IGNORED

road to golf profession

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by TourSpoon As far as money in golf, no one starts making it by the bucket unless you are a PGA superstar like a Speith. You don't think there's pretty good money in teaching lessons at a nice public course?

Like I said, no one starts making buckets of money, especially giving lessons at a public course. You have to build a clientele and you usually have other duties that you have to work around. I know someone who teaches for a top twenty teacher and while she rakes in money during the season, she had to work years to build her business and be in the situation she is in. In South Florida there are more guys starving than there are guys cracking 6 figures.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

If I were the OP, I'd be intrigued to know how many people out there can combine a graduate level understanding in engineering  or physical science (not counting TGM ) with a really solid golf game (say, within a stroke or 2 of scratch).

I'd want to think that this would be a relatively rare (ie marketable) combination of expertise for trying to break into the golf industry, and a handy safety net if it doesn't work out.

Originally Posted by birlyshirly

If I were the OP, I'd be intrigued to know how many people out there can combine a graduate level understanding in engineering  or physical science (not counting TGM ) with a really solid golf game (say, within a stroke or 2 of scratch).

I'd want to think that this would be a relatively rare (ie marketable) combination of expertise for trying to break into the golf industry, and a handy safety net if it doesn't work out.

what do you mean by op?

I mainly want to work as an IE in the production setting, I know they don't make as much but I only really want to do that. I also feel that there is a better opportunity to move through the ranks as an ie into management. Also can someone explain why they use the 4.0system? I don't think it's fair if they weight ap classes as high as non honors

AP are scored the same as honors.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what do you mean by op?

Thread starter.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

What?

OP means original poster

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

ok so i am 14 and LOVE golf. I hope to play college golf with an engineering degree. My main hope is to play proffesional but i know how slim chances are but i want to strive for that and if i fail have another golf carrer and if that blows up be an engineer

anyway i was wondering what steps i should take in the next 10 years to become a golf engineer, coach, pga teaching pro and what not should be. What kind of money do they make how do you get started in the business and whatnot. Just started reading hank haneys book so kinda got my attention.

First off, stop reading Hank Haney's book and spend some time looking through this forum

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts

Regarding the engineering stuff, this would be good to check out

http://thesandtrap.com/b/throwing_darts/18_questions_with_ping_senior_design_engineer_marty_jertson

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

At[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/69627/road-to-golf-profession#post_889979"] Yes, honors and AP classes count as a 5.0 with an A AP are college level classes (Advanced Placement)[/quote] my school As with an honors class will get you a 4.5 and As with a ap will get you 5

"OP" =  "original poster"(abbreviated) = "thread starter" = you. Can't believe I'm explaining the internet, and its obscure etymology, to a teenager ;-)  - this day will live long in the memory!

Most teenagers don't talk like that, it's just those ones who think they are "hip"(and if you use the word hip you are probably not)

So if you take harder classes you are just giving yourself a lower gpa?

Even worse you are, unofficially, are required to take a 4 hour exam at the end and score 3 or better. 4 or 5 for your school reputation to remain intact. Don't take AP, unless you were on track for it in 7th grade. Talk to your counselor.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

Even worse you are, unofficially, are required to take a 4 hour exam at the end and score 3 or better. 4 or 5 for your school reputation to remain intact.

Don't take AP, unless you were on track for it in 7th grade.

Talk to your counselor.

Yeah, we are allowed to exempt exams if we have perfect attendance and an A. They only have 1 ap for freshman but i didnt take it because it is History an is mostly rote memorization

• Administrator
Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

Most teenagers don't talk like that, it's just those ones who think they are "hip"(and if you use the word hip you are probably not)

I sent you a PM about this. Multi-quote or responses will simply be deleted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Lihu

Even worse you are, unofficially, are required to take a 4 hour exam at the end and score 3 or better. 4 or 5 for your school reputation to remain intact.

Don't take AP, unless you were on track for it in 7th grade.

Talk to your counselor.

I have to say that the exams really aren't as bad as people say they are. I took two AP courses last year (Statistics and Chemistry) and scored 4's in both. You essentially get half of a school day off to take the test, and it tops out at 3 hours. They give you 90 minutes for multiple choice and 90-95 minutes for the free response (Chemistry was weird with giving you 95 minutes rather than just 90). I also enjoyed it somewhat because the testing room was very cool, which is what I prefer over being in a school that's much warmer than comfortable.

Basically you get to take a long test that doesn't actually take you the full time on anything but free response (they even feed you during the break) or you get to take finals tests in school anyways. Pick your poison really.

Originally Posted by Pretzel

I have to say that the exams really aren't as bad as people say they are. I took two AP courses last year (Statistics and Chemistry) and scored 4's in both. You essentially get half of a school day off to take the test, and it tops out at 3 hours. They give you 90 minutes for multiple choice and 90-95 minutes for the free response (Chemistry was weird with giving you 95 minutes rather than just 90). I also enjoyed it somewhat because the testing room was very cool, which is what I prefer over being in a school that's much warmer than comfortable.

Basically you get to take a long test that doesn't actually take you the full time on anything but free response (they even feed you during the break) or you get to take finals tests in school anyways. Pick your poison really.

If you took a little more time, would 5's have been possible? I got 5s in Chemistry and Physics, and took the whole time allotted. Got a 4 in Calculus (it was a mistake for me to take the hardest exam).

They were rough for me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Taking time wasn't really an issue. Multiple choice I did really well at, and finished early. Free response is what dinged me since they only let you use a calculator for 30 minutes, and I didn't get to all of my more complex calculations in that time. The free response, though only technically 6 questions, was really more like 20 individually difficult questions based on how they organize them. The hardest part on free response was the organic chemistry question (probably one of he main reasons I got a 4 instead of a 5) since our teacher gave us a brief overview of naming organic compounds in one day, then said organic chemistry would not be on the test. Not his fault necessarily, I know, and I should have prepared for it anyways. Statistics what got me was one error I made that I realized a couple of days after the test. I accidentally used a t-test instead of a z-test for one free response, which dropped me from what could have been a 5 to a maximum of a 2 on that problem. The t-test got the job done for what the problem asked, but a z-test would have made for a much more elegant solution hat they wanted.

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!