IGNORED

Beginner-Putter

Iacethemall
Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope this is in the right section.  I am as the title says a beginner, I was wondering if the best club to start out with is a putter.  I keep reading all about the short game, always work on the short game.  Plus this way I can practice and buy my clubs when my budget allows.

This is the section you were looking for...

http://thesandtrap.com/f/6/instruction-and-playing-tips

Only a putter is not enough. Cause the putter is only usefull on the green. Shortplay also means chipping and pitching. So you will need at least one extra club to start with. Take a pitchingwedge if the budget is really low. But on ebay you will find sets for 100 dollar.....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slazenger wedges, there 50 bucks a piece, so you can 3 off them for the cost of 1 premium wedge

Putting, go to your local golf store and look at used putters. You can get them at huge discouts.

the sad thing about starting off golfing is your swing and style will change over time, so will your equipment.

Global golf is an online store that has a great selection of used clubs.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If you have time, you might try a golf clinic. Golf courses and practice ranges often hold low-cost golf lessons for beginners. You would have one or two evening sessions a week to learn the basics of the game. It's all beginners, so nobody has to worry about making mistakes.

Sometimes the clinics will lend beginners clubs to get started. A basic learning set might be a putter, a 6 or 7 iron (most companies produce extras of these as demonstrator irons), and a wedge.

Or, you could ask friends for the name of a teaching pro who works well with beginners . You could set up a block of maybe three lessons to get started.

Putting : I have seen two such pros at different courses use this approach for putting: They will tell the beginner the basics of putting, and then let them hit a dozen putts with two or three putters with different designs. Most beginners decide the kind of putter they like in about 10 minutes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Been playing 6 months and shot a 90 last time out. Still  using mix and match goodwill clubs. Great for experimenting.

3-8 irons are double diamonds. Dont know much about them other than a few rumors of them being cobra clones. I really like those.

Picked up an older snake eyes 10.5* from salvation army for 7 bucks. Really nice. My 9 and pw have been floaters since  I havent found anything I like yet. Offsets and lengths just dont feel right. Last big find was a Tommy Armor 60* for $2.15 . Irons usually go from 2 to 4 bucks, drivers start at 4 for the most part. If you are just starting, go to your local goodwill and for 10- 20 bucks, you can get a nice start.

Am now experimenting with a driving iron. Mainly to cut through the wind. N Texas is ALWAYS windy. Good results so far and once again, 2 bucks !

I think putting is a great start, but what will really lower your scores is being able to hit greens, so it is not necessarily good to only practice putting for awhile.

there is a great thread on here about practice times, but it basically recommends

65% of time long game

25% short game

10% putting

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Yea I agree. I've been really trying to stick to that formula and it seems to help me. I don't lit myself get the mondo bucket of ball so ill spread it out a little

Originally Posted by onephenom

I think putting is a great start, but what will really lower your scores is being able to hit greens, so it is not necessarily good to only practice putting for awhile.

there is a great thread on here about practice times, but it basically recommends

65% of time long game

25% short game

10% putting

I'll try this, thanks.

Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!