IGNORED

Beginner buying clubs/shaft question

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone, I haven't played in the last 4 years or so and I'm looking to buy a used iron set. The last irons I had were the TM Rac HT, and was planning on getting the TM Rac OS to play with the next couple years and build my other clubs around them. My dilemma right now is I've found a set for a good price, but the shafts are stiff flex, and without being fit I'm almost positive I need regular flex. It be about $200 to get the clubs reshafted, should I just wait to find these clubs with a regular flex?

Thanks

For starters, you might take a warm-up lesson, and practice with your current clubs a little. You can then use info on shot distance (how far does your 7i go) and clubhead speed to get an idea of what flex shaft you need.

Your swing characteristics - including how soon you load and unload your hands, and how quickly you start your downswing - also influence what flex you need.

Ending idea: Get your swing and your swing muscles back into shape before deciding whether to reshaft the irons.

Note that RAC OS irons average $200 a set on eBAy, about the cost of your reshaft estimate. So, you might want to get RAC OS with the correct flex rather than going through reshafting cost on used irons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a current set I sold them when I stopped playing. I might go to a local golf shop tomorrow to see what they are saying about my swing, I just feel that the info will be a little off since I haven't played in awhile.

Now heres another question, say I found a set of Burner 2.0s locally for a good price, regular flex. Could this be a set used for a beginner/high handicapper?

Originally Posted by chief523

Ok thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't have a current set I sold them when I stopped playing. I might go to a local golf shop tomorrow to see what they are saying about my swing, I just feel that the info will be a little off since I haven't played in awhile.

Now heres another question, say I found a set of Burner 2.0s locally for a good price, regular flex. Could this be a set used for a beginner/high handicapper?

Yes. I got the Burner 1.0 irons back when i was a 25 handicap, and I still have and love them. I'm sure the 2.0s are just as awesome and forgiving. If the price is good, get these irons.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

I ended up getting the 2.0 iron set 4-SW, and have taken them to the range twice. I can tell my HTs had a stiff flex(which I never knew), just from slightly bending the 2.0 shafts. I've had lessons in the past but definitely still a beginner, from what I can tell these clubs are awesome and when hit well the balls go far.

Topping and thin shots have been a problem in the past and was the first day I took these to the range. Trying to keep knees bent, my head and shoulders down, today I feel better about at least getting the ball in the air(we'll see about next time...).

I'd want to have a consistant shot before I get them fit. In your opinions should I take lessons soon, just keep practicing at the range for awhile? I don't have a full set yet, and wasn't planning on taking these on the course for awhile.

Thanks

Originally Posted by chief523

I ended up getting the 2.0 iron set 4-SW, and have taken them to the range twice. I can tell my HTs had a stiff flex(which I never knew), just from slightly bending the 2.0 shafts. I've had lessons in the past but definitely still a beginner, from what I can tell these clubs are awesome and when hit well the balls go far.

Topping and thin shots have been a problem in the past and was the first day I took these to the range. Trying to keep knees bent, my head and shoulders down, today I feel better about at least getting the ball in the air(we'll see about next time...).

I'd want to have a consistant shot before I get them fit. In your opinions should I take lessons soon, just keep practicing at the range for awhile? I don't have a full set yet, and wasn't planning on taking these on the course for awhile.

Thanks

I'm all for getting lessons as a beginner, but if I were you before getting lessons, i'd practice on the range and see what your problems are, and then look up some drills to fix these problems.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

My never ending recommendation:

GET FIT.

Get a fit based on your body measurements and something rough about swing speed. Clubs that fit the swing you are working toward are worth more than "better" clubs that don't you your height, arm hang, and desired swing. For that reason alone, I'd seek professional help.

Note that I am not talking about hitting balls and checking lie boards and launch monitors. Save that kind of dynamic fitting for when you have the swing you plan to stick with for a while.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!