IGNORED

Has anyone used the Orange Whip as an aid in rehab?

Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sure there are plenty of posts about the training advantages of the Orange Whip.  But has anyone used it as an aid for rehabilitation.  I am rehabing a small labral tear in my shoulder and was thinking it might be a huge help.

Any thoughts?

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

I had surgery for a partially detached and torn labrum when I was younger.  I'm not a PT/OT expert, but have done a fair bit of research and obviously rehabbed my own shoulder.  In it's training aid uses I'd guess it could be of some use, but my guess would be that it would be most useful in trying to imitate the kind of rehab exercises I did (was a pitcher at the time and worked with the guy who rehabbed Schilling from labrum surgery).

If you've been to PT at all, you've probably used the machine that has you doing various internal and external rotations with various arm positions where you're basically pulling on a handle attached to a cord wrapped around a fly wheel with some set level of resistance.  I'd bet you could reproduce those kinds of motions with the orange whip but get both the internal and external rotation exercises at the same time.

Guess my opinion is that you should see a PT for at least a couple sessions, both seeing what they give you directly and quizzing them on what kind of progression they'd envision for you.  As long as you don't overdo it it's been shown that in a ton of cases more active strength/stretch exercises produce better results than more static type things (weight/bands) do.  So I think it might be worth your while trying to reproduce the therapeutic motions/exercises recommended to you for your specific injury in a more active back and forth kind of way that you could do with something like the orange whip.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had surgery for a partially detached and torn labrum when I was younger.  I'm not a PT/OT expert, but have done a fair bit of research and obviously rehabbed my own shoulder.  In it's training aid uses I'd guess it could be of some use, but my guess would be that it would be most useful in trying to imitate the kind of rehab exercises I did (was a pitcher at the time and worked with the guy who rehabbed Schilling from labrum surgery).

If you've been to PT at all, you've probably used the machine that has you doing various internal and external rotations with various arm positions where you're basically pulling on a handle attached to a cord wrapped around a fly wheel with some set level of resistance.  I'd bet you could reproduce those kinds of motions with the orange whip but get both the internal and external rotation exercises at the same time.

Guess my opinion is that you should see a PT for at least a couple sessions, both seeing what they give you directly and quizzing them on what kind of progression they'd envision for you.  As long as you don't overdo it it's been shown that in a ton of cases more active strength/stretch exercises produce better results than more static type things (weight/bands) do.  So I think it might be worth your while trying to reproduce the therapeutic motions/exercises recommended to you for your specific injury in a more active back and forth kind of way that you could do with something like the orange whip.

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it.

Tomorrow will be my fourth week of twice a week PT, I do a lot of different arm motions without resistance and some motions with Thera Bands.  I will admit there has been a huge improvement since I have been going to PT and doing my exercises at home.  However sometimes just out of the blue the pain will come back with intensity.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!