IGNORED

Went from 100 to 85 in 5 months but now I want new irons..Ping G25 vs Callway X Hot

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My USGA Handicap is 16 but I am realy struggling wiht my irons. I went to Dicks and hit the G25 and Callway X hot irons and fell ni love. I currently have the Ping G20 and I know it seems crazy to buy new irons one year after a set but I really feel I outgrown the thickness of the cavity and the G25 are thinner and lighter. I am also struggling with distance bad. I feel that if I dont improve with putting and distance I may not shoot better than low 80's. Heck, I shot an 85 at Dormie Club and putted 23X on front 9! For some reason my 7,6,5 irons are shot so I have to use hyrbid 4,5 and choke up and then with my 8,9, and 5 wedges I am like lazer aim but NO DISTANCE! I was averaging 95 to 100 yds with my G20's and 110 with the G25 and X Hots at Dicks. I am ashamed to say that was with a 9 iron. Anyways, anyone got any thoughts on the G25s vs the X Hot's and for some who has a USGA handicap of 16 and has now shot 85 4X in last 7 rounds, would I want to look at something besides a game improvement iron? I really appreciate your help and I am not trying to boast at all because I am know that I am not a great golfer. I can still go shoot a 94 very easily.

And why are we chasing new clubs again?

I would suggest you get a series of three lessons and see if you can learn why you only get 100 yards with your 9i. I doubt your distance will improve much if you the G25s or XHots.

Did you get fitted for the G20 irons? A good pro can tell if your problems are swing related, or if you have too-stiff shafts.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think changing irons is the answer. Keep in mind most those simulators aren't as accurate as you might think. You need to grab a few lessons and work on the basic fundamentals of your swing and figure out why you're only hitting certain clubs less thank you should be. The iron isn't going to make your 9 go from 100 to 135.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

A few thoughts.

What about the ball you are using?

The Nike 1 Tour, Pro V-1 and the Callawy Tour have pretty high spin rates that will affect ball flight.

How is your ball impact?

Do you sweep it or take divots?

I think the lessons idea is a good one and a better way to spend your dough.

I am 61 years old and still play a set of 1996 Callaway Big Bertha Irons.

My 9 iron averages about 125 yards consistantly so I don't think it is a club issue.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place this world is when one is playing golf.  ~Robert Lynd

Callaway Big Bertha 460cc Driver

Big Bertha 3 Wood

Callaway 1996 Big Bertha 3-SW

Sam Snead Blue Ridge Sand Wedge

Ram Zebra Putter

What do you mean by ''my 5,6, and 9i are shot?

They're Pings - indestructible.

Personally, the G25's have a greatly improved look over the G20's - when I saw the G20 line, I was appalled ... appalled I say!

I'd change out because I could not stand to look at the G20 - I'm a believer that you must love the look of a club or be nearly in love to play with it consistently over time.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try mizuno JPX 825 (pro) and you will find new love

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

You pretty much have to just find clubs you like the look of and feel confident with. Noone who changes clubs really expects the new ones to really change their game, although it can happen. If you want new clubs just buy them. And really, the opinions of others mean very little when you are after clubs for yourself, unless you are thinking about a modern club like an MP 68 which you couldn't hit. The majority of clubs are variations on the same thing. New clubs won't change your scores.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!