IGNORED

UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new to The Sand Trap, I live in Florida, and I just ordered a full set of UST Recoil (600 series) shafts, 76 gram, regular flex, for my Ping G25 irons. I'll post my opinions about how they compare to the stock shafts and others I've used as soon as I've had some time to experience them in play. I imagine about two weeks. If anyone else is using these, I'd like to hear your impressions, too.

Welcome to the forum!

What caused you to choose that particular shaft?  Look forward to hearing your comments.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have some 125 gram Recoil Prototypes (there are three series of these shafts -- 600, 800 and Proto) on order to go in my wedges. They were supposed to arrive this Monday but I've heard nothing from my club maker, so probably won't get them until next week.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I chose the Recoil shafts because UST is claiming that they have all the benefits of graphite and steel in one shaft, and what little I've heard about the Recoils from independent 3rd parties has been very positive. Additionally, I've heard Kuchar and Snedeker are using them now on tour. Finally, when I bought my first set of irons, I was fortunate enough to not know that I was supposed to prefer steel shafts "because that's what the pros play", so I bought graphite and never suffered severe vibrations on mis-hits while I was learning. Subsequently, I grew to love graphite shafts and the Recoils appear to be, at this time, the closest to the ultimate evolution of that technology. I am interested in hearing why some people want heavy shafts. I don't see any advantage to heavy shafts, and if it's just because heavy shafts feel like steel, I can do without that.

Kuchar and Sneds are using the AeroTech Steelfibers, which are similar ... but different.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I was looking at these, but somehow I can't find anything special about them compare to other shafts similar in weight. UST uses denser fiber to make Recoil shafts, means heavier shafts feel less boardy, flex better... comparable to steel shafts with advantages of graphite shafts (vibration dampening...)

What are the improvements of the lighter Recoil series? $45 a piece, they better be good.

• 1 month later...

Like the Recoils very much in my wedges. Enough that I'm going to put some slightly lighter ones (110 gram) in my irons. They are smoother (yes, I know it's a weasel word) than the KBS Tour S that were in there before, the flight is similar and vibration damping is much better. They are also sphincter-clenchingly expensive here in South Africa, but damn it I'm worth it.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

Note: This thread is 3998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!