IGNORED

Why am I pulling my Irons?

Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fairly new to the site and have browsed around looked at several threads and didnt really see much specific to this topic. If I missed on please do provide the link.

A little about me - Playing golf since I was in highschool but once I graduated military, work etc came in the way a bit. The past few years I have played more but not as much as I wanted. This year I plan on getting back into golf on a regular basis ie every weekend and most nights during the week. Currently I am a 18hcp, I hit the ball very long for the average golfer. I know I have some work to do on my swing and recently bought the SkyPro that should land today and I am looking at using Evolvr as well for some lessons.

While I think over all the biggest problem with my game is 100yds in I have noticed lately that I tend to pull my Iron shots. I am not sure if its because the ball is to forward in my stance or my aim. I do try and double check my aim and I dont think it is that.

My 2 thoughts are the ball is to far forward in my stance or I am letting the club head get ahead and swinging too fast.

My question is what is the ideal location for the ball when working with irons long and short, I read somewhere recently that it should be a little more forward in the stance and not to move it back as the club gets shorter. Is this correct? should I be ligning the ball up a little more forward like in line with my nipple?

Thanks in advance for the tips and suggestions.

So this is just kind of guessing without seeing your swing. However I would say that if you are pulling your irons you are coming inside out, or it could be a weight transfer issue. This may be linked to several problems is my point. The most common of what I have seen is involving your hands being to quick. Your hands want to square the face and you want to try and even out the swing. This may cause you to come off plane and eventually pull it in when on your downswing. Like I said this is something that is hard to identify without a swing video but my guess is it has something to do with your downswing and swing plane in general. I am no Pro so don't quote me on that.

How I have found is the best to fix this is to try and stand on your left leg and take a few swings holding the club in your left hand (if you are right handed) and take a few swings. This may help you come away in a straight like and not pull it on the inside. Sounds kind of funny but when I have been getting into a rut of pulling the ball this helps me a lot.

In regards to your ball position it could very well be that you have the ball to far forward. I would suggest having your middle irons around the belt buckle line. Your longer irons typically are just forward of the belt buckle. Driver and woods are typically on the back side of the heel of your left foot. (in the event you are right handed again.)

I hope this helps, Like I said I am no pro but this should help. I know it has helped me.

TGB

Is the shot a straight pull, pull slice or pull hook?

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So after playing around with the SkyPro I bought on sunday I think the major cause in this "pull" is my outside-Inside swing.

No the tricky part is to fix it.  Any tips?

Improper sequence causes outside-in swing. Gotta start the swing from the ground up

- Jered

Originally Posted by jclark

Improper sequence causes outside-in swing. Gotta start the swing from the ground up

Can you explain a little further, not sure I understand what you mean.

Can you explain a little further, not sure I understand what you mean.

Well it's really hard to tell without seeing your swing. With me, I sometimes come over the top because I start The downswing with my arms instead from the ground up. What I mean by from the ground up is that at the top of my swing I shift my way laterally towards the target by pressing my foot into the ground and shifting my hips left and then rotating them. At this point my hips are leading and my upper body is being pulled by the motion. Then my arms fire last. The sequence should be legs, hips, torso, arms. There are tons of YouTube videos that can explain it way better than I can.

- Jered

Originally Posted by jrasch

So after playing around with the SkyPro I bought on sunday I think the major cause in this "pull" is my outside-Inside swing.

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

http://thesandtrap.com/t/66413/evolvr-online-instruction-before-and-after-pics/18#post_839954

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Originally Posted by jrasch

Also club face aiming left of the target.  Could be a few things.  This would be a good thread to check out and consider what SK golf posted

Look for Key #2 Drills

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

Also check here: http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by sk golf

http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/

http://thesandtrap.com/t/66413/evolvr-online-instruction-before-and-after-pics/18#post_839954

Ya I have been looking at using evolvr. Plan on submitting a video tonight once I get home. Took several over the weekend on sunday when working with the skypro

Well just uploaded my first video's to evolvr I look forward to the feedback and thanks for the suggestions so far.

Note: This thread is 4005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!