• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
texpic

Club face faces sky

My 16-year old daughter is playing pretty well (78 to 85, senior tees).  When she gets to the top her club face faces the sky.  I'm not sure how the heck she does that?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Originally Posted by texpic

My 16-year old daughter is playing pretty well (78 to 85, senior tees).  When she gets to the top her club face faces the sky.  I'm not sure how the heck she does that?  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

What's her left wrist look like at the top from down the line? How's her grip? I'd wager it's in the palm and she feels like she has to support or hold onto the club at the top.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm new to the forum and will try to figure how to post a pic from her top position.  I'll look at her grip, you may have something there.  Thanks!

Closed clubfaces only happen for two reasons.

1. The player moves the heel of the club first

2. Not enough elbow movement in the early stages of the backswing. You want the feel of almost as if you were pull starting a lawnmower. That is how the right elbow moves in the backswing, assuming she is a right handed player.

But dont mess with it if it is not a problem. Many great players had closed clubfaces

Like Erik said, check the grip

Also check out this Kuchar Drill http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/72#post_816439   She loads the shaft very shallow going back.  The grip will help but having the shaft that shallow will throw some alignments out of whack.  And let her know it's ok for her to allow the left knee to flex :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
  • Popular Now

• It really depends upon why they're a 15 handicap. A high swing speed is basically all you need to back up the ball. If they can make a 56 degree wedge hiss aggressively, they can probably back it up on firm greens. There are many 15 handicaps who can swing really fast, but hit lots of trees on the way to the green.   Sure, this is true. Even instructors who've been "doing it for years" and "seen 100,000s of thousands of golfers" can make be mistaken about someone's ability. The problem is no one knows what's going on "in your swing" except yourself. Even then, may of us don't know. The 300 yard 20 capper example you gave is not unrealistic. An old instructor who fit many clubs over half a century told me that the average male should be able to get 105mph swing speed. He based this on understanding mechanics and seeing people's swings are not even close to optimal. He's a TGM advocate, but seems to know his stuff. On the internet could sound just like a 76 year old kooky golfer, but in real life he makes a lot of sense.
    • I'm not very good. With that being said, my yardage gaps are consistent (10-15yds) all the way through my bag so fairway shots >95 yards are always full shots for me. I practice <95yd shots on the range regularly, so I am capable of rolling a 3/4 swing out across my bag. Now, I'm not very good (remember?). With that being said, I am in trouble frequently off the tee and I have to focus on less-than-full swings regularly to get the ball back in play. Off-fairway/slight trouble, my go-to play is a 6i since i can keep it low (read: under a tree) and can control distance "pretty well" anywhere from 100-150yds, typically staying within 20 yards of intended target. Sometimes this is more of a punch shot, other times I am trying to draw it around trees (mostly unsuccessfully). But - If I am my full 6i distance though, I am hitting a full 6. The biggest problem I have is instead of taking a 3/4 full swing, I have the tendency to decelerate leading me to hit about 24" behind the ball - this is why I typically opt in for full swings when I can. Purely Mental... Maybe I'll get on the range and try this "flighting" technique a bit more  
    • not all that unusual design. It is older but, I remember seeing similar about twenty years ago that looked to have been CNC Milled, cylindrical, but not with end caps. The head also did not have a flat face. The idea was to impart top spin. You would hit just like any putter, not like a croquet mallet. Not sure of the legality, but if I were to design something like that, I would have the ends as wheels and use a push stroke as in shuffle board. Dumb? Maybe, Effective?, probably, Different? definitely.
    • I did a ball fitting at one of the golf superstores a few years ago and wasn't satisfied.  First they asked me what brand of ball I wanted to try, and then it turned out they recommended the most expensive ball of that brand.  I would like to be able to start from scratch and have them give me recommendations on different brands and models based on my swing parameters, maybe narrow it down to 3 balls that wont make a difference with which one I pick.
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. AggieZac
      AggieZac
      (23 years old)
    2. BAnderson
      BAnderson
      (37 years old)
    3. bwoody
      bwoody
      (45 years old)
    4. homertpb