IGNORED

Tipping

iacas
Note: This thread is 5560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I posted a comment on an article here about tipping. I'm curious what some of your thoughts are.

To elaborate on my comment there, I actively avoid letting anyone do anything that makes them feel entitled to a tip. I carry my own bag (I don't like people touching my clubs anyway), etc. Golf is expensive enough and, as you may have guessed, I don't tip at McDonald's either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I tip is if she's hot, and delivering a cocktail.........
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I have never been to a course where an employee has handled my bag or performed a service that would warrant a tip. I know that there are courses that come grab your bag when you arrive and perform other services, but to me this is part of the courses amenities and should not warrant a tip.

If they give you a choice for these certain services, and you choose for them to perform the service, I would then tip.

X460 Tour Driver
S2H2 4 wood
mp32 irons
MP T Black Nickel 51&56 Wedges
Answer Putter

I typically fork over $1 per drink to the cart girl and between $2 and $5 to the guys who cleans the clubs and puts my bag in the car.

I'm not sure they deserve it based on effort, but I've resigned myself that it's the right thing to do.

no stuff like that in ireland, no cart girls, you go shop at the ninth and no porters to carry you club to the car!

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Locally no one touches my clubs but me.When the Mrs.and I travel and we have to rid I allways bring my staff bag and then I will tip $5.00 for handling and mounting both bags then $5.00 for cleaning and putting them back in car.The cart girl gets a buck and the silver each time we order.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

No tipping!
I don't tip for the guys to load my bag onto a cart in the morning since I'd do it myself if they let me. And I hate when they want to take my bag off to wipe down my irons for a tip since I keep my clubs clean as I play and wash them after almost every round.

They only exception is the beverage cart girl

Chris

What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

No tipping!

Yeah. They come up to a set of perfectly clean set clubs and wipe a couple with a dirty cloth and expect a tip. Fortunately, this only happens to me at "resort" courses and not all of them. I don't tip them for a contrived service that is neither asked for nor wanted.

Being in the PGA, if I don't play for free I'm paying a tiny little fee. That being the case, it's part of the "code" to tip the outside service people.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Being in the PGA, if I don't play for free I'm paying a tiny little fee. That being the case, it's part of the "code" to tip the outside service people.

out west at the private clubs, when you are being comped, as a courtesy, 5 bucks to the outside guys is the least you can do. you take care of your own. here on east coast, the places i play aren't high end at all. they don't provide anywhere near the same level of service. the only person who gets a tip here is the girl/woman who drives the beverage cart.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

If you are too cheap to tip at a resort course that cost circa $100, then you shouldnt be playing the course...

anywhere else (ie home course) should be based on how much you use what they offer and if you get along with the guys and they are willing to help you when you need it.

Well who exactly are we tipping/not tipping?

I'll tip the beverage cart girl a buck here and there. I'll tip the bartender if I go in the bar afterwards. But as far as cart/bag boys carrying my clubs, etc... nah, I carry my own clubs and if they go to grab them I'll just tell them I'm all set. I hardly ever ride a cart either so there's no worry about tipping someone getting/loading my cart for me.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
If you are too cheap to tip at a resort course that cost circa $100, then you shouldnt be playing the course...

That's just garbage. I'm sure many people might draw the line between $100 and $130 or whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree that there is no threshold or fine line for when you do and do not tip. Also, for tips I don't setup rules and regulations for when I give them. If the service, regardless of the scale, makes me feel catered to and that the providee is deserving, there will definitely be a tip coming their way.

That's just garbage. I'm sure many people might draw the line between $100 and $130 or whatever.

I tip the beer cart girl the 50 cents in change, or sometimes a buck or two if she's hot (I know which ones to look out for by now... ). Occasionally I'll slip the starter a few bucks to squeeze me in on a crowded day. But that's about it for me.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I was lucky enough to play at East Lake in Atlanta last year before the Tour Championship. Their website repeatedly said there was a no tipping policy for our caddies. So we didn't tip them, but I felt kinda guilty about it. I mean, the guy carried two bags for 18 holes and read every put. Do you think we should have done so? He didn't hang around like he was waiting on a tip.

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

I was lucky enough to play at East Lake in Atlanta last year before the Tour Championship. Their website repeatedly said there was a no tipping policy for our caddies. So we didn't tip them, but I felt kinda guilty about it. I mean, the guy carried two bags for 18 holes and read every put. Do you think we should have done so? He didn't hang around like he was waiting on a tip.

See, to me this is a case where you should tip. Unfortunately I have never played that course, so I don't know the policies but it seems like you should tip your caddy something.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

we usually give the caddies a pretty nice tip...$100 at a top 100 course is pretty standard.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Note: This thread is 5560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!