IGNORED

Worst bunkers that you have ever played in.

trackster
Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to take a photo next time in there... Rockland Lake's Executive course (par 3) has an actual boulder in the trap. Hole 6. It's not raised and sitting in the trap, there is just sand scattered around solid rock. Haven't been in it offer, but you really can't hit out of it depending on where you end up!

F U....

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The worst I've played was last year, a local muni course here.. bunkers feel like you're swinging into wet clay....

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Just to add to the conversation, this is the definition of a "bunker".

Quote:

Bunker

A “ bunker ’’ is a hazard consisting of a prepared area of ground, often a hollow, from which turf or soil has been removed and replaced with sand or the like.

The phrase "or the like" can mean just about anything.  The real key to the definition is "turf ... has been removed".

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I know I'm in the minority (at least among the players I know) but my preferred lie is off of hardpan for any shot except a super high flop shot.

It's always a tough pill for me to swallow when we are playing a scramble and we have the choice between hard pan and grass and I know the rest of the team wants the grass and the hard pan is a piece of cake that I can't possibly mess up.

Just to add to the conversation, this is the definition of a "bunker". The phrase "or the like" can mean just about anything.  The real key to the definition is "turf ... has been removed".

I know you take pride in knowing the rules, but I would hope even you think some of these bunker conditions are ridiculous. At my course, a majority of the bunkers have very high lips. Since these bunkers have deteriorated so badly over the years, it's possible (and quite common), for the ball to roll up to the lip. It's nearly impossible to clear a 3 foot lip when you are 1 foot away from it and you are hitting off of hard pan. If they designed these bunkers so you didn't need such a high shot out of them, then I'd be more acceptable of them. The original design, however, was to force the player to hit a good SAND shot to get over the lip. We don't care if they are still technically bunkers... It's the fact that we can't play them the way the bunkers were designed and require us to play them. It's just horrible course maintenance by these golf courses. Although, the cost of sand combined with the financial problems of many courses likely prevent them from being financially able to correct the situation.

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Just to add to the conversation, this is the definition of a "bunker".

The phrase "or the like" can mean just about anything.  The real key to the definition is "turf ... has been removed".

I know you take pride in knowing the rules, but I would hope even you think some of these bunker conditions are ridiculous. At my course, a majority of the bunkers have very high lips. Since these bunkers have deteriorated so badly over the years, it's possible (and quite common), for the ball to roll up to the lip. It's nearly impossible to clear a 3 foot lip when you are 1 foot away from it and you are hitting off of hard pan. If they designed these bunkers so you didn't need such a high shot out of them, then I'd be more acceptable of them. The original design, however, was to force the player to hit a good SAND shot to get over the lip.

We don't care if they are still technically bunkers... It's the fact that we can't play them the way the bunkers were designed and require us to play them.

It's just horrible course maintenance by these golf courses. Although, the cost of sand combined with the financial problems of many courses likely prevent them from being financially able to correct the situation.

That is a design/maintenance issue.  High steep bunker lips require more maintenance than a shallower, less radical bunker.  Courses which don't have the maintenance budget to properly care for such bunkers styles should remodel them with lower lips.  My home course had a couple of that type, but when they discovered the difficulty of making sand stay on that steep slope, they sodded 4 feet of the 5 foot slope and made the bunker much more player friendly.  It still offers the same degree of difficulty to play from (the green is about 7 feet above the sand), but it has consistent sand depth now.  It was a much better solution than trying to maintain such a bunker.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's a hazard for a reason. That said, just bring it up to the superintendent. If the course gives a trap about their members, it will be addressed. I meant crap but trap seemed appropriate.

hehehe.......

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

My thoughts exactly.

I've never experienced a bunker THAT bad but if it truly is hard like concrete couldn't you just hit a regular pitch shot?

Question: If you declare an unplayable lie in a bunker you still have to drop in the bunker correct? ie: you can't go backwards as far as you want?

No you can only go back to the place your last shot was played, otherwise you stay in the bunker

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!