• Announcements

• iacas

New TST Leaderboards!   12/05/2016

Check out the new TST Leaderboard at https://thesandtrap.com/leaderboard/! Try to earn reputation points to make your way onto the leaderboard!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Micah

V grooves vs square grooves

5 posts in this topic

Has it had an impact on your short game since manufacturures conformed to the v groove pattern?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Heck no. I'm nowhere near good enough to notice any real difference.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Square grooves were not outlawed. The majority of wedge grooves that are made today are "square."

The volume and spacing were modified, though. And corner roundness.

Oh ok thats what Ive noticed. I think it was 08 or 09 so if your clubs were manufactured before that it wouldnt be rellevant.

Originally Posted by Micah

Oh ok thats what Ive noticed. I think it was 08 or 09 so if your clubs were manufactured before that it wouldnt be rellevant.

The other part about this is that, with consistent use at least, then you will likely end up getting more spin off of fresh conforming grooves rather than older non-conforming grooves. I know this is the case for me, as I had a Vokey wedge from a few years before the groove change and I can't get near the spin from that as I do my current wedges. That being said, it's likely time for me to get new wedges again in the next year or two since I am starting to see little nicks and indents in the face, as well as having tried some of the new wedges. I don't really need the spin itself, but my wedges are starting to give inconsistent spin (sometimes more, sometimes less) depending on how the ball will grab the small scrapes and cuts in the face that came from range balls and sand/dirt.