and tendons are stretched and shortened suddenly and powerfully. To prevent the possibility of injury a golfer should warm up properly, stretch prior to swinging a golf club and keep those muscles and tendons loose and free from injury. Using Golflexx will help do this weather you’re a golfer or not.

Increase Performance overall and club head speed

The golf swing produces explosive power coming out of your back swing going into making contact with the ball. This motion transfers into club head speed. With proper warming up and stretching you will increase your chance of producing that speed needed for a longer drive as well as control and consistency.

Golflexx………Stretch it out!

The recent sprain really brought that home... Its amazing the new muscle groups I am discovering as I continue to work on my swing...

Strangely enough, when I swing properly: I do not hurt.

Bad swings make me feel bad.

1. Minor sprain of MCL - poor and improper weight transfer and bracing (was out 6 weeks)

2. Sore lower back - Improper stance

3. Sprained Intercostal - Poor swing, Overswinging (was out 1 week, massage shortened recovery time (normally 3 weeks))

The great thing is, you can practically stretch every muscle with out spending money on a device, just google about stretching :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

The great thing is, you can practically stretch every muscle with out spending money on a device, just google about stretching :p

My wife agrees.

I firmly believe that good massages gets rid of a lot of tweaks and aches we encounter on the course. I was panicking because I thought I had ripped my pectoral. It was a bad sprain that needed to be tended to.

The pain was so bad that neither Advil or Ben Gay could stave off the pain. The last resort (short of going to the doctor) was a deep tissue massage.

I use a golfflexx and get a monthly massage - all bases covered here.

The massages began after an operation, when I experienced a "frozen" right shoulder. Cortisone shots allowed me to stretch and scream, but the former masseuse of the Dallas Stars Hockey Team beat the crap out of me with massage. The shoulder recovered completely after a year, but I still get massage on a monthly to beat the heck out of stress buildup.

Big thumbs up to massage therapy. I can't believe I pay someone to beat the crap out of me.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Well its tough to beat the crap out of yourself :p

Though if you invest in a foam roller, or more painful a tennis ball, you can do a pretty good job in giving yourself a massage ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Well its tough to beat the crap out of yourself :p

Though if you invest in a foam roller, or more painful a tennis ball, you can do a pretty good job in giving yourself a massage ;)

Thats a great point Saevel. However I had a major sprain (I really thought I tore cartilege or my pectoral muscle. My therapist found the sprain and worked on it for a mind numbing 20 minutes (let me tell you, it was 20 minutes of pure hell). I got home, drank a lot of water (to continue the flushing process), and was ready to go to the range the day after.

Intercoastals are very painful and there isnt much you can do for it except ice, massage, and rest.

True, there is only a certain level of massage, stretching you can do on your own.

I was at the OSU/Kansas game last saturday, and this player was being stretched out by a assistant, really pushing his knee towards the players chest, getting that hip/groin/glut all stretched out. There is no way that a normal person can get that type of mobility stretch with out a person's help. Well if you have TRX straps, you can probably stick your foot in that, and lean into, so your knee gets closer to your chest, then just move around to deepen the stretch, but that is still a bit tough to do alone.

Lets not talk about if you strain your hip flexors, or Quadratus lumborum, that is just impossible to stretch, because its really deep in the body.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well its tough to beat the crap out of yourself :p  I do use a foam roller But it doesn't do full body :-) Though if you invest in a foam roller, or more painful a tennis ball, you can do a pretty good job in giving yourself a massage ;)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tennis ball man, you can practically hit every muscle you got, just be careful with the pressure, it puts alot of stress on one point, but man it feels good.

But yes, top quality massage therapy, don't think any sort of homemade remedy can match that :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

True, there is only a certain level of massage, stretching you can do on your own.

I was at the OSU/Kansas game last saturday, and this player was being stretched out by a assistant, really pushing his knee towards the players chest, getting that hip/groin/glut all stretched out. There is no way that a normal person can get that type of mobility stretch with out a person's help. Well if you have TRX straps, you can probably stick your foot in that, and lean into, so your knee gets closer to your chest, then just move around to deepen the stretch, but that is still a bit tough to do alone.

Lets not talk about if you strain your hip flexors, or Quadratus lumborum, that is just impossible to stretch, because its really deep in the body.

Oh man... those are brutal injuries... You really have to sit out those... lots of Bayers or Tylenol...

Speaking of tennis balls...

I bought a Shizatzu pillow from HomeMedics 2 years ago. Its great for when you do not have the time to see a massage therapist. The balls in the pillow actually heat up so PLEASE BE careful and do not fall asleep even after the machine stops (I did like an idiot and got a minor burn).

Its great stuff for recovering your back and rear quad muscles...

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!