IGNORED

Tipping

iacas
Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's true for some golf courses, but I guess I was expanding my point out to hotels, air travel and other aspects of 'luxury' service. I'll try and keep on topic

Hmm you are aware that most people that "work for tips" make $2.15 a hour right?

In the Bag
Driver:Burner07 9.5 NV 75 S
3-woodBurner07 15 degree NV 65 S
HybridRescue Mid 19 degree NVS 85 S
IronsRAC LT 4-PW Project X 5.5 shaftsWedgesCG 12 52,56,60PutterNewport 2 Custom Shop 35inBallProV1 or TaylorMade TP redShoes: All kinds. I have a bit of a shoe problem. As in I like...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like the little services that make life more pleasant. I tip the bag boys and club cleaners and use the Skycaps and tip them as well. My wife is disabled and when we travel, we use the wheelchair services and I tip them too. I work hard to be able to enjoy the pleasantries of life. If a couple of bucks was gonna break me, then I shouldn't be playing at one of those courses.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

Hmm you are aware that most people that "work for tips" make $2.15 a hour right?

Note I did say 'I loathe the way the tip has

become a substitute to the wage'.
If a couple of bucks was gonna break me, then I shouldn't be playing at one of those courses.

As I, and several others, noted it isn't the fact a couple of bucks is going to break us, it is the fact it is a service we don't want.

A Skycap is a service you volunteer for and a justifiable tip IMO...if you don't want it, then walk yourself to the check-in desk.

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

As I, and several others, noted it isn't the fact a couple of bucks is going to break us, it is the fact it is a service we don't want.

I dont particularly like to pay taxes, but it helps keep the country running. You might not particularly like parting with a few bucks for a service not completely necessary for your survival, but it helps those guys pay bills.

I tip like a maniac. I mean if I self park I still go tip the valets. No, I dont expect everybody to be like me, but it drives me crazy that people get so uptight about shelling out a little bit of cash to help some other dudes out. Especially when they are providing a service! I guess people who have never worked in the service industry at a minimum let alone work a job that primarily subsides on gratuity dont understand.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

I dont particularly like to pay taxes, but it helps keep the country running. You might not particularly like parting with a few bucks for a service not completely necessary for your survival, but it helps those guys pay bills.

That's a pretty weak comparison!

If I don't pay my taxes the country falls apart...
I tip like a maniac. I mean if I self park I still go tip the valets. No, I dont expect everybody to be like me, but it drives me crazy that people get so uptight about shelling out a little bit of cash to help some other dudes out. Especially when they are providing a service! I guess people who have never worked in the service industry at a minimum let alone work a job that primarily subsides on gratuity dont understand.

Why don't you walk down the street handing out $100 bills to homeless people too?

I've worked in the service industry too, I worked as a bar manager and waitor at an upmarket restaurant when I was growing up in England. Then when I went into banking and eventually investment planning I was miffed I wasn't getting 10% of all the money that went through my hands. I could have probably retired a month into the job...at age 22 My work in investment planning helped people retire 5yrs earlier than planned, or achieve some dream of theirs they didn't think possible, maybe they should've chucked a couple of hundred thousand dollars my way and 'help this dude out'

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

That's a pretty weak comparison!

Comparing a person with a job trying to make a respectable living with a hobo leeching off pity isnt any stronger of a comparison.

Clubs I havent thrown in a lake yet

Driver: R7 CGB max 9.5*
Woods: R5 3, and 5 woods
Hybrids: Rescue Burner 22*, 25*Irons: CG Red 6 - PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: 1 of 100 handmade pebble beach http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/09...pebble-beach/#Vegas golf sucks!!

I've worked in the service industry too, I worked as a bar manager and waitor at an upmarket restaurant when I was growing up in England.

In this situation comparing the US and England isn't really a fair comparison.

The tipping culture in both countries is very different, plus in the US waiters and waitresses can be paid below minimum wage if they receive tips whereas in England they can't.

Golf club cleaner guys and bag boys are a joke. Bring back the caddy. No more cart only courses. Golf is a game to be walked, unless health prohibiting.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 1 month later...
If you want to try to explain it away, go right ahead... I guess it helps you feel better about it?

Couldnt have said it better!! At my course when the "kids" in highschool are lugging clubs out of cars, does it kill you to give them a couple of bucks? Also, the "I dont want anyone touching my clubs" is such a ignorant comment..

... Bring back the caddy. No more cart only courses. Golf is a game to be walked, unless health prohibiting.

Can I get an AMEN!?!

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

AMEN! (now I have 9 characters)

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

My home course that I play on is a resort course that does all the fancy stuff like this but I only tip on certain occasions, but for 99% of the time I don't put my bag down where they can get them to wipe down and stuff. I let the tourists that play tip them.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

I played a course where after the round the teenager would wipe clean all your club in the bag before you left the green on the 18th and I felt obligated to tip him a dollar for his efforts. It interesting that his timming was perfect as you finished and walking toward your bag he is almost finished but makes you waiting about 30 seconds to let you be aware what a good job is did on you clubs to warrant a possible tip.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

When spending a tip, I look at it as an investment. If I know that I will be dealing with this individual in the future, I will tip well, if the service is good. If the service is poor, I will tip 10%, or nothing at all, if it's exceptionally poor. I will also speak with a manager at that point. Average service gets 20% from me-at least they did...having to conserrve resources these days. I am new to the game, and glad to see this thread. One guy brought the cart to our truck, loaded the bags, wiped the clubs down. He got 5.00 bucks. At the end of the day, the guy wiping off my clubs at the cart house didn't seem happy to be there, didn't really offer any value, but I gave him 5.00 because I didn't know what was customary, and had a GREAT time that day! After reading this post, I wil lonly tip if the service adds value for me. Thank you!

In the bag:
Driver: Rapture V2, 9 degree, stiff shaft
Fairway Woods: X-Hot 3 wood
Hybrid: 3H
Irons: J36 PC 4-PW Project X 6.0 Shafts, FlightedWedges: CG14, 50 54 and 58 degree Putter: Guerin Rife 2 Bar with Winn grip B330S Pro V1x

Here's my two cents:

I neither play at resort courses, nor do any of the courses I play at have these types of services; but, they all have bar tenders and beer cart girls. I like to tip them especially well and make myself known to them. On those hot, busy days in July and August guess who waits a shorter amount of time for cold beverages ... just remember, one hand washes the other!

In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

Note: This thread is 5577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!