Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hand me down clubs

5 posts in this topic

I just started playing golf last month. It has been a little rough to say the least. My father used to play a lot( he almost made it to the pga tour but didn't get out of q-school). I have seen what a golf shot should look like. The ball launches off the club face like it was shot out of a cannon, but with an effortless looking swing. He bought a set of taylormade tour burner irons in 1995 or 1996 and he has a set of powerbilt tps irons from 1991 or 1992. I am not sure how much forgiveness these irons have. It sure doesn't seem like they have a lot, but that probably has a lot more to do with my swing than the irons. I don't want to spend 700 or more for a new set. Has technology changed so much that I should go out and get a more up to date set? Would learning to play the game with these older irons hurt my development in any way? Thanks.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

My brother has the tps 6.0 and I have tried the 7.0. Both would be still on par with current irons for forgiveness. Would use either club without a second tought. The older TPS are a bit of an Ping Eye 2 copy. Not a bad thing as they are a reliable design that people still play today. You would likely want to upgrade in the future though.

I started golfing a couple of months ago too and I would advice to get some lessons from a pro.

while you're father probably can teach you a lot of things he might not be the best person to learn you the basics.

My instructor started it part by part so not directly trying to hit a full swing where the club goes behind your back and your left shoulder comes all the way to the right.

The golf instructor is also a good person to advice you if the set you are using now is a good to start with I would guess.

I'd stick with the using the TaylorMade's...    And yes they are probably better than starting out with a "cheapo" iron set...

And i wouldnt think using these irons would hurt you at all....   jmo  goto the local driving range and just hit a like 4 or 5 big buckets of balls...  And dont worry so much about how far your hitting the ball, just work on hitting the ball straight..

And depending on your area that you live in, someone at the range could probably give you some advise on your swing and some helpful hints too..

Here's a story i sometimes tell to guys about my brothers first set of irons...  So back in 2000??  some a few of the guys i worked we all started golfing and I had my cheapo set, which was cheap, and then bought my boss's cheapo set which actually wasnt bad for being a no name set...

Anyways one day i'm out n about at a garage sale and see a cheap set of irons for sale and buy them for my brother...  Well he started golfing and used these for a couple years, and actually was pretty good with them...   Well when he graduated from Michigan state he bought a new set of clubs, some Wilson deep reds..   And as the Story goes he actually just wanted to replace his 7iron that broke, and when he was at a Golf Store he is trying to explain to the guy the type of irons he has.. Well he finally gets them from his car and brings them to the guy and the guy started laughing cuz he had not seen a set of irons that old in a long time....

I knew the set was old, but didnt know how old.... I'm guessing they was from the 80s???  i think they were Wilson's or Titleist's  idk...  but a true old school blade..

Well my brother basically said after using the old irons for so long and then going to a new set of Wilson cavity backs, it was so much easier to hit the new irons...

So in all reality using old irons and then switching to new irons isnt always bad...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Cleveland has played at a high level all year. I don't follow them to the same extent you probably do, but they kicked the snot out of the Tigers in every series. Didn't seem like they went through any sort of slump.
    • Hey, all. Life's been hectic between work and school and I've played very little golf lately. Hoping to be around a bit more, though!
    • Ok, Im not gonna pretend to understand this perfectly but this thread has branched off in a couple directions I had not intended. And thats NOT a bad thing, as several have reached out, and Im always looking for new golf friends. So thats a cool thing that happened cus of this thread, but mainly its a shout out to all of you for kind words, support, and tips for my game. As I mentioned earlier, too many have contributed for me to thank you all individually. But the tip I got about flaring ones feet out, the you tube video someone shared to help my shoulder clear my chin, the well wishes when I hurt my shoulder. Those and many more contributions from you all, I am very greatful for and my friends on tst deserve to hear it. Now, as far as things a man shouldnt think or say, thats ludicrous! A mans true strength comes from paving his own way regardless of what others say, do or think. Im kind of an emotional guy and I get that freaks some of u out. But I was raised primarily by my Mother and grandmother and Ive been through enough sh*+ in my life not to take anything or ANYONE for granted. That means sometimes u gotta let people know they mean something to u! AND ALL MY FRIENDS ON TST MEAN SOMETHING TO ME CUS THEY HAVE ALL ENRICHED MY LIFE OR MY GAME IN SOME WAY! For those of u who cant wrap your head around it, well they can kiss my 9 iron! 
    • Their best 10 rounds has a much wider range than my best ten. My best ten rounds are all within 2 strokes of each other, looking at my differentials. Their best ten rounds probably have a range of around 5-10 strokes, depending on their handicap. This means that if they match their best round of the last twenty, they're playing between 3 and 5 strokes better than their handicap. If I match my best round of the last twenty, I'm playing 1 stroke better than my handicap. Playing individually against a high handicapper I have no large complaints (other than my course putting a par 3 as the #1 handicap hole...), the system works out over time to level the playing field if I play the same person repeatedly. Playing against a full field of people in a net tournament is when it irritates me to no end, and I'll explain why using the table of probabilities for exceptional tournament scores here: A 22-30 handicap golfer has a 1 in 40 chance of scoring a net -4. As a plus handicap I have a less than 1 in 151 chance (that's listed for the 0-5 range) of matching his net score. In a field of 50 people of varying handicap ranges, you might say that the individual golfer in the field (of higher handicap) has a 1 in 50 chance or so (accounting for varying handicaps) chance at shooting a net score of -4.That means there's a ~50% chance at least one of the higher handicap golfers in the field will net a -4, while there is a .6% chance that I will be able to beat that score. If you change the score required to a net -3, assuming about 1:25 odds using that table, then it is a near certainty that at least one of the 25 higher handicap golfers in the field will shoot a net -3 or better. I have less than a 1.3% chance of beating that score (adjusting for the fact that I am beyond the 0-5 range). If the tournament has any number of players with a handicap of over 30, the odds become even worse for me since each one of those players has a 1:22 chance of shooting -4 or better. Even in one of the best case scenarios, where one of the players only scores a net -3, I have well under a 2% chance of posting a score that can beat that. I would have to, quite literally, play the best round of golf in my life to win the average tournament because the best gross score I have ever posted in a tournament round is 3 under par, which nets out to either -2 or -1, depending on the slope of the course played. I would have to shoot five under par to beat or tie the 25 handicapper who had a decent day and shot 94 instead of 97. Anyone who has ever played at that level before (myself included) knows just how easy it can be for those three strokes to be shaved off on any particular round. Maybe they hit one less tee shot OB that day because of a lucky bounce off a tree, or perhaps they didn't lose a golf ball because they looked for longer than normal due to the tournament. The bottom line is if it was a fair system I would have a 2% chance of winning a 50 player tournament of all different handicaps, but in reality I have closer to a 1% chance of shooting a net -3 or -4 (a normal winning score in net tournaments this size, having played in many myself). A 25 handicap golfer has a 6.8% chance of shooting a net -3 or -4, so you can assume at least one -3 or -4 will be posted if the field has just fifteen (out of 50 total) 22-30 handicap golfers. This means high handicap golfers are about 7x more likely than me to be in a position where they can win a net tournament.   I don't think it's unfair to me in net tournaments because I never win, it seems like the other guy always does, blah blah blah. I think it's unfair because, if you look at the numbers, it truly is. It's almost a certainly that at least one -3 or -4 will be posted in any net tournament of 50 players or more, and for me to beat that or match it I would have to play the best round of my life in that tournament, which has a 1% or less chance of actually happening for me. Handicaps can work okay up to a point, but I'm at a level where I don't even know if I am physically capable of shooting the net -4 (playing to the level of a +5, or the handicap of Phil Mickelson) that it would take for me to win or tie. When one person quite literally has to play like a hall of fame golfer to have a chance at winning or tying, it's generally not a fair system (considering the fact that I am nowhere near a hall of fame golfer myself).
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

1. matteson83
      (33 years old)
    2. Michael Riedy
      Michael Riedy
      (67 years old)
    3. Zeke Widjaja
      Zeke Widjaja
      (52 years old)
  • Blog Entries