IGNORED

game management.....

Note: This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In an attempt to lower my scores, I totally changed my game management approach at the end of last season.  Instead of worrying about how I'm going to get on a green in 2 or 3 shots on a Par 5 I worry about what shot I want going into the green.  I'm very accurate with my PW-SW but struggle with 50 yards and less chip and pitch shots, which I work on during practice but now avoid during rounds I count towards handicap.

For example, on a Par 5, 450 yard hole before the change to my game management I'd try to hit driver or 3w which would usually be 220 - 240 yards around of fairway or lost in the woods.  Best case my 2nd shot was 210 yards which was either a 3w or 3h and I'd usually best case end up short of the green with a awkward distance chip or pitch shot or in the bunker/rough/woods/water.  Typically, by the time I got on the green, I was putting 5 or 6 depending on the penalties and flubbed shots.

Now I play that same hole so that my shot into the green is always between 80-120 yards so I can use a full wedge shot.  Since I want about 100 yard shot to the green I now just have to worry about how I get to 350 in 2 shots, which for me is a 3h off the tee and 5i or 6i.  I rarely will miss the fairway with a hybrid or long iron off the tee, and my 5i or 6i is good enough to get me where I need to be off a decent fairway lie.  Using this approach, I will always be putting 4, which kills my chances at eagles and pretty much birdies but allows me to hit pars and bogeys more regularly.

Regardless of the distance you can hit, if you work backwards from the hole, you're likely going to score better unless you have a great short game.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would definitely suggest kinda what you have been saying. Most armatures have a mindset that they need to get the ball as close to the green as possible at all times. For some this may work but for most it is better to set yourself up with an approach shot you are comfortable with. There is also less room for error when hitting a mid iron instead of a FW. Also this about the whole from the tee box. Say you are playing a par % hole that is 540 yards. Say you kit your 6 iron 180 yards. If you hit your 5 iron 3 times you end up on or around the green. It has been my experience that if you have a game plan before playing the hole your mind then knows what you are planning to do and there is less to think about. ...Just food for thought. Hope it helps

Originally Posted by gimpie

Hey bj,

Just curious what course youre playing at?

Hi gimpie.....I am a member at Montgomery Country Club in Laytonsville MD.  Thus that is the course that I play the most.  I play the white tees which are about 6350 yards, the rating is 70.6 and slope is 128.  The blue tees (which are the tips) are too long and tough for me right now.  They play about 6800 yards.

I am playing in Northern VA twice this upcoming weekend though.  On Saturday I am playing very early at Forest Greens and then later on Saturday I am playing in a scramble tournament at the Gauntlet.  Both are in northern VA.  I've never played either course, my good friend who I play with all the time at my club has played both and set up both rounds.  Looking forward to it!

Where do you usually play at?

How often do you one-putt after an approach from 125-150 (birdie)?  I'd say I do that maybe 5-10% of the time.  I'd say 60% of the time I either hit the green and 2-putt or miss and get up and down for par.  30% of the time I either 3-putt or miss and don't get up and down and walk away with bogey.  Compare that to what you do from 250 yards out with a 3w.  Maybe you get on and 1-putt for eagle only 1% of the time, but you get on and 2-putt or miss but get up and down for birdie 20% of the time.  And maybe 60% of the time you miss, chip, and two-putt for par 60% of the time.  To get a bogey you either need a penalty or a bad 3W followed by a bad pitch or putt.

So the odds of getting an eagle are non-existent when you lay up, the odds of getting a birdie are down, and the odds of getting par are about the same.

Now, if you're 3W is going into the woods, or if there is water next to the green, that changes everything.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 4046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!