IGNORED

Completely new swing, now how do I learn it?

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Went through a hell of a time slicing recently, which was weird because I never sliced before in my entire life and then all of a sudden it happened.  I've mostly fixed it now, but can't take powerful swings because the slice comes back.  My drives are going like 220y instead of the 280 I was used to, and the contact isn't quite as good on the irons as it used to be.  No matter, my technique is much better, I just need a way to program it into my head/muscles.

What approach have you taken or do you take to get a new technique to stick in your head?  I've been hitting 2-3 buckets a day at the range but it gets tiring.  So far it takes me several balls to remember the swing that is right, even though I just hit it the day before.  I have found using the driver is the best club to practice with...if you can adjust a swing with that, you're golden on all of the other clubs.  Suggestions to program techniques in your head?

I've recently under gone a massive change in my swing also, which too cured my recent slice. My address was poor, I was too close the ball, not enough room for hands to manoeuvre and as a result my swingpath was totally wrong.

The way I've learnt it was through 'muscle memory' i.e. practice swings without any clubs. M ost days I just practice my new swing without any clubs and it's helped a lot out on the course. I do a lot of half back swings with my new stance to let my body learn what 'feels' right. I never question my swing when out on the course now as it's what now feels 'normal' to me.

To put it into perspective, my handicap is currently 24 and since doing a lot of this, I'm expecting this to drop to around 18 when I enter the next monthly medal - this is all in the space of 1/2 months!

Work on one thing at a time, do it correctly with purpose, over and over again

For example, if you have a problem with your grip, create a new way to grip the club, maybe you start the grip with the other hand, but do it over and over till it becomes natural. If you need to work on your hip rotation, don't even swing a club. Just get in your stance, and work on the feel of what gets you to get that proper turn. Do it slowly and with purpose until it gets ingrained. Then move onto the next part. You'll have to revisit things in the future. Even pro's exagerate movements because they loose bits and pieces of there swing from time to time. So don't worry if you start hitting it bad, learn what causes your misses and work on fixing that aspect.

Like for me, i hit pulls and cuts with my driver. I have to really work on weight forward, and getting that clubhead inside. So i work on those two things over and over again, sometimes taking 5 practice movement before hitting 1 ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Someone else pointed me to this post: http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!