IGNORED

Dog picks up your ball and runs away with it

achadha7

I play on a public course and there are a few dogs and pups on the course,Playing today my 2nd shot lands close to the green (abt 40yards out) , i spot the ball and me and my playing partner start talking walking towards the ball and on reachin wgere the ball landed cant find the ball, 10 mins later the grp behind us tells us the dogs picked up the ball and ran away to almost the place from where i had hit my 2nd stroke , about 170 yards back, now where do i play from? Where the ball lies now or where i supposedly hit it ? I played from where it lies now but what do the rules dictate ?

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

Originally Posted by achadha7

I play on a public course and there are a few dogs and pups on the course,Playing today my 2nd shot lands close to the green (abt 40yards out) , i spot the ball and me and my playing partner start talking walking towards the ball and on reachin wgere the ball landed cant find the ball, 10 mins later the grp behind us tells us the dogs picked up the ball and ran away to almost the place from where i had hit my 2nd stroke , about 170 yards back, now where do i play from? Where the ball lies now or where i supposedly hit it ? I played from where it lies now but what do the rules dictate ?

Normally a dog is an outside agency so you would continue under rule 18-1 and would replace the ball to its original position. BUT, in this case you should have had to go back and hit from where you hit your second shot adding on penalty stroke because you did not find the ball until after the 5 min limit for searching for it. After 5 minutes you should have declared the ball was lost. Rule 27-1.

18-1 . By Outside Agency

If a ball at rest is moved by an outside agency , there is no penalty and the ball must be replaced.

Note: It is a question of fact whether a ball has been moved by an outside agency . In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that an outside agency has moved the ball. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must play the ball as it lies or, if the ball is not found, proceed under Rule 27-1 .

27-1 . Stroke and Distance; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

c . Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player’s side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke , as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5 ).

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have this problem on a regular basis with crows taking the ball from fairways.

Normal weekly play (UK so not for handicap) we'll agree the crow took the ball and allow a drop.

If we're in a comp unless you or someone else saw the crow take the ball proceed under 27-1.

Thanks 10 mins was just a figure of speech wasn't that long but will keep that in mind. We hand the crow problem as well but they just mess with the yellow balls just move them around.

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

• 9 years later...