IGNORED

Pressing hands forward before starting backswing?

agross
Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately I've been noticing that I hit the ball much better if I press my hands forward and then start my backswing keeping that angle, as opposed to creating that angle at the top of my backswing.  I'm doing this on my irons (5-9), but not woods or driver, and not wedges.  It's a much cleaner strike and I get the distance and accuracy I expect to achieve with the given club.  Anyone have any input on this?  Is it going to be something I will have problems with in the future?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

In the bag:

Amp Cell Driver (red) 9.5*D

Amp Cell 3-4FW (silver) 3D, 5-7FW (silver) 6D

Amp Cell 3-4H (silver) 3D

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

I forward press only in chipping motion and it's more subtle forward press I find that if really forward press I develop a slice For some reason a backwards press like a LCT works better for me for the longer clubs

I have a tendency to do this and I am working to eliminate it. When it is slight, it's is not a big deal. I found that when I got a little stressed that it would get bigger and it would open my shoulders. Couple that with rolling the forearms back so that when the shaft was parallel to the ground the shaft was way inside the line and I have a recipe for crossing the line at the top. I don't think there is an issue with starting with the shaft forward, just don't get into a situation where you are rocking forward into the press and then taking it back. Just my thoughts on this...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to try to figure some things out this weekend when I get home off the road.

In the bag:

Amp Cell Driver (red) 9.5*D

Amp Cell 3-4FW (silver) 3D, 5-7FW (silver) 6D

Amp Cell 3-4H (silver) 3D

CG2 irons 5-PW

CG14 56*, CG 16 52*, 60*

Prestwick blade putter

Hex Hot Yellow Balls

I have always done this. Keep in mind that I use a very strong grip and old stiff clubs. I also finish with left palm facing target. I kind of hit inside out. I throw my hands forward less on the drive but I turn the club face in just a tad. Now that I look at this reply I am thinking it cannot possibly be helpful to anyone. lol

Note: This thread is 3877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!