IGNORED

What clubs do I need to add???

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello there!

I've been a recreational golfer for years, just getting out and enjoying the game, but i started to really get a passion for golf and am determined to get my scores lower. The clubs i currently have are: driver, fairway wood, 4 hybrid, 5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge, and putter. Should i get any more clubs (i was thinking 50, 58, 60 degree wedges or something)? Will purchasing the clubs help to lower my score? I think there high flight, little stopping distance could help my a lot... I also dont have a SW... Explainations would be appreciated also! :)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Basically, a sand wedge of 56 or 58 degrees, and maybe a gap wedge of 50 or 52 depending on your PW's loft. I wouldn't worry about carrying an extra wedge, or an extra long club, unless you're a long hitter with big gaps in yardages.

The gap wedge should help you with chipping and making it easier to hit that distance with a full shot rather than a partial shot. The sand wedge will be your workhorse from the sand and possibly pitches and chips around the green and from rough. The rest of your set seems fine until you get better and learn what areas you need to suit to your game (like if you need more hybrids or a different combo of long clubs).

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I added a 56 degree for my Sand wedge and a 52 degree gap wedge as well . Recently I took out my 5 wood and added a 60 degree wedge which I love for those short shots over traps and water when you need it to fly high and land soft . My 56 has the highest bounce so it is the one I always use for sand shots .

I thought I might miss the 5 wood but between my 3 wood and 3 hybrid I have most long fairway shots covered .

Whats in my bag
FT5 Driver
XFairway 3 Wood
X Fairway 5 Wood
X Hybrids 3 and 4X 18 Irons 5 to PW Vokey Wedges 52 and 56 degree Anser II Putter that I love E6

I used to have Driver, 3W, 5W, 3H, 4H, 5I-PW, 50 degree, 56 degree SW.  Started having a problem with the distance between PW and 50 wedge.  PW goes about 125 and 50 wedge goes about 90.  I never really used or had a need for my 5W so I got rid of it and added a 46 degree wedge which goes about 105-110, perfect to fill the gap.  I have flirted with the idea of getting rid of 3H and getting a 60 degree lob wedge.

Since you have only 10 clubs in your bag you definitely should have some wedges.  You can carry 14 clubs, so I would at least get a Sand Wedge and a Gap Wedge, to bridge the gap between PW and SW.  After that it's up to you whether or not to add another wedge maybe 60 or a 3H.  I do all of my chipping/pitching with my 50 and 56 wedges.  Every once in a while I wish I had a 60 wedge for those, "need to get up quick shots"

Originally Posted by Youngbear11213

Hello there!

I've been a recreational golfer for years, just getting out and enjoying the game, but i started to really get a passion for golf and am determined to get my scores lower. The clubs i currently have are: driver, fairway wood, 4 hybrid, 5 iron, 6 iron, 7 iron, 8 iron, 9 iron, pitching wedge, and putter. Should i get any more clubs (i was thinking 50, 58, 60 degree wedges or something)? Will purchasing the clubs help to lower my score? I think there high flight, little stopping distance could help my a lot... I also dont have a SW... Explainations would be appreciated also! :)

Thoughts? Thanks!

If the only wedge you have is a PW then I would recommend getting a sand wedge (54-56 degree) and learning to use it for various shots. I think that if you buy 3 other wedges all at once and you are not use to them, you may give yourself too many options and create problems.

If you are worried about distance gaps between your pitching wedge and a sand wedge you could practice three quarter and half shots with your PW to make up the difference and the shorter swings may even lead to more consistent contact and ball flight. Just make sure to practice with whatever you buy and learn how and when to use it.

Also it's worth noting that shaft length is a major factor in the distance the wedge will go, don't assume all 56'es will go the same. If I have a 35.5 PW at 48, which for me goes 140ish on a full shot, then a 60 at 35 inches, I could get a 54 to fill the set but depending on the length it could make a 5 yard difference or so either way, not to mention the swingweight difference. The head itself will make a small difference, whether it's a blade or matches your irons. Just don't get the right loft and still have messed up gaps because of this.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

You could use a sand wedge, 54* to 56*. Also, how well do you hit  your fairway wood? If it's a 3W and iffy, you might swamp it for a 4W and gain a couple degrees of loft. (Many golfers can hit a 4W better - and sometimes farther - than a 3W).

Later on, you could think about a GW, or a LW.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!