IGNORED

Taylormade Daddy Long Legs Putter

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After being quite skeptical about the effects of the emerging trend of counter weighting in putters, I believe that there could definitely be something to this.  My promiscuity with putters is pretty well known so it should be a surprise when I get this excited about a putter.  A friend of mine asked me to email him with my first impressions with this new "not flat at all stick" and so I sent him the following:

I’ve lost count and have stopped trying to keep count of how many putters I have tried since I started golfing.  For the longest time I’d try different putters and like some enough to use again before getting to a point where I knew I could do better.  I am very proud to announce that I have finally found the right putter for me.  It only took 13 months (13 months ago today I hit my first golf ball) and thousands of dollars……

My putter arrived last night….I had read about it for a while but was skeptical about the supposed counter weighting in the grip and the supposed superior stability of the putter head.  I was wrong.  I knew instantly as I rolled that first putt on my synthetic bent grass putting green in my basement that I finally had found my putter.  As long as you line the putt up correctly it is hard to miss a short putt.  The longer putts will take some time but the good news is that this thing is as close to automatic as there is out there from 10 feet and in.

Yes it is a hideous looking putter and I am sure that I will be laughed at and mocked incessantly by the golfing elite at MCC.  All of the mocking and snide remarks will cease when I drop several (yes several) strokes from my average putts per round though.  And while it may also be plastic and cheap looking, the stability is simply too good to not use……Ladies, Gentlemen, and One Pump, I present to you, the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs Putter!

http://www.tgw.com/images/golf/products/clubs/putters/taylormade/48245/image.jpg

I’ve rolled and owned so many putters in the last 13 months and while I’ve had a good feeling about a few at first, I experienced putting nirvana last night for the first time.  I knew right away after the first putt that this was a different breed of putter.  I then took it to the practice range and was amazed.  I was actually trying to miss short putts with it by breaking my wrists down but the stability and MOI would still keep the putt online!  I only wish I knew sooner and obtained this gift from the golf Gods sooner!  I am not the only one that has seen the light either as there are many threads on various golf sites devoted to people losing their shit over how incredible this putter is.  The message is basically the same from each soul that has been saved by this not so flat stick: “It’s ****ing ugly and cheap but it just makes so many putts!”.

The irony is incredible.  I am very scared of spiders and definitely have some kind of medical condition with them.  There have been times where I have totally freaked out when one surprised me, almost to the point where I lost control of my bowels again (the other time was when I rode a roller coaster).  So of course fate would have it that I would end up with a putter named after a spider that has me placing my hands right over a huge arachnid when putting.  As long as I putt this great with this putter, I will have no problem embracing my new eight-legged friend!

After checking I did not see anything on this site about this putter......please chime in if you have used/purchased the putter?  I cannot wait to get this out on the course for a round tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried out the DDL for a few weeks.  I had a great honeymoon period with it, then it didn't seem any better than my SC.  What I liked a lot about it was the long grip.  I demo'd the 35" and it allowed me to really grip down on the putter which I felt gave me much better control on short putts.

On long putts, it was harder to control distance and I wasn't really liking the feel of the insert, especially compared to the milled face putters I've used.  I'm going to try out the Spider Blade to see if it's any better on longer putts but expect it to feel the same given they use the same insert on both.

I'd like to give the Odyssey Tank a try too, but right now they don't offer a lefty version.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Uhm…

http://edelgolf.com/find-a-fitter

$229 here, $245 there… pretty soon you're spending real money on putters when you could just spend it once and get a putter that fits you for life.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Uhm…

http://edelgolf.com/find-a-fitter

$229 here, $245 there… pretty soon you're spending real money on putters when you could just spend it once and get a putter that fits you for life.

I wish there was a fitter on Long Island.  I'm trying to free my schedule up so I can join you guys in PA, if I can I'd like to come the night before or stay an extra day for a fitting and maybe a lesson.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

I wish there was a fitter on Long Island.  I'm trying to free my schedule up so I can join you guys in PA, if I can I'd like to come the night before or stay an extra day for a fitting and maybe a lesson.

You should come when cipher comes. Either August 26/27 or the week after that - it's a little up in the air right now.

Anyway, not really on topic… so shutting up now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I hit this putter the other day at Roger Dunn. It definitely is easy to roll. I made several putts when toying with it. But I already have the Spider. And have finally solved some issues I had with the Spider... And have been making some solid putts... So I'm really not in the market for a new putter.

So I used the putter in a few rounds....my first round with the putter was last Thursday and I also used the putter for my round on Saturday too.  It was pretty good.  Again it is so easy to align.  The problem that I ran into was not with the putter but was my errors in reading putts.  It was very humid on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday when I played golf.  The greens at my country club are very fast.  They are stimping at 11 or higher in some situations.  I never realized the effect that such high humidity could have on breaks.  This combined with me using a new putter (the DDL) led to many missed putts because I did not realize that the humidity would take away break.  So I ended up putting pretty poorly but this was my error, not the putter.

I've been reading on other threads on other sites how many people love the DDL to start with and then the honeymoon ends and they end up going back to their old putter and putting better then they have before.  It seemed that there is a trend that the DDL helps in some way when you go back to your old putter.  So I was rolling putts on Saturday afternoon and went back to an Odyssey Versa 1 Wide putter and was on the practice green when I started draining just about everything.  I decided not to use the DDL for Sunday's round and instead use the Versa.  The effect was similar to what I had read about as I putted brilliantly on Sunday with just 32 putts (including some that were on the fringe) and saved par 5 times with one putts.

I'm not sure what this means for the future of my DDL.  I like the putter and I've only had it a short while.  There are many pros but some cons to it.  I will keep it for now and will use it here and there I guess.  It was just odd that I experienced improvement after I had used nothing but the DDL for a few rounds and then caught fire with my old putter......

BTW, I think that on some of the putts I may have been gripping too far down on the club.  When I was using the DDL I noticed this and moved my hands back up, not all the way but a bit further up and I noticed improvement.  There are definitely benefits to gripping down on the putter but I think it's possible to grip too far down.....

Originally Posted by bjwestner

So I used the putter in a few rounds....my first round with the putter was last Thursday and I also used the putter for my round on Saturday too.  It was pretty good.  Again it is so easy to align.  The problem that I ran into was not with the putter but was my errors in reading putts.  It was very humid on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday when I played golf.  The greens at my country club are very fast.  They are stimping at 11 or higher in some situations.  I never realized the effect that such high humidity could have on breaks.  This combined with me using a new putter (the DDL) led to many missed putts because I did not realize that the humidity would take away break.  So I ended up putting pretty poorly but this was my error, not the putter.

I've been reading on other threads on other sites how many people love the DDL to start with and then the honeymoon ends and they end up going back to their old putter and putting better then they have before.  It seemed that there is a trend that the DDL helps in some way when you go back to your old putter.  So I was rolling putts on Saturday afternoon and went back to an Odyssey Versa 1 Wide putter and was on the practice green when I started draining just about everything.  I decided not to use the DDL for Sunday's round and instead use the Versa.  The effect was similar to what I had read about as I putted brilliantly on Sunday with just 32 putts (including some that were on the fringe) and saved par 5 times with one putts.

I'm not sure what this means for the future of my DDL.  I like the putter and I've only had it a short while.  There are many pros but some cons to it.  I will keep it for now and will use it here and there I guess.  It was just odd that I experienced improvement after I had used nothing but the DDL for a few rounds and then caught fire with my old putter......

BTW, I think that on some of the putts I may have been gripping too far down on the club.  When I was using the DDL I noticed this and moved my hands back up, not all the way but a bit further up and I noticed improvement.  There are definitely benefits to gripping down on the putter but I think it's possible to grip too far down.....

Was the same for me, great honeymoon, but then not so great.

It is easy to align and keep from twisting but I had trouble judging distance on long putts, especially down hill.   On short putts it was really good (6' or less) but on anything longer my stats were better with my SC.  I'm sure I'm as much to blame as the club but many reviewers seem to have had similar experiences to what I did.

Joe Paradiso

• 1 month later...
Kind of laugh when I hear people say it was a good honeymoon. Obviously you liked it an played well with it in the beginning and instead of getting better you all just say well it started nice.

The feel is incrediable on the DDL and the ball just rolls off the face perfectly. It will save you many strokes from short distances but takes a little getting used too from farther distances. Funny today was my first day on the course with it and my first putt was a 30ft downhill putt with a slight bend to the left and sank it for a birdie. But like I said it takes awhile to get used to the distances but not a single time today did I leave any putt more then a foot from the cup and sank about 5 putts from 10 feet and out with no problems.

I laughed at your posting. I have been playing for many many years and have had my ups and downs but my weakness has always been my putting. When I read your posting I thought that you were writing about me. I have been from toe weighted to face balanced and even forward facing putters. Today I spent at least 2 hours with the Daddy Long Legs to make sure. To start with I found I was missing left but when I placed the ball further forward in my stance it was as if, as you said, the gods of golf suddenly appeared. I immediately had new clear ( you can read as nuclear) vision. My line up and stroke seemed set in concrete whereas I was always fiddling with ball position, hand position and arc vs straight back. First game is Saturday and I have pre-warned my golfing buddies and sent reference to your posting so as to avert too much ridicule. I say to avert too much as there will definitely be some. In fact I nearly didn't buy it for this reason but it works too well to care.

Note: This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!