Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sacman

over the top swing vs the release

6 posts in this topic

I went out today and hit about 300 balls. I hit some really good wedges but went on to my 7 iron and blocked everything. I couldn't figure it out. The swings felt the same. After I left the course I went out and made some swings in my back yard and realized that I wasn't releasing my hands. To me it feels like I am coming over the top. Does anyone else have a problem releasing and what do you think of to get yourself to do it.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I don't think of anything. I read a book by jack nicklaus... he said that the clubhead releases automatically due to a good body turn into impact (which happens as a reflex to a good backswing position)

Lateral movement in the downswing can get you blocking everything. Stay behind the ball and you WILL release it. No thought required. Good Luck!

thats interesting. I took a video of my swing and it did look like my knees were getting a little to active. I also saw on the down the line view that my back swing crossed the line alot. I feel like I need a shorter swing to make it more consistent and make better strikes on the ball.

There should be lateral movement (toward the target) with the lower body. The head stays centered.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Sacman

I went out today and hit about 300 balls. I hit some really good wedges but went on to my 7 iron and blocked everything. I couldn't figure it out. The swings felt the same. After I left the course I went out and made some swings in my back yard and realized that I wasn't releasing my hands. To me it feels like I am coming over the top. Does anyone else have a problem releasing and what do you think of to get yourself to do it.

Actually an over the top swing, a lot of times people are releasing the club (casting) way early. It is common to chunk and thin shots with an over the top swing.

With out a video its hard to say what your doing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades