IGNORED

slicing wood's/driver but not irons

Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@EverythingGolf.     What's OTT?

And is that old guy in one of your photos using an extra long shaft, let's say 72 inches?.  Long shafts can increase clubhead speed but at the high price of no ball control.  Is there not a limit on shaft length, also a limit on  driver head size?

well i have a simmilar problom i hit my woods and irons as strait as can be and then i pul out the driver which is 10.5 diablo octane dg s300 shaft and it goes like 100 yards straight and then turns dramaticaly right and i cant figure it out. i dont go over the top i have a nutral grip. but i dont understand whats wrong i cut down my driver to 44 inches and my 3 woods 33 inches with the smae shaft and i hit it fine any ideas

Originally Posted by Spencer6392

well i have a simmilar problom i hit my woods and irons as strait as can be and then i pul out the driver which is 10.5 diablo octane dg s300 shaft and it goes like 100 yards straight and then turns dramaticaly right and i cant figure it out. i dont go over the top i have a nutral grip. but i dont understand whats wrong i cut down my driver to 44 inches and my 3 woods 33 inches with the smae shaft and i hit it fine any ideas

If the ball is starting straight and then bending dramatically right then you are cutting across it, coming over the top, swinging out to in or whatever you want to call it.

Originally Posted by joekelly

@EverythingGolf.     What's OTT?

And is that old guy in one of your photos using an extra long shaft, let's say 72 inches?.  Long shafts can increase clubhead speed but at the high price of no ball control.  Is there not a limit on shaft length, also a limit on  driver head size?

OTT = over the top.

The video was zoomed in thats why it looks like that.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mordan

If the ball is starting straight and then bending dramatically right then you are cutting across it, coming over the top, swinging out to in or whatever you want to call it.

That is correct. You are swinging out-to-in (OTT).

5 Simple Keys® Associate

and also i only do this on the course when im on the range i hit perfect drivers so what would that mean

In my opinion, you might be swinging too hard and starting the swing with your shoulders making you come OTT. I have found that on the range I swing a little smoother and slower thus making good drives, and on the course I have to consciously tell myself to slow down on my drives because im trying to kill it which causes my slice. My 2 cents :)

- Jered

The reason I have slicing problems with my driver/woods is I need all the extra yards I can get so I sometimes overswing which does more harm than good.But I also posted this on another slicing thread.Maybe it will help too

"Try pausing at the top which helps to slow things down.Golf swing is about tempo.The end of the grip/club will be pointing down to the golf ball as you start the backswing.Keep it pointing to the golf ball as long as possible during the downswing and your distance and contact will be so much better.Its easier said than done.I still struggle with it but making some good strides."

You hit better irons into greens because it is shorter and you are trying to hit a distance/target, instead of just hitting it as far as possible...try swinging your driver with the same mindframe/tempo as you do with your irons, it'll probaly go further and straighter.

It could be something as simple as having the ball too far forward. You could try moving the ball back slightly in your stance with the driver/woods and see if that makes any difference.

You can use head covers instead of baskets.

• Upvote 1

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

All you have to do is put it on youtube then post it here.

Unfortunately I do not use YouTube.  I may have to work on getting an account though because I really want to upload my swing videos and get some feedback.  How much does YouTube cost per month?

Originally Posted by keeps21

It could be something as simple as having the ball too far forward. You could try moving the ball back slightly in your stance with the driver/woods and see if that makes any difference.

Great idea.  I was working on this last night.  Over time the ball had crept way too far forward in my stance with my driver and 3W.  I was at the range last night and moved it back while strengthened my grip and like magic the ball went straight.  It still had a little fade on it but it was completely manageable.  Moving the ball back + stronger grip + flat/bowed left wrist (at the top of backswing) = much straighter ball flight for me.

I guess overtime I let the ball creep too far forward and as this was happening I weakened my grip too.  Thus I was frequently slicing the ball.  To combat this at first I did what many people do on the course while they are playing to try to fix this......and that was to open my stance more and aim more left.  This does not work as I found out the hard way.  It's tough when you are slicing the driver to keep a square or closed stance because your mind is arguing against this move since you do not want the ball to go to the right.  I am going to have to force myself to do this though and make sure that my grip is strong and my left wrist is not cupped.  It's such a huge difference when my left wrist is not cupped at the top of the backswing as it makes the transition to the downswing so much easier and avoids coming OTT.

Originally Posted by bjwestner

Unfortunately I do not use YouTube.  I may have to work on getting an account though because I really want to upload my swing videos and get some feedback.  How much does YouTube cost per month?

Its FREE,  just signup.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Note: This thread is 4056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!