IGNORED

Golf Season/Tryouts Blog

Hogan Incarnate
Note: This thread is 6110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ah, its that time of month again. The beginning of August. The weather is taking a turn for the worst, my mom birthday is coming up, and the Junior Club Championship. But there is one more event that has yet to be decided upon. Yes, that right. A new year, a new golf season!

Ok, so I was on the team last year and played in both JV and Varsity event, contributing to the team in both leagues. But in the middle of the season, my coach changed my swing drastically and I was in a slump for the rest of the season. I'm hoping that the golf team coach remembers the good stuff, not the bad. And hopefully my teacher doesn't change anything else until the seasons over.

For tryouts, we will play eight times at two different courses. The first four will be at Park City Municipal Golf Course, the next two will be at Jeremy Ranch Country Club and the finishing two will be returning to PCMGC. Each day (except for the first two) cuts will be made. There will be about 75 people trying out for 12 spots.

T-Minus One Day Until The First Day Of Tryouts

I went out for nine today at 6:30 today and shot a 41. There were easily five strokes that I could have done away with but what ever. I'm just trying to focus about tommorow. I went to church at nine and, ironically enough, the pastor talked about every little thing leads up to the one thing that will be rewarding. Oh, and he also mentioned golf a couple of times. I am planing to spend the rest of the day over at the course, hitting range ball, chipping, and putting with my good friend, Sam. I will also give you the scores that he, Brian (another close friend), and Jack (just a friend) made each and every day.
In the Bag
Driver: FT-3 Fusion Driver
Fairway Woods: FT-3 Fusion 5 Wood
Hybrids: FT Fusion Hybrid
Irons: ZB Forged 4-PWWedges: X-Tour (52,56,60)Putter: Rossa Daytona 1

Good luck buddy, I wish I had played for my golf team. Like you said just stay focused and you'll do great.

I love to hate this damn game.

Good luck man. I miss my high school golf days. I'm only 21, but I think those were the best times I have ever had.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

Just a quick update before I hit the hay.

T-Minus Eight Hours And 56 Minutes Before Tryouts

I hit the putting green tonight for about an hour and was putting average (mostly two putts with some ones scattered in there). But the thing that I was most proud of is that I only had two three putts. No chipping, only putting. Now that I think about it, I think that right now is the time to set goals.

Ok, for the first round I want to be at about 39. I also want to hit 6 out of 9 (yes, I know, we do only play nine holes tryouts) greens in regulation. I want to have about 18 putts. Oh, and I want to hit all the fairways.

I think that all. Time to hit the sack...
In the Bag

Im trying out for my High School golf team, im going into grade 10, and Ill easily make it, unfortunatly the Golf team isnt a big thing where I live.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm tryout out for my HS team too.. Need to shoot approx 100 on a par 72 course.. which I've been doing consistantly [96, 97, 98 was my worst score], but I'm still nervous as hell.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5*
3W: r7 Draw 15*
2H: Slingshot Hybrid 17*
7W: Launcher Sport 22*
Irons: Launcher 5-PWGW: X-Tour 50*SW: SV Tour 56*Putter: Sabertooth 34"Ball: TaylorMade TP LD Red

I think on my golf team ill be around 2nd or 3rd also. Im pretty excited but I have no idea how any of this works.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

This school year it probably won't happen for me, but I hope I'll make the team the following year.

Missing class to hit the links... what could possibly be better?
in the bag:
R580XD 10.5°
Rescue Dual 19°
Titleist 755 4-PW
Vokey Black Nickel 54.10° Vokey Oil Can 60.08° Circa 62 No. 2 Charcoal Mist

I played my tryouts earlier this week, and made the team easily. Shot 83-79 (first time!) to place 8th. Our team is amazing... so 8th is quite good.

Still mad that on my 79 day I missed 8 birdie putts (Most from 10 ft)
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

My tryouts are August 28th, 29th, and 30th.

I made the team last year as a Sophomore so I should have no problems this year.

Hopefully I can shoot close to even par since the course we are trying out on is fairly easy with the exception of a couple of difficult par-3s.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

First Day of Tryouts and...

I shot a 41 today which I would normally not be happy with but today, its OK. Especially considering that everyone there didn't play very well and I was the fourth lowest score...

On the first hole (par 4)I started out with a double bogie, pushing my drive behind a tree which I proceeded to knock out of the trees. Then I had a 150 yard shot that I hit into the bunker. Out from there and a two putt equals a 6 and a double bogie .

Second hole (par 4) I killed my hybrid and went into the trees 50 yards short of the green (I joked with my playing partners that if I'd hit driver, I would have been OB). I punched out, chipped and two putted for a bogie. Not a very good start. 3 over after two.

Third hole (par 4) I hit 3w to 90, hit a 3/4 quarter 56 that left me 75 feet short but on the green. I read the putt, stepped over the ball and gave it a good whack. And it went in. 2 over after 3.

Fourth hole (par 3) I hit a seven iron that just came up short of the green but was puttable. I hit that but it went too far and I knocked in my four footer for par.

Fifth hole (par 4) I nailed driver but blew it past the fairway, landing in the rough. I hit a 9 iron which came up short but managed to get up and down from there. Another par.

Sixth hole (par 4) I hit a 3w that was 115 yards out and then played a low shot that cheated the howling wind with my PW. 15 feet for birdy but I missed it but tapped in the par put.

Seventh hole (par 5) I went with a driver on this narrow hole and hit it dead straight and had a hybrid in. Hit it solid but some how it came up 50 yards short. I played a nice little 60 that was pin high but 20 feet out. I really don't know how I managed to blow that putt ten feet past but I did and ended up making bogie.

Eighth hole (par 3) One bitch of a hole. I had to take a hybrid on this 230 yarder and still came up short. Chipped it way past and two putted for a bogie.

Ninth hole (par 5) Played driver and sliced the hell out of it. I was forced to play a provisional with I again sliced it in the same shot. Luckily I was alright with my first one but was behind a tree. I hit out and had 145 in. 9 iron to twenty feet and what do you know? I three putt it.

5 over= 41.

Sam: 52 Not a good round for him
Jack: 48 Same as above
Brian:43 Average for him since he tripled the hole I birdied.

No tryout for tomorrow but on Wednesday they resume.

In the Bag

Plan to tryout for my high school team this year. Just gave up football and decided heck, why not. We play Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. 9 holes each day at a pretty easy course. Normally shoot between 40-47. Driver has left me recently but just plan on busting 3 Iron down the fairway. On most of the par 4's I can hit 3-iron and PW to get to the green. The par 5's are no more than a couple 3-irons and a 40-70 yard Wedge. Putting has been good lately with dew 3-putts so im optimistic.

Another day and another bad score. 43 this time. This is how it all played out.

On the first hole (par 4) I put my drive right were I wanted it. Straight and long and I had a 60 in. Somehow I left the face open and the ball drifted right, just narrowly missing a bunker. Had a crappy lie and couldn't make up and down so I had to settle with a bogey.

Second hole (par 4) Hit a hybrid of to the left side and had to punch out with a seven iron. It went in to the "valley of doom" and I failed, yet again, to make up and down. Another bogey.

Third hole (par 4) I hit 3w way off to the left and hit a provisional just in case. Topped that one and then hit a hybrid off in to the mantinence shed . Luckily I found my first and could play that one on to the green and two putt for a par.

Fourth hole (par 3) I pulled a 8 iron but managed to get up and down. Yay, another par!

Fifth hole (par 4) was my down fall hole. Took too aggressive of an angle on it and managed to hit it OB. I had to walk all the way back to the tee. I striped one down the middle and had a pitching wedge in. I was still ten feet out and some how three putted. A horrible triple

Sixth hole (par 4) I hit a 3w that was 125 yards out and then stuck a pitching wedge that almost went in the hole but rolled down a hill to ten feet. Missed the birdy and tapped in for a par.

Seventh hole (par 5) Another drive but this time a pulled it to the left side. I was able to get a full swing on it and hit a HUGE 7 that ran out of the fairway. I had to hit a low stinger with my pitching wedge that skipped off the green. Couldn't get up and down from there and ended up bogeying.

Eighth hole (par 3) Hit a good shot that just drifted off to the left and left me with a nasty, pin high shot for my birdy. Missed that one and tapped out for par.

Ninth hole (par 5) Hit a driver and just cleared the left sand bunker. I didn't have a shot at the green and had to take a seven iron that left me with an easy pitch shot. Some how I screwed that up and sailed it right over the pin and up on the fringe. I then proceeded to three whack it from there.

7 over= 43.

Sam:49 He started out OK (two over after 5) but then blew up on the last four holes. I later found out that he missed the first cut by a single stroke.
Jack:41 His best round in a while. He was so excited and braggy that I wanted to slug him in the face.
Brian:44 He was nine over going into the last hole and ended up birdying it...

In the Bag

This thread brings back some memories. Our team was walk on, it's crazy to read what you have to go through Hogan Incarnate. Crazy in a good way though, that's some serious competion for a high school team. Keep focused on your goal to make the team.

I've heard of Jeremy Ranch CC. Pretty great place to play? It's nice to be able to play a private club threw HS play. Take advantage of the time you get there. Get friendly with the people in the proshop, maybe you can land yourself a job? (If you want one at least.)

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Ok, the third day was, again, a disappointment. Another 43 on the card for today. Heres how the round played out.

Oh, and we played the front nine just so there is no confusion about pars

On the first hole (par 5) Smoked my drive. It looked like it was heading straight down the pipe but it started to trail to the left and found the right side of the rough (or so I thought). It ends up I was in a big pine and I had to take an unplayable. I walked back about 30 feet and dropped. I had a average lie so I decided to hit a hybrid. I end up thinning it and putting it in the same tree again. This time I could punch out with a seven iron. From there it was pitching wedge and two putts for a triple. Looking back on it, all I can do is laugh.

Second hole (par 3) I hit a seven iron off the tee and stuck it to about eight feet. I blew the birdie putt way by and lipped out the par. I felt so stupid ending up with a bogey after that magnificent shot.

Third hole (par 4) I played a perfect driver off the tee and thought i was perfectly in the middle of the fairway. It ends up that my ball struck a sprinkler head (yes, I did have a scuff mark to prove it) and bounced dead right and into the rough. I hit an eight iron which was again a perfect shot but again, I got the most unlucky bounce possible. It bounced dead right and into a bunker when it should have been on the green. I played out of the bunker to about ten feet and hit the putt dead on for a par.

Fourth hole (par 5) I hit a three wood cause a drive could either put me in the rough or in the water on the right side. It turned out to be a good choice cause I almost put it in the water anyways with a 3. Didn't have a good angle in to the green and played a seven iron. It was about 100 feet in so I pulled 56. Chunked it. Chip and two putts for a bogey.

Fifth hole (par 4) Hit a driver and came up 125 short of the green. Knock down pitching wedge to about five feet and drained the birdie. 'nuff said.

Sixth hole (par 4) Hit a high hybrid that dropped short of the dogleg. I had to swing a knockdown pitching wedge again. This time I just barely caught the green. Three putted it for a bogey.

Seventh hole (par 4) Hit a driver that soared gracefully through the air and landed 60 short of the green. Partial 60 into the green and stuck it to about 10 feet. Lipped out the birdie but had a tap in par.

Eighth hole (par 3) Hit a grip-down, swing easy hybrid on this hole that still managed to leave me with a nasty 80 footer for birdie. It was a double breaker and I didn't read it right. It went 6 feet from the pin. Missed that one for, yet another, bogey.

Ninth hole (par 4) Sliced a driver from the tee. I found the ball but it was nestled down into a pre-made divot. I took a steep shot with my 7 iron but it went off to the right. Failed to make up and down so I had another bogey.

7 over= 43.

Sam: - MC
Jack: 43 Wanted to punch this kid in the face today. He was saying how much better he could have shot and when he learned that I had tied him, he said that he had a more "solid" round, even though he didn't even play in my group.
Brian:44 Started off even worse than I did, quadding the first hole.
In the Bag

We didn't really have try-outs for my team this year because our 1, 2, 4, and 5 were all out of town. We did have me, the 3, and our 6 and 7. I shot 71 and 6 shot 95 and 7 shot 106.

We had our first match last Tuesday and beat two ballin' opponents with these scores:

1-66, a sophomore that was born with a club in his hand.
2-72
Me-73
4-79

We shot a 290 and beat two district rivals by 3 and 9 strokes.

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 6110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!