IGNORED

Need help picking new irons

chezboy
Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a new set of Irons in the next month.  They are having some great sales at my local Golf Town.   I am looking for a very forgiving set of irons.   I have narrowed it down to a couple sets.

Callaway Diablo Edge-R Irons Steel

reg 398.98 sale 368.98

http://www.golftown.com/Callaway-Diablo-Edge-R-Irons-Steel-P6298.aspx

Nike VR_S Irons Steel

reg 649.99  sale  448.98

http://www.golftown.com/Nike-VR_S-Irons-Steel-P4607.aspx

PING G15 Irons Steel

reg 899.99  sale  475.00

http://www.golftown.com/PING-G15-Irons-Steel-P1063.aspx

I would like the most forgiving set of clubs but if two are comparable I would probably choose based on which one was the better deal.    I am also open to any other forgiving clubs that are available at golftown.com  i would perfer to buy a set of irons that were on sale right now instead of paying full price especially with such a huge selection on sale right now.

If anyone has any ideas, different choices, or opinions all replys are appreciated.   thanks.

I'm in the same boat - all the irons today are good - comes down to preference. In your price range, the taylormade 2.0 burners are $399 on sale - that's what I would get. I'm going to spend a little more and get R11's or CB3's

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go to the store, swing a few, find a shaft you like. Those models you listed will all play basically the same in terms of the heads.

Also, look at Wilson staff's irons, particularly the Ci9, Ci11, and Di series. They are often overlooked, but very underrated.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Go to the store, swing a few, find a shaft you like. Those models you listed will all play basically the same in terms of the heads.

Also, look at Wilson staff's irons, particularly the Ci9, Ci11, and Di series. They are often overlooked, but very underrated.

I have taken a few swings with these irons but the problem is that I they are all to short for me so its hard to get a good feel for the irons.  I will have to buy a set, get them extended, and then hope I made the right choice.

You can never go wrong with a Ping iron IMO but like others have stated, try out a bunch of different options. Avoid getting something just because it is a "good" deal. All of the previous model year clubs will be on sale and they will probably keep going down in price. If you haven't already you should go visit the store because they will usually have better deals than what are listed online.

How much do you plan on extending the clubs? If it is a lot (a few inches) you may want to consider maybe getting a used set and paying for new longer shafts instead of adding adapters. If you search the forum there have been a few discussions about issues with extensions. Good luck with your search.

If you like the Diablo set, you want to ask if they can give you a better price, I know they were on sale for 298.00 over the holidays, may be worth inquiring.

Originally Posted by chezboy

I have taken a few swings with these irons but the problem is that I they are all to short for me so its hard to get a good feel for the irons.  I will have to buy a set, get them extended, and then hope I made the right choice.

How tall are you, out of curiosity? I thought I'd need .5"-1" over length clubs at first, but in fact it's rare to need much extra length. You'd need to be 6'3" or so before really thinking about nonstandard lengths, especially considering all the irons you listed are super long anyway, being SGI clubs. The lie adjustment is more important to fitting unless you're either very tall or have very short/long arms for your height. I use +2 lies, but standard length.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Premium-Right-Hand-Steel-Regular/dp/B006CG340O/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid;=1358112429&sr;=8-2-fkmr0&keywords;=wilson+ci9+irons

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Staff-Ci9-Control-Iron/dp/B005DX6EWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1358112429&sr;=8-1&keywords;=wilson+ci9+irons

Ci11 for about 300, and the near identical ci9 for 250. Both are pretty nice, and you'll have enough money to bend the lies left over if need be. Plus these irons are very forgiving but still worth growing into, being a touch more compact. Possibly a bit less offset and not as shovelly as the G15s and the lot, but if you can't make these work you need lessons. Very low CG, strong lofts, and high launching.

You can always reshaft them if you need an upgrade, I nearly bought them myself. I decided to go with component irons, since I wanted a very specific shaft and it was going to cost me oodles of money to get them put in an OEM set. I used Golfworks since they have an assembly service, so I got to pick the shafts and specs I wanted. Costs me about 640 for a full set of 8 once all is said and done, since I'm buying them one by one due to money restrictions. Mind you, 35$ per club was the shaft alone, 10$ assembly, 10$ grip, and 25 for each head. You could get it done for a lot less if you pick cheaper components. I basically got a set that would cost me 1200$ to get it custom from an OEM.

Good luck whatever you choose though, having been iron shopping myself lately, I know how tough it is.

In My Bag:

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

How tall are you, out of curiosity? I thought I'd need .5"-1" over length clubs at first, but in fact it's rare to need much extra length. You'd need to be 6'3" or so before really thinking about nonstandard lengths, especially considering all the irons you listed are super long anyway, being SGI clubs. The lie adjustment is more important to fitting unless you're either very tall or have very short/long arms for your height. I use +2 lies, but standard length.

I am 6'6"

Originally Posted by chezboy

I am 6'6"

Fair enough, that's about tall enough to really need a shaft extension. If you can find a shop that will give you the +1" or whatever you need for a reasonable cost, by all means go with it. If you do decide to go the component route, however, be aware that they can build over length clubs to order rather than needing to modify an existing set. Many shops overcharge for the work, especially for reshafting.

In My Bag:

Originally Posted by keb

I was fitted for the Ping G15 and my iron play improved significantly.

Same here, I purchased the G15s on sale, was fitted free of charge at Golfsmith, had the clubs made and shipped to the store where I picked them up a week or two later. I think they are a great club and you cannot beat Ping's customer service in case you have an issue. Go to their Facebook page and listen to what Ping player have to say.

You are getting some great advice. The Pings will serve you well.

They are finely tuned and if they will give you the sale price and fit you...with the right shaft, grips (6'6" probably need a little build up), right lie, you will have a good set of irons that will serve you well.

In the end, you won't be out on the golf course feeling great because you got 8% more of a discount on one set of clubs than the other. Your joy in the game will hopefully be about the number of well struck irons you played.

I would stay away from the Burner irons and those like it where they have basically screwed with the loft angles on the irons to artificially increase the distance that you can hit each iron. In essence, They decreased the loft on the irons making them play at least one full club longer. Consequently, when you get down to the pitching wedge you have an unreasonable gap between it and your next wedge.

Swinging a shaft analyzer will also really help you get a shaft that helps you produce consistent ball flight and give you the opportunity to see how different shafts would affect your trajectory.

Enjoy...it is always a lot of fun when you know you are getting new clubs.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30040908/callaway-razr-x-5-pw-iron-set-with-steel-shafts    I would be sure to check these out. Fantastic choice in my honest opinion. They are ultra forgiving, and look better at address than the G15. The razr x are newer than the diablo edge, and cheaper. Hope this helps you in your search.

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!