IGNORED

Least Favorite Player

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I don't hate Fowler but what does it say about younger people today.  .that they are attracted by somebody who is heavily marketed but rarely wins?  Younger people are dumbasses, lol.

Perhaps it has something to do with the vast amount of Parody on the PGA tour now.  Really you could say about 99% of tour pros "rarely win"  Younger people like Fowler because he has a personality (something most tour players don't show) he dresses flashy in a way they can relate to, (not the same boring khakis, bland shirt, and bland shoes)  and while he's only won once I think he certainly has the potential to win 3 or 4 majors before he's done. with his career.  The reason Fowler is heavily marketed is because he CAN be heavily marketed.  He's not going to be a Tiger or even a Rory or Phil but he can be a very good golfer.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Perhaps it has something to do with the vast amount of Parody on the PGA tour now.  Really you could say about 99% of tour pros "rarely win"  Younger people like Fowler because he has a personality (something most tour players don't show) he dresses flashy in a way they can relate to, (not the same boring khakis, bland shirt, and bland shoes)  and while he's only won once I think he certainly has the potential to win 3 or 4 majors before he's done. with his career.  The reason Fowler is heavily marketed is because he CAN be heavily marketed.  He's not going to be a Tiger or even a Rory or Phil but he can be a very good golfer.

Parity. Although with the new Dufnering craze and the golf boys, there tends to be a fair amount of parody on tour as well ... i just don't think that has a lot to do with Fowler not winning more. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tmf9

Perhaps it has something to do with the vast amount of Parody on the PGA tour now.

par·o·dy

1: a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule
2: a feeble or ridiculous imitation

par·i·ty

1: the quality or state of being equal or equivalent

Wai[quote name="jimmyc" url="/t/65690/least-favorite-player#post_823826"]Rick Martin said: "I think players like Fowler, Olesen, and Jonas Blixt bring a much needed flair to the PGA."    Just like tatoo's bring a much needed flair to the NBA................Not [/quote] Wait, let me guess...this is coming from a chubby middle aged or older dude who still thinks pleated khakis look good and wears his polo sleeves down to his elbows? And says "not"....
  • Upvote 2

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Wai

Wait, let me guess...this is coming from a chubby middle aged or older dude who still thinks pleated khakis look good and wears his polo sleeves down to his elbows?

And says "not"....

5' 8" 157#

But yup, I like khakis and loose cotton shirts.

Tatoo's.............NOT!

Originally Posted by Harmonious

par·o·dy

1: a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule

2: a feeble or ridiculous imitation

par·i·ty

1: the quality or state of being equal or equivalent

oops...

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

what do yall think of Ryan Moore's outfits?  freaking buttoned long sleeve dress shirt with a vest and skinny tie?  wtf?  then he rolls up the arms on the shirt, LOL

Just saw him at two tournaments here in FLA and he wasn't wearing any of that......

While he is not my least favorite player, Tiger Woods demeanor on the course is, at times, objectionable.

I coached high school golf for a number of years over the last three decades, and current players on the PGA tour have a huge influence on the young golfer. When Tiger lets go an  f-bomb or tosses a club, he is sending a message that it is okay to act like this when you miss hit a shot. My goal, as a coach, is to let these young men know that I will accept nothing less than gentlemanly behavior on the golf course at all times.

So, then my high school golfers will take the mixed messages and ask themselves, "Who is more successful, our high school golf coach, or Tiger Woods?"

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that their conduct will occasionally bring a reprimand from me, but the guys, to their credit, after a heart to heart talk, will understand that their actions, whether it be tossing a club or salty language, has no place on the golf course.

I will say that I do admire the discipline and professionalism that Mr. Woods exhibits, but I have a difficult time rooting for him to win, because of the objectionable traits that he occasionally displays on the course.

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dfreuter415

I coached high school golf for a number of years over the last three decades, and current players on the PGA tour have a huge influence on the young golfer. When Tiger lets go an  f-bomb or tosses a club, he is sending a message that it is okay to act like this when you miss hit a shot. My goal, as a coach, is to let these young men know that I will accept nothing less than gentlemanly behavior on the golf course at all times.

You know, there's one key difference: Tiger Woods isn't playing high school golf. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

While he is not my least favorite player, Tiger Woods demeanor on the course is, at times, objectionable.

So, then my high school golfers will take the mixed messages and ask themselves, "Who is more successful, our high school golf coach, or Tiger Woods?"

It is therefore reasonable to conclude that their conduct will occasionally bring a reprimand from me, but the guys, to their credit, after a heart to heart talk, will understand that their actions, whether it be tossing a club or salty language, has no place on the golf course.

I will say that I do admire the discipline and professionalism that Mr. Woods exhibits, but I have a difficult time rooting for him to win, because of the objectionable traits that he occasionally displays on the course.

So nothing less than perfection will satisfy you?  You set a hard standard to maintain.  Tiger didn't invent those actions which you find so reprehensible, and in fact is not as bad as a few others I've watched.  While I admire your general direction, I don't believe in stifling emotion.  While yelling out f-bombs is unacceptable to me, an occasional muttered epithet is not necessarily unwarranted, and sometimes a celebratory fist pump is appropriate.  Carried to extremes such behavior should be curtailed, but emotion is a part of competition, and some players are better at concealing emotion than others.

Jack was usually able to control his emotions until the end, or near the end, of the round or tournament, while Tiger is more demonstrative at the moment when the incident occurs.  Different people, different personalities, and maybe just as key to the issue, different generations - both unarguably great players.

I'm from Jack's generation and as such I don't care for acting out on the course any more than you do.  But I'm still a fan of Tiger, the player, and understand that the game has evolved a slightly different environment for this generation.  His occasional outbursts don't really bother me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think we need to give the "pga tour players shouldn't cuss because its ungentleman like" case a rest.  My Grandma had a first cousin that used to play on tour in the 70's (almost won the masters a couple times) and my Granddad use to tell me he had one of the worst mouths he ever heard in his life ESPECIALLY on the golf course.  People swear in every sport, hell baseball players even cuss in the homerun derby, and if you ever watch Kevin Garnett closely he say f*** about 20 times a game, and half the time he's talking to his self.  If someone chooses not to cuss on a golf course thats fine, but don't get mad at me because I do.  As the OP said cussing is fun!

What's in my bag?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

They all need to take lessons from Johan Edfors!!

Wow. That guy knows how to snap a club.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

They all need to take lessons from Johan Edfors!!

Thank you.  This proves that Tiger isn't unique and MANY other players show emotion on the golf course.  I love the emotion.  I want to know that the golfers I'm watching on a week by week basis are TRYING to win.  There are a number of golfers out there who go through the motions and play "good enough" to grab paychecks.  Screw that....I want grinders, I want passion, I want effort and usually, these are the guys who we see react in such fashion.

If your "High School" players are acting out, then their parents and YOU aren't doing YOUR jobs.  That has nothing to do with Tiger Woods.  Are you seriously going to tell me that this is the first time in High School history that kids have acted out when they fail? Forget Golf.  What about Basketball, Baseball, Hockey?  Any sport?  Gimme a friggin break.  It's your job and the parents job to teach your kids how to act.  Not professionals who are playing for the highest stakes.  Tiger Woods is trying to be the best who's ever played while everyone is doubting him.  He has something to prove, to accomplish.  His stakes are at extreme high levels...so if he hits a poor shot, he has a right to be pissed off.  He has his legacy on the line...

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!