IGNORED

New Irons

Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello. I currently have Top Flite Tour irons, circa about 2003. I am pretty unhappy with them. I don't know why they're called "Tour," I'm almost positive that they are game improvement, a category in which I belong.

I just got a job at a local restaurant so I am planning my first major purchase to be a nicer, newer set of irons. I want great forgiveness and distance both. Feel and workability are taking the back seat, but they are still in the car and are still important.

Ultimately I am going to get fit for these irons at Golfsmith, which I did not do for the Top Flites probably stupidly, so I will end up seeing which irons suit me best. What I am asking for, are irons to consider and probably end up shooting into the screen at Golfsmith.

So far, my big three are Callaway X20's, TaylorMade R7's, or Ping G5's. Another possibility is the Cleveland set, the Gold Gelback ones. I was looking into getting Nike Slingshots, which I heard were very forgiving, but I was a little worried about them being too "Super Game Improvement-ish." Can anyone testify for or against Slingshots? They're also cheaper than the rest.I use steel shafts. As you can tell, my price range is <$750, although I'd be willing to go to $800 if I'm entirely happy with a certain set.

Does anyone have any other sets to suggest, or things to look for?

Thanks for any help.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I am also considering the Callaway's and TM r7's. You might also want to take a look at the Cobra FP's as they are about $100 less than the others. However I haven't seen much feedback on them here on the forum. All three ranked well on the Golf Digest 2007 Hot List for game-improvement irons.
In the bag:
Driver: Tour SS 310 10.5*
Hybrid: 3i 845s Oversize Plus 18*
Irons: FP 4-SW
Wedges: TruTech 60* LW & 56* SWPutter: Deep Red Fluid Feel 7Balls: DT So/Lo (discontinued) or e6+ (trying these out!)

My first choice in irons were the Cobra's. Unfortunately, my golf shop did not carry them. So I tried the R7's. They have a really low trajdetory but if you hit well, that is the iron for you. Eventually I found up with the Big Bertha's, which are amazing, but it's all preference.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Yeah, I have the Big Bertha's in mind too, albeit towards the back.

I originally had the Cobra FP's up there along with the current main three, but I then went to a new range with my dad which had a demo cart, one of which with the FP's. For whatever reason, I just couldn't hit it at all.

Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

If you are going to Golfsmith to get fitted, they should be able to get you in the right set of irons. The TM r7's are probably the best iron on the market for "game improvement" without losing distance. The Callaway Fusion irons are also very good, but expensive. Again, with the amount of equipment on the market today it really comes down to personal preference. Some people need game improvement irons, but dont like looking down at the super thick top line that most are made with. Dont count out Mizuno. I know that they are know for their blades, but they have come along way with their higher handicap equipment.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Yeah, I'll be sure to look into Mizuno-What model irons though?

Any other suggestions anyone?

My advice..... try everything on the market and see what you like the best. A set of irons can be a pretty big investment for some, so you might as well try everything out there before you spend $800 on an iron set.
In My Bag
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I've been looking into the Cleveland CG4's. If your local pro-shop has some of those try them out. I've heard lots of good things about them, but haven't been able to swing them myself yet.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

Hello. I currently have Top Flite Tour irons, circa about 2003. I am pretty unhappy with them. I don't know why they're called "Tour," I'm almost positive that they are game improvement, a category in which I belong.

The Mizuno irons you might want to try are the MX-25s. I would also suggest you take a look at the Titleist 775cb irons: game improvement with a more traditional look.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

All irons mentioned are great irons, I hit the R7's well but thought them to be a bit bulky and almost a step backwards from my srixons as far as looks......then went to the TP's....... .......very sweet. More of a "players" club for sure, but look gorgeous at address, and give me some room to grow into. The FP's are nice as well, but again too much offset and a little to chunky for me. I also really like the looks and set up of the Ping S58's too...

Driver: Hibore XL Tour 9.5° Graman Limey
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB1 15°
Hybrid:
FT-hybrid 4H
Irons: RAC Tp combos 4-pw
Wedges:
RTG 53° & Dsg 58° Putter: CallieBall: ProV1x

Yeah, I've never really even thought about the Player's version of any club, and I doubt I will. I need something that will help me at least a little.

Some of the "players" cavity backs on the market are every bit as forgiving as irons marketed to high cap players. If you are banging the ball off the toe, there isn't a club on the market that is going to help you.
In My Bag

Well I don't believe I said that's my problem, did I?

I didn't mean that in a rude way, but I mean I've accidentally done that once or twice when I had lost my concentration, certainly not something to really influence a different purchace.

I just need regular game improvement irons.

My advice..... try everything on the market and see what you like the best. A set of irons can be a pretty big investment for some, so you might as well try everything out there before you spend $800 on an iron set.

I agree, definitely try the clubs before you buy. Find a shop that will give you a demo club to hit, probably a 6 iron. Don't be afraid to take each one to the range or course a couple of times to see what you really think.

I really liked the looks of the Callaway X-Forged irons and hit the demo. I thought it was OK, but liked the look so much I figured I would get a set and learn how to hit them. The guy at the shop I was working with suggested I try the X-20 Tours. I hit the demo and quickly changed my mind. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't suggested and would have probably bought hte wrong irons for me. Try before you buy for sure. SRJ
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Callaway Fusion irons are also very good, but expensive.

Ditto. Fusion will help your transition between high-mid-low handicap. Basically it's all-round irons. The reason from my standpoint is that they have smaller sole width and thinner top line among all game improvement irons. Once you develop a good swing you won't feel like using bulky game improvement irons anymore. Good thing comes in small package

With Fusion, there's no need to replace your irons because, IMHO it's good enough to use even if you're a low handicapper. You'll benefit in the long run. Expensive? Yes they are if you bought it new and from big stores. No if you buy it from online auction (you know what). I've seen a lot of mint condition Fusion irons for only around $400. I bought mine new for $625 about a year ago. Compare it to the price of big stores. Instead of spending all your $800 in irons, it's better to allocate them into buying new wedges, putter, or even driver. Save your hard earned cash and I congratulate you on your new job.
Yeah, I'll be sure to look into Mizuno-What model irons though?

You might want to try Mizuno MX-25, MX-19, and MX-17.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Instead of spending all your $800 in irons, it's better to allocate them into buying new wedges, putter, or even driver. Save your hard earned cash and I congratulate you on your new job.

Thanks man.

I just ask you though, where have you seen these Fusions go for this low? I would definitely buy them at that price, only problem being getting fit...you can't do that once you've bought irons already, or am I mistaken?

Thanks man.

Try

here Can you get fitted once you've bought irons? Of course you can! Try contacting your local pro shop.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I would consider TM RAC OS2 or Cleveland CG4's great clubs and cheap! You should be able to get them for under $400 new.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!