IGNORED

How many here are guilty of ever hitting into anyone?

tmf9
Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thankfully, never more than a few bounces and a nudge on the leg.

I've been hit on the back about 35yrs ago, on the head about 25yrs ago. And the cruncher, hit in the mouth last August. The ambulance paramedics weren't happy, so called in the helicopter ambulance.

Originally Posted by Chunky

I would have looked him in the eye and said I didn't realize you guys were so slow.

The ones that get me are the guys that get upset because your ball landed and rolled to a stop 30 yards behind and you knew that was the best you were going to do.

Oh they knew we were right on their ass the whole time.  I practically had to wait every single shot for 6 holes, and the thing is NOBODY was in front of them, it was really pissing me off it was almost like they were to good to let us play through.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Rehmwa: the only non-inexcusable explanation I would accept is that one of the group just had a MI and they were waiting for the helicopter to show up. Other than that ..... haul you a**es to the next tee area you chumps! If there are others there, wait your turn and don't start talking in a high voice. This isn't brain surgery. :>)

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Anyone who's played a lot of golf has hit into people by accident.  I've done it by accident many times over the years.......always by accident!!

(usually at players playing a different hole) lol

My most memorable example happened on a par5.  The group ahead was putting on the green when I had 257yds to the pin.   I could easily hit 3-wood on, but the greens were firm and I knew the back of the green is shaved and rolls downhill into a lake.....so I decided going for the green was not the best play for this situation.  If I hit 3-wood....I knew the lake behind was in play.   I opted to lay-up aggressively 20yds short with a 4-rescue club.   My target was to lay-up 20yds short to leave myself a simple pitch to give myself a quality birdie opportunity.   The approach came off low and hot.....landed well short of the green and tumbled on......and rolled to within 5' of the cup while the group we were following were still putting........WOOOPS!!

I immediately drove to the green to apologize before they finished putting, and they accepted my apology in the good spirit of the game.  My group caught them waiting on a par3 tee a couple holes later, and they made a point to enthusiastically ask me if I made the eagle putt...LOL    I was happy to respond with a YES!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'd also like to add.....If I am playing behind a slow group when there are open holes ahead of them..........I skip ahead of them.  Hitting into golfers on purpose is never a good option!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

The biggest danger to other golfers from me is that if I ever miss to the right I hit the ball ridiculous distances. Even golfers two fairways over and down far enough to not even be in my thoughts are in danger.

Luckily (for the golfing public) most of my misses are left, and usually hooked, and they at least don't go very far.

I just wish there was some way for me to hit my own fairway with the distance I get on those straight blocks to the right.

I think I hold a record at the course I usually play as the only person to ever drive number 12 green. The only problem was that I did it from number 16 tee box (across two other fairways). I think that record is safe because anybody that can hit the ball that far is too good to ever miss that far right.

Me and my uncle were playing and this foresome of golfers had been holding us up all day.  We had been stuck behind them for six holes and they approached every shot like it was Sunday at Augusta.  About 5 practices swings for each shot and they looked at every putt from every angle known to man.  One thing I really lack in life is patience, especially on a golf course.  Finally we got to a 320 yard uphill par 4.  We got up to the tee box right before they left and they didn't even look back at us to motion us through (and there was no one at all in front of them holding them up)  So I proceed to watch them play the whole until they all get on the green (took at least 15 minutes)  I said to my uncle "I really feel like just going for it right now" I said it in a tone that I wanted to do it, but I wasn't going to but to my surprise he said "go for it."   I figured I couldn't carry it on the green so I wasn't going to hurt anyone, but I definitely knew I could get it there.  Well I absolutely murdered the drive, and ended up flying it in the greenside trap.  When I got up there to my drive they were just leaving the green and the longest hitter at the course (used to be in long drive competitions and is about 6'4 240lbs of solid muscle) was giving me the look that he wanted to beat my ass and I said "didn't know I'd hit it that far" and looked him right in the eye.  He said yeah i'm sure and turned away and walked to 15.  I kind of felt like a dick on one hand for hitting into them, but on the other I felt like they deserved it, and that was the best way to send a message.  Be honest how many of you are guilty of doing the same thing?

Nope, I think forget that waiting is part of the game and when you play by yourself or with 1 other Person, you need to expect to wait. If you really can't wait, skip the hole! When I play with my friends, we play fast, like 1hr per 9 holes fast (most of the time on twilight specials after work), I often skip past people, but would never hit at them. On the flipside, when I play with my family, they play sloooow (like 5hrs slow), and people often play around us, if someone was to hit at us, I would be seriously pissed. My 220lbs of muscle would probably be putting someone in the hospital. Keep that in mind next time you hit on someone, it is only a matter of time before someone breaks your face. What is the hurry anyway? Enjoy being out there, and if time is limited, skip past please. (for my family's sake... Haha)

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Nope, I think forget that waiting is part of the game and when you play by yourself or with 1 other Person, you need to expect to wait.

If you really can't wait, skip the hole!

When I play with my friends, we play fast, like 1hr per 9 holes fast (most of the time on twilight specials after work), I often skip past people, but would never hit at them.

On the flipside, when I play with my family, they play sloooow (like 5hrs slow), and people often play around us, if someone was to hit at us, I would be seriously pissed. My 220lbs of muscle would probably be putting someone in the hospital. Keep that in mind next time you hit on someone, it is only a matter of time before someone breaks your face.

What is the hurry anyway? Enjoy being out there, and if time is limited, skip past please. (for my family's sake... Haha)

If there is room for people to play around you why don't you just let them play through?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We always let them play through if they are around the tee at the same time or they ask any time. I guess my point is I try to be as considerate as possible to everyone on the course and I would just looking to see the same consideration thrown back at me.

Nope, I think forget that waiting is part of the game and when you play by yourself or with 1 other Person, you need to expect to wait.

If you really can't wait, skip the hole!

When I play with my friends, we play fast, like 1hr per 9 holes fast (most of the time on twilight specials after work), I often skip past people, but would never hit at them.

On the flipside, when I play with my family, they play sloooow (like 5hrs slow), and people often play around us, if someone was to hit at us, I would be seriously pissed. My 220lbs of muscle would probably be putting someone in the hospital. Keep that in mind next time you hit on someone, it is only a matter of time before someone breaks your face.

What is the hurry anyway? Enjoy being out there, and if time is limited, skip past please. (for my family's sake... Haha)

Im about 6'4 205lbs of muscle, and I used to take boxing and mma lessons, so I'm not scared off too many golfers, (although i did hit into the one guy on the course that probably would beat my ass so i get your point) but it wasn't so much I was in a hurry as the principle of it.  If you have someone behind you litterally every shot you hit for six holes, it can't be enjoyable for you, and it surely isn't fun for the group stuck behind.  I was just fed up with it because it wasn't the first time, (or second, third, fourth, etc) and I know many others who have complained about the slow play too.    Like I said I realize this wasn't the smartest way to go about things but it's not like I did it for no reason either

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Originally Posted by tmf9

Im about 6'4 205lbs of muscle,

Hey, me too!  (Actually 6'-3")

Oh, and on top of the 205 lbs. of muscle, there is another 60 or so pounds of, hmmmm, shall we say, NOT muscle?

• Upvote 2

I did it in the early NOOB days when I "pured" a mid range iron for the first time in my life and sailed way past where I'd ever hit it before.  The guys in front of us were justifiably pissed as the ball landed on the fringe of the green where they were putting. I apologized like hell but it was not pretty.    It was a very exclusive club and the guy got in the cart and drove 180 yards back down the fairway to yell at me,  demanded to know what member we were playing with, etc. etc.    Not such good times.  That scarred me for life, and I still wait for groups in front of me to clear even if I"m having one of those days where it feels like every second shot is a skulled worm burner.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Hey, me too!  (Actually 6'-3")

Oh, and on top of the 205 lbs. of muscle, there is another 60 or so pounds of, hmmmm, shall we say, NOT muscle?

That's even more betterier.

-Rocket Ballzier

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

We played Knollwood last year and after waiting for the group to clear the fairway, I was coaxed to tee off so I did. I saw my ball launch but I didn't see it land because of undulating fairways. In a minute or so, I saw the group ahead of us appear over the crest of the hill. I knew right then and there that I must have drove into them. When we got closer, the group ahead of us were waiting for us. A Korean fellow was standing in the middle of the fairway and he looked pissed. He kept waving at me to come up to see him. I was reluctant but I knew I owed them an apology. When I drove up in the cart, I could see a red faced fellow ready to give it to me. He explained that my ball landed pretty close behind them and when he turned around, the ball bounced and ran up his leg. I asked him if he was hurt and all he could say was that I was wrong in teeing off. I apologized over and over again but it didn't matter to him. He looked like someone that would sue for damages. After that experience, I try to get a visual of the group ahead before teeing off. Lesson learned.

Im about 6'4 205lbs of muscle, and I used to take boxing and mma lessons, so I'm not scared off too many golfers, (although i did hit into the one guy on the course that probably would beat my ass z7_no.gif so i get your point) but it wasn't so much I was in a hurry as the principle of it.  If you have someone behind you litterally every shot you hit for six holes, it can't be enjoyable for you, and it surely isn't fun for the group stuck behind.  I was just fed up with it because it wasn't the first time, (or second, third, fourth, etc) and I know many others who have complained about the slow play too.    Like I said I realize this wasn't the smartest way to go about things but it's not like I did it for no reason either

Eh, live and learn right? You probably shouldn't have hit on them, but they probably should have let you play through a long time ago so call it square.

Eh, live and learn right? You probably shouldn't have hit on them, but they probably should have let you play through a long time ago so call it square.

I have to disagree with you here.  While the group should have let him play through, at most their actions was causing him frustration.  Anytime someone hits in the group ahead of them, especially out of frustration, you are putting those people at risk to serious injury.  Getting frustrated and getting smacked in the head/face by a golf ball are not comparable.

If a group ahead of me is slow and doesn't let me play through I take 3 courses of action.

1) I ask to play through.  I see to many people here that get seemingly upset because a group ahead didn't let them play through but yet they never asked either.

2) If I ask and they refuse I simply call the ranger and ask him to correct the situation.  If the ranger is worth his salt he will make them let you play through.

3) I skip a hole and get in front of them.

While skipping a hole isn't my preferred method it is most certainly better than risking injury and/or confrontation over a game.

Jeff

I have to disagree with you here.  While the group should have let him play through, at most their actions was causing him frustration.  Anytime someone hits in the group ahead of them, especially out of frustration, you are putting those people at risk to serious injury.  Getting frustrated and getting smacked in the head/face by a golf ball are not comparable.  If a group ahead of me is slow and doesn't let me play through I take 3 courses of action. 1) I ask to play through.  I see to many people here that get seemingly upset because a group ahead didn't let them play through but yet they never asked either. 2) If I ask and they refuse I simply call the ranger and ask him to correct the situation.  If the ranger is worth his salt he will make them let you play through. 3) I skip a hole and get in front of them. While skipping a hole isn't my preferred method it is most certainly better than risking injury and/or confrontation over a game.

We don't disagree, read comment #79, Your right, you should never hit on someone, the game isn't about how fast you can play, it's about enjoying the moment and taking in the game. If you have to play slow, take the time to focus on each shot, there is nothing more rewarding then planning a shot and perfectly executing it.

• Upvote 1

We played Knollwood last year and after waiting for the group to clear the fairway, I was coaxed to tee off so I did. I saw my ball launch but I didn't see it land because of undulating fairways. In a minute or so, I saw the group ahead of us appear over the crest of the hill. I knew right then and there that I must have drove into them. When we got closer, the group ahead of us were waiting for us. A Korean fellow was standing in the middle of the fairway and he looked pissed. He kept waving at me to come up to see him. I was reluctant but I knew I owed them an apology. When I drove up in the cart, I could see a red faced fellow ready to give it to me. He explained that my ball landed pretty close behind them and when he turned around, the ball bounced and ran up his leg. I asked him if he was hurt and all he could say was that I was wrong in teeing off. I apologized over and over again but it didn't matter to him. He looked like someone that would sue for damages. After that experience, I try to get a visual of the group ahead before teeing off. Lesson learned.

If he actually tried to sue he would have lost. That's been tried before and the judge wasn't having it.

Note: This thread is 3796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!