IGNORED

My Swing (dragon7507)

dragon7507
Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have some high quality video shot from my DSLR on a tripod and will be editing it down and wanted to find out what the important parts to submit here would be. I took video from in front of me so straight on and from the right of me at set up. I took around 3-4 swings with multiple clubs, a 60* wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron, 3 wood and a driver. I am trying to find out if I would be better off posting all the swings, one with each club or even just multiple swings with only one of the clubs. I am a new user so I have not had the time to post in the other area's yet but will be planning on.

So please, advise me on what the best suggested video's would be. I am not opposed to putting the whole thing up but want to make it simple instead of posting more than maybe needed.

I've been Playing Golf for: Off and on 3 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 20+

My typical ball flight is: Push Right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push/Slice Right

Videos:

Here you go.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

6 or 7 iron and driver are the clubs most people use.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dragon7507

I've been Playing Golf for:​ Off and on 3 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 20+

My typical ball flight is: Push Right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push/Slice Right

My self I think I was A) Over reaching on my back swing and B) My left elbow was bending in during back swing

Videos:

3 Wood caddie view

3 wood down the line:

7 Iron caddie view:

7 iron down the line

A few things to start on I think would be to make sure you keep your lead arm straight. Helps with consistent contact.

After that, work on keeping your weight towards your heels more... it looks like you fall forward due to having a lot of weight towards your toes.

After that, I would work on making sure you keep your head from turning so much on the backswing.

Don't be discouraged if working on these things causes you to hit bad/off center shots. If you practice a lot, even with major problems in the swing, your mind figures out a way to make contact anyway. So if you start making poor contact, that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't getting better, just need to adjust.

Solid job getting the weight forward into impact!

• Upvote 1

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by onephenom

A few things to start on I think would be to make sure you keep your lead arm straight. Helps with consistent contact.

After that, work on keeping your weight towards your heels more... it looks like you fall forward due to having a lot of weight towards your toes.

After that, I would work on making sure you keep your head from turning so much on the backswing.

Don't be discouraged if working on these things causes you to hit bad/off center shots. If you practice a lot, even with major problems in the swing, your mind figures out a way to make contact anyway. So if you start making poor contact, that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't getting better, just need to adjust.

Solid job getting the weight forward into impact!

Thanks for the input. The one thing that you noted I was doing good has been my "white whale" of a goal. getting that weight forward. I have always kept my weight on the right foot and struggled to get it back to the left so I am happy that I am finally starting to have that happen.

I did go to the range the week before this video and focused on the left arm straight, and after hitting for this and watching the tape I realized I completely forgot to stick to that

That will be  my next "easy focus" because I think that is a simple check that won't throw my brain off too much.

The weight towards the heel's is a very interesting point. I was starting to think about that recently after going back through some instruction and reading Ben Hogan's book where I believe he talks about being able to wiggle your toes, meaning you got the weight on the heels.

Finally, the head. That is one of those things that I had not even noticed before you said something. Definitely will have to try keeping that from moving as much.

Appreciate the input . I am one that can visualize what a perfect swing should look like when seeing others but struggle to see it on my own swing. I am planning on getting a 3 pack of lessons here shortly but wanted to get a few times of going to the range and the course before, that way I can get some of the major kinks worked on before getting the pro's take on it.

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant, which is constructively. The main thing that I see in your swing at the moment is an overarching lack of structure -- everything is just kinda floppy and loose. Some of this probably comes from how naturally flexible you appear to be, and that's a good thing, but to become more consistent you are going to have to learn to constrain yourself appropriately to introduce some rigidity (and strength) where it's needed.

Just to quickly illustrate this, here's a shot from your 7 iron video. The yellow lines mark the position of your head and hips at address, red at the top of the backswing and green at (or at least around) impact. Notice how much you go forward and (particularly) down in the downswing, and how much you need to bend your arms as a result to avoid burying the club a foot deep in the ground.

Legs straight . Arms straight . Stand up . Above all you need more (some!) extension in the downswing. Yes there are backswing pieces feeding into this too, but sorry they're outside the scope of what I have time for right now. You said you were planning to get a few lessons "here"? I hope you mean Evolvr, because they will be able to steer you right.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, don't feel like we're being to critical or that you have to fix everything next time you go to the range. It's not easy to change a lot. I would try practice swing in your house with keeping your arm straight. After a bunch of those, practice keeping your upper body from moving so far firward during the backswing. And don't feel overwhelmed! Work on 1-2 things at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself with swing thoughts.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by Stretch

Please take this in the spirit that it's meant, which is constructively. The main thing that I see in your swing at the moment is an overarching lack of structure -- everything is just kinda floppy and loose. Some of this probably comes from how naturally flexible you appear to be, and that's a good thing, but to become more consistent you are going to have to learn to constrain yourself appropriately to introduce some rigidity (and strength) where it's needed.

Just to quickly illustrate this, here's a shot from your 7 iron video. The yellow lines mark the position of your head and hips at address, red at the top of the backswing and green at (or at least around) impact. Notice how much you go forward and (particularly) down in the downswing, and how much you need to bend your arms as a result to avoid burying the club a foot deep in the ground.

Legs straight. Arms straight. Stand up. Above all you need more (some!) extension in the downswing. Yes there are backswing pieces feeding into this too, but sorry they're outside the scope of what I have time for right now. You said you were planning to get a few lessons "here"? I hope you mean Evolvr, because they will be able to steer you right.

Thanks for the input, and I do take this all in the constructive way. I know that I am not a great golfer and I have flaws so it is becoming my goal to minimize them. If someone said my swing sucked and offered no input then it might be a little less of a happy response but what you did, taking a look and noting the things that are incorrect is exactly what I am looking for.

I will get to working the things that you posted at home since they are things that I can just practice without hitting a ball or being out at a range which is nice. And lessons, I am going to be picking up a set of 3 from my local pro at golf galaxy. This will be happening starting in May so I wanted to figure out some of the more obvious issues to work on correcting before that to hopefully make the most impact with my lessons :)

Also, don't feel like we're being to critical or that you have to fix everything next time you go to the range. It's not easy to change a lot. I would try practice swing in your house with keeping your arm straight. After a bunch of those, practice keeping your upper body from moving so far firward during the backswing. And don't feel overwhelmed! Work on 1-2 things at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself with swing thoughts.

No worries about being critical, I know my swing isn't perfect, thats why I am seeking some input :) I know the golf swing is one of those finicky things that there are a million ways to complete it but I would like to get mine to a half way decent one. My ultimate goal is to get into the mid to low 90's this year after averaging around 103-106 the last few. So the only way that I figure I can do that is get some advice and figure out what I need to work on.

Your last statement is going to be my big issue, not overwhelming myself with swing thoughts. I went out and played a 9 hole yesterday- shot 10 over par, but my biggest thing was trying to clear my head before swinging instead of thinking about all the things that people have mentioned I need to fix. That is one of the great things about this game though, there is always room for improvement and its a lifelong journey.

Legs straight. Arms straight. Stand up. Above all you need more (some!) extension in the downswing. Yes there are backswing pieces feeding into this too, but sorry they're outside the scope of what I have time for right now. You said you were planning to get a few lessons "here"? I hope you mean Evolvr, because they will be able to steer you right.

Sorry to double post but wanted to throw a great big thank you to you guys. I went to the driving range and focused on a few key things. They were

1. Keep the arm triangle during my back swing. This is from the point that onephenom made about keeping my lead arm straight. If you keep that triangle it keeps everything at just the right distance.

2. Keeping my weight back. Again, per onephenom, this kept me grounded

3. Standing up straight then sticking my butt out and bending my knee's to get into address position. This is per Stretch, this keeps me having structure, keeps the legs and arms straight and gets the extension through the swing.

I had been practicing these things for a few days in my living room and took them out to the range. I was hitting pretty good, solid contact each time and was happy. When I got to the three wood I figured I would try an experiment. I made a 1/2 to 3/4 swing, just enough that my arm triangle would be solid through the entire back swing, forcing the proper extension and the results were AMAZING!!! I hit around 30 balls after this making between 3/4 and full swings using my 3 wood and driver, too clubs that I normally just hit ok with. They all, without fail went with a draw shot shape. Toward the end I actually had to switch from an incredibly strong grip to a normal/weak grip to hit it closer to straight. This is the first time that I have ever been able to hit a draw on purpose.

Thanks again for the advice :D

Note: This thread is 4032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!