Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VinnieL

driver/woods question

14 posts in this topic

When I went to purchase my clubs the salesman said my swing speed was mid to high 90's and I purchased my driver and woods with a stiff shaft. Now no matter what I do I get a nasty slice I try to swing easier and I get a slice I swing harder take a stronger grip I slice. Now that I think about it I was swinging probably 95% or more I'm wondering if I should be not trying to swing as hard and get better control at a slower swing speed with maybe a regular flex driver and woods. What do you guys think?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I guess I'm off to see a pro some time this week because I hit my irons very straight most of the time but my driver and 3 wood are a mess right now

Originally Posted by VinnieL

I guess I'm off to see a pro some time this week because I hit my irons very straight most of the time but my driver and 3 wood are a mess right now

That's normal.  Its like how beginners can hit wedges but if you hand them a 5-4 iron, they'll slice it.  The longer the club, the more timing it needs to square up on impact.  Definitely see your pro so he can have a look at your swing.  Longer clubs, especially the 3w off the deck, exposes any swing issues sometimes not seen in irons or shorter clubs.

Originally Posted by Stuffs

That's normal.  Its like how beginners can hit wedges but if you hand them a 5-4 iron, they'll slice it.  The longer the club, the more timing it needs to square up on impact.  Definitely see your pro so he can have a look at your swing.  Longer clubs, especially the 3w off the deck, exposes any swing issues sometimes not seen in irons or shorter clubs.

I don't think "more timing" and "squaring it up" has much to do with it.

People slice longer clubs for two reasons:

1) it changes their swing slightly

2) decreased spin loft

And between those two, it's mostly #2.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's very rare that the difference between an R and an S in off the shelf OEM shafts is significant to a normal golfer. I'm pretty sure you have a swing problem not an equipment problem, and the slice is one of the most common results for a swing problem. I'm guessing you are striking the ball with an open face or an opening face. That is not difficult to find but the cause can be a whole lot of things I cannot even begin to list.

I suggest you have a short session with a very good swing guru, listen very carefully, and spend a lot of time practicing what he is trying to teach you. It's very important you understand his solution and why before you spend a lot of time trying to apply it. Your time is precious and learning comes a lot faster and easier if you understand the proposed solution.

Shambles

Shambles that's exactly what I am going to do this week or as soon as I can with a local pro. I am waiting for his call back probably in the morning to see when I can get in there. While I play for fun and I am not ultra serious I am competitive with myself and would at least like to keep it in the fairway I don't care if it's 230 or 240 as long as it is playable.

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't think "more timing" and "squaring it up" has much to do with it.

People slice longer clubs for two reasons:

1) it changes their swing slightly

2) decreased spin loft

And between those two, it's mostly #2.

Isn't poor timing to or not squaring up the face on impact a change in the swing often caused by a longer club?

Originally Posted by Stuffs

Isn't poor timing to or not squaring up the face on impact a change in the swing often caused by a longer club?

No. I'm saying the entire swing changes enough (people are more likely to come over the top AND scoop the ball more with longer clubs than they are with shorter clubs). And people are more likely to have a face pointing farther LEFT with the longer clubs than they are with the shorter clubs, so that's basically the opposite of what you've said.

And still the bigger issue is the spin loft one.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow you know what I just realized I'm cutting across the ball quite a bit. I think it's my hips opening up way too early, I'm still going to a pro but pretty sure that's my problem. There may be other issues but that is a huge problem.

Instead of moving my weight forward or onto the left foot I'm shifting weight by opening my hips at the top of my swing

Had a session with a pro and went over some issues have another session next week

well what does he have you working on?

My address positioning. Backswing was too upright at the top he wants it back around my head unstead of almost over my head. Also in to out swing and not blocking my release and allowing the hands to cross over with a good extension.