IGNORED

Ok, so who carries the FEWEST number of clubs in the bag?

dave s
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MS256

I carry the max and I hate having to guess whether to leave my 60 degree at home or my 5 wood at home. On most courses I go without the 60.

I solved that problem by taking my Driver out of the bag.  I just use my 3 wood most of the time with similar yardage as my drive and more accuracy.  And then I get to keep my wedges.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by bradsul

I have a sunday bag I like to use when I play my with my parents at their executive course.

3H (for par4's and the par5 (515yd))

6i

8i

PW

SW

P

I use this once a week so I'm not sure if it counts as my semi-normal setup.  My normal setup is 14 clubs.

Awesome!

I use 14 clubs.  But my best golf buddy and I sometimes play our local executive course (par 32, 4 par 3s, 5 par 4s) carrying only a 7i (putt with the 7i too).  Super fun.  Really promotes working on new things on the course.  You're only carrying one club, so you can't take yourself too seriously, and you have to hit a whole string of shots between 50% and 90% full distance, so you try all kinds of things.  Sawed off little knockdowns to straight high shots to punch-runner draws to soft fades to 7i "flop" shots.  Not that all of those work out perfectly!  But really fun.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I actually played with a guy who brought 3 clubs: driver, iron, and putter.   He didn't carry a bag.   I thought he'd be good but he wasn't.   He barely drove past 180 yards, his iron & putting were inconsistent.   I don't really know what he was doing there.   I suspect he was at the range working on few shots and putting, saw an opportunity to sneak into 1st tee and started playing with what he brought.

Hey, if you are that guy and reading this article, please explain what you were doing .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I actually played with a guy who brought 3 clubs: driver, iron, and putter.   He didn't carry a bag.   I thought he'd be good but he wasn't.   He barely drove past 180 yards, his iron & putting were inconsistent.   I don't really know what he was doing there.   I suspect he was at the range working on few shots and putting, saw an opportunity to sneak into 1st tee and started playing with what he brought.   Hey, if you are that guy and reading this article, please explain what you were doing :mad: .

Looks like you played a round of golf with a homeless man.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Most of 2012 I played 12 clubs. For no other reason than I had space I brought two more in and it's rare I use more than 7-8 during the round. In fact about a month ago I bought a new iron set and headed out to the course, couldn't wait to try them. I only played 9 holes that afternoon but after being like a kid waiting for Xmas morning the only club in my new iron set I hit that day was the 8. Both times from the tee of a par 3.

Dave :-)

So I tried just 6 clubs today and played bogey golf like I normally do two long clubs, two mid clubs 7i,9i, and two short clubs sw and putter.  I will be doing this again.

Curious what you guys carry for Par 3 courses? For me it's everything but my driver and fairway.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

5 - sw

putter

8 clubs total every time

In the :tmade: san clemente 14 way bag: :ping: G30 Stiff shaft driver 9deg upped to 10 :tmade: RocketBallz 4-sw Steel Stiff Shaft :callaway: 50 degree wedge :wilson_staff: 58 deg Wedge :cleve: Center shaft putter :titleist: Balls & :footjoy: BOA shoes

I carry 14 clubs in my bag (see list for details). For some reason, my 9i is probably the club I hit least. Other days, depending on how thick the grass is, I'll primarily chip with either my PW or my GW.

On two short par 4s, if I have a tailwind, it's a 7W off the tee... if it's a headwind, a 4H.

But, in a month's time I'll hit all clubs at least a couple of times.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Charles Blair Macdonald played with merely 6 clubs during a time when you could carry up to 22 clubs in your bag. He was disgusted by that notion, and I think he was right.

I used to coach JV golf at a local high school. Once a year I would make the guys play 9 holes with one club and a putter.  Inevitably, every year, one of my knuckleheads would shoot a 41 or 42 with one club and a putter, and the next day in a match would shoot 45 or 46 in a match with 14 clubs.  A-a-a-a-a-a-ah!

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker

7 clubs - D, 3W, 5, 7, 9, SW, P.

Easy to carry, even easier in a pull cart.

When ever I bring a full bag of 14 clubs, half of them don't seem to get used. Why bother?

nice. Keep telling my friends to lighten the load and they would be shocked how well they play but still no takers.

I have only had 3 sets of clubs in the last 22 years.

I started with 25 year old hand me downs from my father and had-

3W

3i

5i

7i

SW

P

I was 15 and got my handicap to about 18 with these old clubs.

I bought some Tommy Armour Ailver Scott rip offs and lowered to about 14-15 handicap

1W

3W

5W

3,4,5,6,7,8,9i

PW

SW

P

I kept this set for 21 years and rarely played for a long time and about 3 months ago played for the first time in 5 years and am now off a 15.2 handicap after 12 rounds.

I have played 7 rounds with my new PowerBilt Airforce one clubs and am starting to get used to the extra distance. I used to hit a 5i from 150m and now hit a 7-8i 150m. Today I hit a 9i from 135m.

I think I could play between 90 and 100 with the following clubs

Hybrid

6i

9i

SW

P

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!