IGNORED

Tipping

Note: This thread is 4562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's true for some golf courses, but I guess I was expanding my point out to hotels, air travel and other aspects of 'luxury' service. I'll try and keep on topic

Hmm you are aware that most people that "work for tips" make $2.15 a hour right?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like the little services that make life more pleasant. I tip the bag boys and club cleaners and use the Skycaps and tip them as well. My wife is disabled and when we travel, we use the wheelchair services and I tip them too. I work hard to be able to enjoy the pleasantries of life. If a couple of bucks was gonna break me, then I shouldn't be playing at one of those courses.

Hmm you are aware that most people that "work for tips" make $2.15 a hour right?

Note I did say 'I loathe the way the tip has

become a substitute to the wage'.
If a couple of bucks was gonna break me, then I shouldn't be playing at one of those courses.

As I, and several others, noted it isn't the fact a couple of bucks is going to break us, it is the fact it is a service we don't want.

A Skycap is a service you volunteer for and a justifiable tip IMO...if you don't want it, then walk yourself to the check-in desk.

As I, and several others, noted it isn't the fact a couple of bucks is going to break us, it is the fact it is a service we don't want.

I dont particularly like to pay taxes, but it helps keep the country running. You might not particularly like parting with a few bucks for a service not completely necessary for your survival, but it helps those guys pay bills.

I tip like a maniac. I mean if I self park I still go tip the valets. No, I dont expect everybody to be like me, but it drives me crazy that people get so uptight about shelling out a little bit of cash to help some other dudes out. Especially when they are providing a service! I guess people who have never worked in the service industry at a minimum let alone work a job that primarily subsides on gratuity dont understand.

I dont particularly like to pay taxes, but it helps keep the country running. You might not particularly like parting with a few bucks for a service not completely necessary for your survival, but it helps those guys pay bills.

That's a pretty weak comparison!

If I don't pay my taxes the country falls apart...
I tip like a maniac. I mean if I self park I still go tip the valets. No, I dont expect everybody to be like me, but it drives me crazy that people get so uptight about shelling out a little bit of cash to help some other dudes out. Especially when they are providing a service! I guess people who have never worked in the service industry at a minimum let alone work a job that primarily subsides on gratuity dont understand.

Why don't you walk down the street handing out $100 bills to homeless people too?

I've worked in the service industry too, I worked as a bar manager and waitor at an upmarket restaurant when I was growing up in England. Then when I went into banking and eventually investment planning I was miffed I wasn't getting 10% of all the money that went through my hands. I could have probably retired a month into the job...at age 22 My work in investment planning helped people retire 5yrs earlier than planned, or achieve some dream of theirs they didn't think possible, maybe they should've chucked a couple of hundred thousand dollars my way and 'help this dude out'

I've worked in the service industry too, I worked as a bar manager and waitor at an upmarket restaurant when I was growing up in England.

In this situation comparing the US and England isn't really a fair comparison.

The tipping culture in both countries is very different, plus in the US waiters and waitresses can be paid below minimum wage if they receive tips whereas in England they can't.

• 1 month later...
If you want to try to explain it away, go right ahead... I guess it helps you feel better about it?

Couldnt have said it better!! At my course when the "kids" in highschool are lugging clubs out of cars, does it kill you to give them a couple of bucks? Also, the "I dont want anyone touching my clubs" is such a ignorant comment..

My home course that I play on is a resort course that does all the fancy stuff like this but I only tip on certain occasions, but for 99% of the time I don't put my bag down where they can get them to wipe down and stuff. I let the tourists that play tip them.

I played a course where after the round the teenager would wipe clean all your club in the bag before you left the green on the 18th and I felt obligated to tip him a dollar for his efforts. It interesting that his timming was perfect as you finished and walking toward your bag he is almost finished but makes you waiting about 30 seconds to let you be aware what a good job is did on you clubs to warrant a possible tip.

When spending a tip, I look at it as an investment. If I know that I will be dealing with this individual in the future, I will tip well, if the service is good. If the service is poor, I will tip 10%, or nothing at all, if it's exceptionally poor. I will also speak with a manager at that point. Average service gets 20% from me-at least they did...having to conserrve resources these days. I am new to the game, and glad to see this thread. One guy brought the cart to our truck, loaded the bags, wiped the clubs down. He got 5.00 bucks. At the end of the day, the guy wiping off my clubs at the cart house didn't seem happy to be there, didn't really offer any value, but I gave him 5.00 because I didn't know what was customary, and had a GREAT time that day! After reading this post, I wil lonly tip if the service adds value for me. Thank you!

Here's my two cents:

I neither play at resort courses, nor do any of the courses I play at have these types of services; but, they all have bar tenders and beer cart girls. I like to tip them especially well and make myself known to them. On those hot, busy days in July and August guess who waits a shorter amount of time for cold beverages ... just remember, one hand washes the other!

Note: This thread is 4562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!