• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spentmiles

Swing the 'L' / Maintaining Wrist Cock

14 posts in this topic

I've been working on maintaining my wrist angle on the downswing.  I want the grip past the ball with the shaft parallel to the ground as I swing through.  As I work on this, I realize that I've wasted a decade of golf trying to make a cast/over the top swing work.  I'm so amazed with a lag swing that I can't stop thinking about getting it.

Two questions:

1.  How rigid do you keep your left arm on the downswing?

When I'm working something like the 9-to-3 drill, I really emphasize swinging with a rigid left arm lever.  I haven't experimented too much, but in my on course swing, I notice my left arm gets rather loose and supple.  I think this is causing inconsistency.  Should I be working toward a rigid, lever-like left arm?  I'd imagine you don't want tension, but I feel like you could maintain a firm left arm with a full wrist cock without tensing your arm into concrete.

2. Is there a fundamental difference between swinging the driver with a lag swing versus the other clubs?

I'm making great progress with everything from the PW to the 3W.  I can feel the handle getting past the ball and all the unhinging happening naturally after that.  The driver, though, is giving me fits.  It seems really difficult to get the handle passed the ball and the shaft parallel to the ground because of its length.  At the moment, there's no rhyme or reason to the misses.  So, is there anything fundamentally different in swinging the driver with a lag swing than the other clubs?

Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Me and you seem to be at the exact same point in our golf swing right now. And I have the same questions you do! This doesn't help but it is nice to see someone else going thru the same experience.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by spentmiles

I've been working on maintaining my wrist angle on the downswing.  I want the grip past the ball with the shaft parallel to the ground as I swing through.  As I work on this, I realize that I've wasted a decade of golf trying to make a cast/over the top swing work.  I'm so amazed with a lag swing that I can't stop thinking about getting it.

Two questions:

1.  How rigid do you keep your left arm on the downswing?

When I'm working something like the 9-to-3 drill, I really emphasize swinging with a rigid left arm lever.  I haven't experimented too much, but in my on course swing, I notice my left arm gets rather loose and supple.  I think this is causing inconsistency.  Should I be working toward a rigid, lever-like left arm?  I'd imagine you don't want tension, but I feel like you could maintain a firm left arm with a full wrist cock without tensing your arm into concrete.

2. Is there a fundamental difference between swinging the driver with a lag swing versus the other clubs?

I'm making great progress with everything from the PW to the 3W.  I can feel the handle getting past the ball and all the unhinging happening naturally after that.  The driver, though, is giving me fits.  It seems really difficult to get the handle passed the ball and the shaft parallel to the ground because of its length.  At the moment, there's no rhyme or reason to the misses.  So, is there anything fundamentally different in swinging the driver with a lag swing than the other clubs?

Thanks.

1. Lead arm should be firm but not rigid/tense. Shouldn't have to lock your elbow, so you're right about maintain a firm right arm. The key to lagging the club is making sure you keep that arm firm, grip firm, but don't keep your wrists tense so that you don't hit at the ball with a cast.

If you start the downswing with your body, just before the arms/hands finish the backswing, you'll have a much easier time holding the lag into impact.

2. No.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So should I concentrate on moving my left knee toward the target to start my downswing & maintain lag?  This feels so weird.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Talldude

So should I concentrate on moving my left knee toward the target to start my downswing & maintain lag?  This feels so weird.

I don't feel it in the knees as much as in the hip slide. Feel like someone if pulling your left pocket out to the target. Again, that's just a feel that I have, it's just all about getting your weight forward at impact while keeping your head steady. Whatever feel works.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn I feel like I just used the word feel a few too many times..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MambaGolfer

Damn I feel like I just used the word feel a few too many times..

All the best things in life involve feel! :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

All the best things in life involve feel! :)

And cock.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

And cock.

:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I focus on shorter and slower swings when working on this. Getting tension out of the hands. The club will catch up with the hands if you flip, which is an action by the hands. By keeping them more passive, it's easier to achieve. I also work on a slower take-away and try not to be too fast in the transition, as it's easy to throw everything away right there. I don't really focus on keeping wrists bent or anything like that, I focus more on keeping things simple and easy. I can achieve a good impact position on any practice swing without holding anything, so I believe the same can be done with a ball, but it takes practice. Sometimes I've also thought about the time of impact coming later than it usually does.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm definitely too tight in my wrists. if I keep my wrists loose & relaxed, should I focus on trying to maintain the lag with my arms & wrists or forget about them & simply shift my left hip to the target, keeping the arms & hands passive?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm definitely too tight in my wrists. if I keep my wrists loose & relaxed, should I focus on trying to maintain the lag with my arms & wrists or forget about them & simply shift my left hip to the target, keeping the arms & hands passive?

I can't tell how it would feel for you, but the arms can't be passive. Focus on getting the weight forward and at the same time throw the arms down. The trick is to do this without flipping. For me, it feels like I'm not as tight in the hands. The arms have to swing to get down fast enough. Again, start with smaller swings. Just a quarter of a swing with wrist cock, then focus on getting the arms down faster, without throwing the club out. When you feel confident on a small swing, make it a bit longer. If you start flipping again, slow down and shorten the swing again. There can of course be other parts of the swing or sequencing causing the problem.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

And cock.

Holy crap that busted me up! Spit coffee everywhere!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0