IGNORED

Question about Easy to hit lower irons.

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all golf season is coming up right around the corner (time to end my 8 month long posting drought).  Lately I have been looking at updating my woods, and for the amount I use my 5 wood I was thinking about just replacing it with a 3 or 2 iron.  My current set is the Adams CB1 4-PW i have no problem hitting the lower irons but I really want to have a lower club then 4 to replace my 5 wood.

The only place that it looks like I can by individual irons is Callaway preowned.  And seeing how I won't be able to hit them before I buy them I am kind of looking for advice.

The reason I dislike hitting 5 wood from the deck is because of head size.  I am just not confident enough to get under the ball while still sweeping it off the fairway.  Anyways just looking for any suggestions you guys might have on clubs or reviews on 2 or 3 irons of older Callaways.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Umm, they've made these things this past decade called hybrids... Might want to look into them.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know but even hybrids I'm not a huge fan of but I am open to suggestions.

Well I suppose I shouldn't knock them I have tried them a few times wasn't a huge fan. My shots I found went too high.

Agree with the previous posts, I'd definitely recommend a hybrid. I've got an Adams Idea Tech V3 3 hybrid and I absolutely love it. Not too big of a head if that's what you're worried about and it hits great off the deck. You can also buy individual irons at Global Golf I believe if you'd rather go that route. I've bought clubs there before, very reputable.

In the Bag 2013:

Driver:  FT-9 Draw i-Mix 10.5*

3 Wood:  R11s 15.5*

3 Hybrid:  Idea Tech V3 19*

Irons (4-PW):  ZB Forged

Wedges:  Tom Watson PVD; 52.07*, 56.13*, 60.07*

Putter:  White Ice #1 33"

I suggest you try a used or close out  hybrid. I like my Callaway Diablo Edge tour 18. I picked it up for 65 bucks new from Hurricane Golf.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

See if you can find a Mizuno FLI-HI hybrid iron from circa 2010. Most common variety was 3FH with 21* loft.

Also, consider a player's cavity 3i with a flighted shaft. Flighted shafts give a little extra lift to long irons. Callaway Preowned offers a Razr X Forged 3i - with a PX 6.0 flighted shaft - for about $70.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Ya I was wondering what the x forged series were like for forgivability as I have never really hit one before.

Are all hybrids made with the same weight in the head? I have tried out a 909 hybrid and the head seemed really heavy.

Originally Posted by mosnas

Ya I was wondering what the x forged series were like for forgivability as I have never really hit one before. ...

Forgiveness would be better with a flighted shaft, because flighted gives more lift to longer irons.

As for hybrids, there's a lot of variety out there, just as much as in fairway woods. You just have to test them out. Hybrids with smaller heads will tend to get the ball up better than ones with deep faces.Smaller heads cut through the rough better, less resistance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so via an online ad I have an oppertunity to buy a Titleist AP2 712 3 iron.  Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or how easy/hard it is to hit.

Note: This thread is 3997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!