IGNORED

Show me the proper grip, please?

Note: This thread is 6126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I keep reading threads where an instructor changes the original poster's grip, and boom, hitting with much more consistency. I keep reading it shouldn't be very tight, and should be around the tips of your fingers instead of nestled towards the base. I can't get those through my head and keep wanting to wrap more of my hand around the grip.

I've also watched some videos showing the proper grip and resting the grip on the index finger with the two middle fingers providing the pressure. It feels pretty awkward, almost as if I won't be able to hold the club when I swing through.

Any pics / pointers?

• Administrator
http://images.google.com/images?q=proper%20golf%20grip

Or go pick up Hogan's Five Fundamentals book.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with Erik - Ben Hogan's Five Lessons is a great tool to learn a proper grip and is the best golf instruction book ever written in my opinion. He spends a whole chapter on the grip and the illustrations are incredible for a book that was written in 1957.

Keep in mind Hogan was fighting a hook when he wrote this book so his grip is very weak (The "V's" on BOTH his hands are pointing to his right ear).

If you are fighting a slice you might want to have the "V's" on your hands pointing toward your right shoulder (if you are a right handed golfer).

If you are not fighting either a slice or a hook than you would do good to employ a neutral grip (V's are pointing between your right ear and your right shoulder).

You can pick up Hogan's book at the discounted price of $9.60 by clicking Here

Hope this helps.

Here my neutral grip video... there are two actually. An older one and a newer one.

Older - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNPXegxTi8
Newer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZmOIZWjzU

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

It took me 10 months to get my grip right. I literally got it right about two weeks ago. Finally had a lesson, and all along i've been struggling with changing my grip all the time to suit how i was striking on the day. Now i have a grip that's stable and provides a foundation for whatever i do going forward. Its amazing what you can ignore when you just start, that will severely impact you going forward. I settled on the interlock grip, which from what i've read is for beginners and people with weak wrists. But from what I see, lots of top players use this grip. Tiger, Ernie and quite a few others.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Turkish, I think this website is very instructive:

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/tuition/lesson2.html

Best info I've found outside of Hogan's book, anway.

Lynchjo - Nice job conditioning the instruction on proper grip found in Hogan's book. You make an important point, imho.

Good luck, Turkish. However, don't expect the change to feel natural for a long time. Jody Vasquez wrote a great book about the relationship he developed over several decades with Hogan. He started out shagging balls for Hogan in his teens, and remained in contact with Mr. Hogan throughout the rest of his life. Vasquez relates a story in the book wherein a well-known golfer received a tip from Byron Nelson regarding his grip. The golfer implemented the change, and it improved his game, but it took him two years to become accustomed to the change! So don't feel bad if it takes a little while to feel natural. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

- Rob

Thanks again for the support and direction.

The golfer implemented the change, and it improved his game, but it took him two years to become accustomed to the change! So don't feel bad if it takes a little while to feel natural. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

This is kind of the reason I want to try and get rid of some bad habits I might be forming before I go in for my first lesson, while I'm still very much a newb. So when the 'real' proper techniques are shown, I have some sort of idea what the instructor will be talking about, or won't be so tempted to go back into the bad habits since it's still fresh in my golf timeline. I'll probably take a lesson once the courses close down here in Chicago, I just want to try and enjoy the rest of the good weather for now and teach myself what I can.

I keep reading threads where an instructor changes the original poster's grip, and boom, hitting with much more consistency. I keep reading it shouldn't be very tight, and should be around the tips of your fingers instead of nestled towards the base. I can't get those through my head and keep wanting to wrap more of my hand around the grip.

either post your email address, pm me or teach me how to post an attachment, and I will send you very specific, correct instructions on the grip

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• Administrator
either post your email address, pm me or teach me how to post an attachment, and I will send you very specific, correct instructions on the grip

How about you post them here for all to see. That's kind of the point of a forum.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How about you post them here for all to see. That's kind of the point of a forum.

I just received it, it's a 1.5mb pdf page. I'll try taking some screenshots of it to break it apart and posting it here. It's a page of text with 5 pics.

Thanks Leek.

LOL.. that was funny.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Definitely go and pick up Hogans Five Fundamentals Book. Go to Amazon.com and get it used, i think i paid 3 dollars for it.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

• Administrator
I just received it, it's a 1.5mb pdf page. I'll try taking some screenshots of it to break it apart and posting it here. It's a page of text with 5 pics.

If it's not illegal to post it for sharing (which I'm assuming it's not, since it was shared with you so readily), why not post it somewhere so people can download it and post the link here? There are lots of file-hosting sites out there.

If it's not illegal to post it for sharing (which I'm assuming it's not, since it was shared with you so readily), why not post it somewhere so people can download it and post the link here? There are lots of file-hosting sites out there.

You can download the pdf file here:

http://homepage.mac.com/brianmanzell...ellasept03.pdf

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Tried out the details in the PDF and had immediate success at the range with my short irons. Long irons and woods I had a mean hook though, but at least it got rid of the slice, right? I think it was a matter of focusing on my left arm on the downswing, just gotta learn to keep that focus each and every time.

I also think I'm holding onto the club too tight. If I was out there any longer a blister would probably have formed on my left middle finger.

Note: This thread is 6126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!