• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sportsnut

Cleveland CG16 tour irons, what do you think and do you like them?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I am considering these irons and was curious if anyone has them and what do you think of them? I am a good ball striker that tends to do well with smaller heads, kinda narrows my focus, playing with a 16ist handicap mostly due the the occassional errant shot and sometimes Mickellsonist approach where the greens are calling my name from too far (something I am devoting my time to this year) and my short game (also something i am devoting more time to), anyway there is not much out there for these irons especially lefthanded so kinda hard to try out and so I figured I would reach out and see what if any info was out there among the rest of you. TIA, Frank

I absolutely love them. I picked them up about a month ago and have been very happy. I'm typically right around a 16 and trying to get lower and these hit so much better than my old hand me downs. My old clubs were forged tour Irons so I knew I wanted to get something that wasn't too clunky like the some of the improvement sets but also had some forgiveness. I have the black pearls and not only do they look slick but I like them at address. The tours also come with a stiff shaft which I needed. I know Cleveland doesn't get a lot of love especially when it come to irons but I have been very satisfied so far. I would certainly consider them.

Thanks for the reply Green B. I decided to give them a try, surprised there is not more info out there on them as they are a good looking iron that seem to have what it takes, hope to have half the success that you have had and I'll be happy.

One of the more user-friendly Tour irons around. Just make sure you get a shaft that matches your swing.

A Cleveland rep I've know for awhile recommended them for seniors with good swingspeed. He said people who started playing blades back in the 1970s have good hand action, and could square up the low-offset clubfaces easy - as long as they use lightweight shafts.

The CG16 Tours I tried have the same solid feel of my Callaway X20 Tours, which I play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Popular Now

• Exactly. Unfortunately, we had a ringside seat to just such a thing yesterday.  The group ahead of us had finally made it to the green on 3.  One was in a green side bunker, while the others were on the green itself.  I asked my buddy, blade or chunk, as we watched from 60 yards out.  He said he'd leave it in the bunker.  I won.  Hard blade 30 yards over the green.  The remainder of the group WAITED while he raked the bunker and then walked completely across the green and proceeded to chip all the way back, almost dumping it in the same bunker again.  Again, Larry, Moe, and Curly wait for Bunker Boy to meander back and play his shot before playing theirs.  After all, he was away...   3 more swings and he was finally in the hole.  Total elapsed time that group took from when they reached the green, nearly 15 minutes!   We caught them on the next tee box in time to watch two of them knock it into the junk short of the fairway.  When it became obvious that they had no intention of acknowledging us, we politely asked if we could play through while they searched for their balls, and thankfully they agreed.   3 hours later, as we were teeing off on 18, we saw them driving up to the tee box on 12.  Not good golfers, true, but more than anything, they simply didn't move with any sense of purpose, or efficiency.  If we'd have had to play behind them much longer, I would have cut my own throat with my wedge!  
    • I love watching those shows on the golf channel.  Especially Michael Breed.   But, ultimately, it's not really personalized instruction, so you don't really get too much instruction from it.   Maybe a swing thought idea here and there, and some short game drills to work on.  As a matter of fact, I think a long while ago, I learned how to hit out of the sand from the golf channel.  That is still, to this day, the one skill I gain strokes on all of my friends at.   (unfortunately, I imagine bunker shots are like a SV (-8), given that I have like 1 per round.  tops.) But, it's still quite enjoyable nonetheless.   It's always fun to listen to people talk about the golf swing.  If your'e in to that kinda thing.  
    • Thing is that I don't consider myself a poor putter. I played a tournament on one of the nicest courses in our country yesterday. Probably the fastest greens and they kept getting faster as the sun was shining yesterday (I was told that by a friend in my flight that finished with a 76).  I had 38 putts on 17 holes. I had 5 3 putts. 2 of those 3 putts came on the first 2 holes. And I was rarely inside 10 feet for the first putt. In a round of 101 over 17 holes (had ESC on one par 5 where I picked the ball up) 38 putts were pretty decent. 
    • I carry 4 wedges right now...

PW - 122 Yards (Max)  115 Yards (90%)
      AW - 107 Yards (Max)  100 Yards (90%)
      54° - 95 Yards (Max)  85 Yards (90%)
      58° - 80 Yards (Max)  75 Yards (90%)

Inside of 100 yards... it really depends a lot on my lie and where the flag is located.  I like to play a lower flight with my 54° when a pin is back... but I prefer a higher shot with my 58° when a pin is up front.  

I'm inconsistent (at best) when I get inside 70 yards.  I've tried the 'clock' system with my arms, but I find that if I pay too much attention to my arms, I forget to move my lower body and that leads to some really, really bad results. 

CY
    • My 60 is good up to about 75-80 yards mostly 56 is good up to around 100 50 is good up to about 125 ish PW is good up to about 135-140  Of course the are all to be taken with a grain of salt because my swing is pretty junk so these are expected distances on good strikes which do not happen as often as I like. Most of the time I prefer to fall a bit short of my target as opposed to long as the courses around here tend have harder ground and/or more trouble long of the green.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Isaac03
      Isaac03
      (33 years old)
    2. phillyk
      phillyk
      (27 years old)
    3. PhishAreFriends
      PhishAreFriends
      (27 years old)