IGNORED

Can anyone recommend a good BEGINNER'S set of clubs?

Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone! This is my first post here.

I've taken golf lessons and I've been golfing a fair amount of times. Recently I got a job where I get free golf for me and three friends whenever I want. I am taking the opportunity to get serious about golfing.

I need some clubs. Can anyone recommend to me a decent set for under $250? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

—Mike

Originally Posted by mikeycarps

Hey everyone! This is my first post here.

I've taken golf lessons and I've been golfing a fair amount of times. Recently I got a job where I get free golf for me and three friends whenever I want. I am taking the opportunity to get serious about golfing.

I need some clubs. Can anyone recommend to me a decent set for under $250? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

—Mike

Can I be one of your 3 friends?  j/k...

As for clubs, $250 including the bag, putter, the whole deal?

$250 can certaintly buy you a set of clubs.  It just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

If you look for used clubs, you should be able to score a nice set for right around that, and as you improve you can upgrade individual pieces.  That being said, it will take some patience to find the right deals.

here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nike-Dymo-Driver-3W-5W-and-Taylormade-Burner-1-0-Irons-/300910183222?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item460fa50336

The buy it now is $400, but you might be able to get it for around $250.  You will still need a putter and a golf bag, but its a solid start.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Thanks for the advice! I'd like to get a nicer set, but I understand that probably won't happen with my price and time constraints. Since I'm a beginner I will probably upgrade soon so this set doesn't need to be the absolute best I can get in my budget.

I'm debating between two sets right now. Which do you think is best?

http://www.amazon.com/Pinemeadow-Pre-16-Piece-Complete-Golf/dp/B004VK17C0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1369929915&sr;=8-1&keywords;=golf+clubs

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19465516&cp;=2367438.4074790.4074793

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=19465526&cp;=2367438.4074790.4074793

I'd definitely go the used route.  I was at a small golf shop the other day and saw some nice used Ping's and Cleveland irons for $150.

Another option is one of the Orlimar or Tour Edge sets from Rockbottom. With your sort of budget, used or a cheap online store like gigagolf/valuegolf would be a good go too.

Dick's has good deals on cheap box sets usually. I bought a box set that including everything but golf balls and tees for about $200 from there when I started playing a year ago. I reccommend starting with a cheap set to make sure you have the patience for the game as you're learning it. Some people dont. And if you learn to play well with cheap clubs, you may seen a good increase in performance when you finally do decide to upgrade your set.

if you want a box set, one is as good as another.  Just go to your favorite sporting goods store or golf store and buy the one that is most attractive to you, it won't really matter which one you get.

Buying used will get you a set with some resale value, but if you don't have somebody who already plays that can help you pick out the right deals, you are probably better off just doing what you are thinking about.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Since you are new to the game, buy the clubs in person. Avoid Craig's List, eBay in early going. You don't get to hit the clubs first.

You can get boxed sets for around $250. A good golf shop will let your try out different ones. Different models may be about equal in quality, but one or two will just "feel better" to you. Go with that one. Is your lesson pro connected with a golf shop?

If you need any tweaks to the lie angle, or maybe built-up grips if you have large hands, the shop could do this for you at minimal extra cost.

Boxed sets made by major companies are durable. If you play a few times a month, the set should serve you well for the first couple of seasons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely get the used Nikes/Taylormades. I would highly recommend not getting a cheap bag set that you will replace soon.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

I would go with a used set off Craigslist or Play-it-again Sports and then have them fitted before buying a new set of crappy Dick's or knockoff countefeits. Logic being that if for some reason you decide against playing or if you want to trade up in 6 months,those Top Flites or Pasadena Wine Mixer knockoffs will have absolutely zero resale value

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

I bought the ladies version of theses ultras for my wife and they are really very nice for the price. http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/wilson-golf-2012-ultra-complete-set-with-bag-graphite-steel.html# Or http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/wilson-golf-profile-hl-complete-set-with-bag-graphite-steel.html

Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!