IGNORED

Adding lag- good or bad for s beginner?

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Distance is the farthest thing from my mind this point. If I could hit the ball straight 150 yards every time I would be happy. I am more concerned about building a sound and repeatable swing!

Originally Posted by blaylock6502

Would this be enough for you to consider a different coach? Maybe he is used to working with people with more experience but it seems like I should be working on more fundamentals and let the other things come with time. I just feel like we may be putting the cart before the horse a little

Your coach should be comfortable, maybe even thrilled, to work with beginners. If your current one is not, find one who is.

Is "adding lag" a good thing for beginners? Having your hands lead the clubhead at impact is a result of many things done right in a swing. As others have said (and most agree), you cannot "add lag" by simply delaying the clubhead release. It is a result of your hands leading the clubhead, which is a result...Many of us look to see if this happens. I, for one, wish I had someone beat this into my head years ago.

Get a coach who will help you learn a proper swing from the beginning.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by colin007

if you do the research, youll find that "lag" is a result of a good sequence, not necessarily something you can "create" to cover over other issues.

Every pro I've talked to agrees with this. Also, a relaxed grip and soft right elbow helps enable lag.

As for possible driver tie-in, look at Sean Foley's article in the September Golf Digest , p. 38.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In this month's Golf Digest, Jason Day in explaining his 4 keys to distance, seems to advocate "less" lag, however I think the reason he mentions it "one key to hitting a straight drive is to keep the club head from lagging too far behind your body as you swing down"........He wants to maintain unity between body, arms, and club moving to the ball together. Certainly this can still be accomplished by having the club head lag behind your hands.  He also views spine angle away from the ball at address. Again, I don't think this is because of weight shift, but is for the purpose of sweeping the ball, but he still wants to shift that weight toward the ball at impact. He is not swaying, but he is putting " pressure" on the back foot's instep.  Then there is the article about Carl Petersson leaning way right at address but still managing to get all that weight moving forward. Article about Fred Couples swing, brings out yet another method.  With the right timing, there are several ways to achieve excellent results.  (Therein lies the rub....."with the right timing"...not everybody has it all the time.)

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!