IGNORED

Graphite Irons

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all.
I was wondering, what are the main advantages of graphite irons? I mean they cost more, so they must have some advantage. Yet I feel that I hit steel shafted irons much better and further, I feel I can't get enough power in graphite irons. Almost everyone I see have steel shafted irons apart from the weak players.
Thanks, Ben.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I play graphite irons. It's more expensive because of the different processes in making a shaft. You probably didn't have the correct shaft on when you tried your irons.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Graphite offers great damping properties especially for people suffering from tendonitis and such. A recent study showed that golfers are still playing a shaft too stiff and heavy for them (which could be another topic)

Another great thing about graphite is that the quality has become far superior in recent years (hence the higher cost) and allows the manufactures the ability to manipulate weight, balance points, kick points, tip sections, etc far more than with steel. With steel you can control a lot of that with the steps in the shaft however not as easily as with graphite, creating a truer matched set.

I don't suffer from tendonitis but I've been curious about graphite shafts in irons so I've built several demo clubs to see how graphite shafts compare to my steel shafts and so far I'm impressed with the distance and control.

Like many products there is poor, good and great quality. Graphite will cost more than steel when matched with equal quality.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played MP-67´s with steel shafts before - I then switched to MP-67´s with graphite shafts cuz i had problems with my wrists when hitting too much balls. Since using graphite shafts i didnt had any problems with it anymore since i get a lot less vibrations transmitted. When hitting both irons (graphite and steel) i really cant see much difference in ball flight (some people say that graphite shafts would give you a higher ball flight but i guess this depends a lot on the shafts you use).

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

i've found that graphite shafts are alot easier on my wrists i broke mine when i was 18 and haven't been able to use a steel shafted club since with out alot of pain
In My Blue & Silver Sasquatch Tour Bag:
Driver: 10.5° Tour Burner TP
3 Wood: Tour Burner Tour
5 Wood Burner TP
Hybrid: Rescue TP 17°5-PW: R7 TP Flighted Rifle 5.5Wedges: 52°&60° cg12 Black Pearl 56° 588 Classic GunmetalPutter: Circa '62 No. 1 Oil CanBall: e6+

Regardless of what you hear, there are alot of players who arent weak that use graphite shafts. The feel is different and graphite is said to give you 5-10 yards gain in distance per club. A number of PGA pros use graphite shaftes or have in the past.. KJ choi (who recently switched back to steel), Rich Beem who is still using graphite, and John Daly who uses graphite in his wedges i believe (to name a few). I recently bought a set of Callaway x-14 pro series with stiff graphite shafts to pick up a loss in distance with my irons as i can no longer play as much as i once did. They have yet to arrive.. I also ventured in to rifle shafts and enjoy the softer kick point compared to dynamic golds s300 shaft. I will be playing rifle shafts from now on because of that.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

I just recently switch from graphite back to steel because I was overswinging with the graphites. They are really awesome though for reducing vibrations and helping with distance!

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I just recently switch from graphite back to steel because I was overswinging with the graphites. They are really awesome though for reducing vibrations and helping with distance!

Sounds like there was a big weight difference, had you switched to a lighter steel you would have overswung those as well. Graphite iron shafts come in a variety of weights (well good quality ones do atleast)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like there was a big weight difference, had you switched to a lighter steel you would have overswung those as well. Graphite iron shafts come in a variety of weights (well good quality ones do atleast)

From Aldias to Black Gold S

Yea a bit of difference in weight.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Note: This thread is 6143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!