IGNORED

Ignite or r7XD?

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which do you prefer? Which have you heard better things about?

I know in the end it will come down to my preference but I'd like a place to start.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

I just got the Ignite irons with the 3H... so far i love them... i got the uni-flex shaft and so far i have no complaints. i got them brand new online for under 300bux.. so i couldnt be the price either. I havent tried hitting the R7 XDs so i cant really compare, ill just say id recommend the Ignites to anyone, and already have actually... goodluck with your choice and let us know what you pick.

I have never tried the r7XD's but I tried the Ignite's and I decided they weren't for me, I just couldn't hit them as well as my Cobra's and it was between them two.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Prefer Ignites. For some strange reason the way the cavity is positioned/designed made it feel 'dead' no matter where I hit on the clubface.... If you have a big ego and like to say you hit your 6i 190m though then perhaps the R7XD's could be for you. They have very strong lofts. In fact, the PW has a loft of 44 degrees!!!!

They have very strong lofts. In fact, the PW has a loft of 44 degrees!!!!

This seems to be a pretty big issue considering that for most people this is going to leave a huge gap between pitching and gap wedge.

"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

hm, the r7 XD's have such a strong loft? I would have never guessed, that's quite interesting.

The Ignites are cheaper too....I really just don't want to be disappointed with my choice, but I don't think I will be.

Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

hm, the r7 XD's have such a strong loft? I would have never guessed, that's quite interesting.

Its called Xtra Distance technlogy, LOL

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/vintag...il.asp?catID=9 In any case, just go to a demo day. Not sure that they'd have to many R7XD's though. TM seem to have a rather 'regular' and rapid product cycle.

Its called Xtra Distance technlogy, LOL

Yeah, I actually was just at one two weeks ago-No XD's unfortunately.

i believe the XD'x also have titanium faces. i am looking at getting these in the near future so if anyone has hit them i would like feedback also. i hit the ball wicked high so the strong lofts really attracted me.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

i believe the XD'x also have titanium faces. i am looking at getting these in the near future so if anyone has hit them i would like feedback also. i hit the ball wicked high so the strong lofts really attracted me.

If I were you I'd probably at different types of irons (less offset, forgiveness with stiffer (especially in the tip) shafts). Although the XD's have stronger lofts they still launch the thing pretty high due to their low CG (much like your Slingshots).

http://www.pga.com/equipment/equipme...tmag112805.cfm

I've decided, while I'm going to still keep them in mind, I'm not going to focus on the XD's-I already hit the ball reasonably high, I don't think these clubs would do too good if I had them. How about the rac OS2's?

Any other suggestions? I would like them to be under $800 at Golfsmith, obviously even cheaper on eBay. I am open to any suggestions, although I like forgiveness and distance. I am not fond of Titleist irons, I've tried nearly all of them too.

How about the Bridgestone game improvement irons? How about the Cleveland CG Gold irons or whatever they're called?

The Nike Ignites are still the frontrunner, as they give $800 performance at a nice price.

If I were you I'd probably at different types of irons (less offset, forgiveness with stiffer (especially in the tip) shafts). Although the XD's have stronger lofts they still launch the thing pretty high due to their low CG (much like your Slingshots).

yeah but i can't justify sacrificing anything for forgiveness. i feel this game is hard enough and if there is an easy iron to hit, i will play it. i dont know a whole lot about equipment so i dont know the real advantage of playing a non-game improvement iron.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

yeah but i can't justify sacrificing anything for forgiveness. i feel this game is hard enough and if there is an easy iron to hit, i will play it. i dont know a whole lot about equipment so i dont know the real advantage of playing a non-game improvement iron.

Hmmm.... If you want to stay in the same type of head but want to bring your ball flight down a re-shaft may be the best option, but for that someone would have to see your current ballflight. For instance, is it starting low then rising, is it just going high with no spin at all, directional tendecies, etc....

I just came up on this thread so ill lay my 2 cents in just in case the OP still cares...

I play the XDs, and the stronger lofts are just something you have to get used to. Its not a macho thing, its not a scam, its just clubs with stronger lofts. I had to incorporate a 48deg cleveland wedge into the set but thats no big deal really.

The clubs hit the ball HIGH, the launch on these are nuts. They just rocket off the club. Workability on them is there, obviously not as much as player irons but you can work them if you know how.

The titanium face is a good plus. You dont see too many clubs incorporate that and it really makes the clubs feel good.

Ive been playing them for most of the golf season so far and really like them. The only problem is the amount of time it takes to get used to the lofts. But thatll just take some rounds and range visits and youll be fine.

As for self promotion my XD's are for sale as I have a set of Mizuno's im gonna start playing once I get them setup.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

I PM'ed you about those irons.

I play the R7 XD's and I can't say anything bad about them. They launch the ball no higher than any other game improvement iron and I tried most of them. Because of the strong lofts you will probably be hitting 1/2 to 1 less club on most shots but this isn't a problem once you get your distances down. I also have the matching Gap and SW so I don't have any distance gaps between clubs. They are forgiving and surprisingly workable if you have that in your game. One other comment I would like to make is that you hear all the time that you can't feel a bad shot on the clubface with game improvement irons but I found this not to be true with these irons. When I make a bad swing and hit off the toe or heel I can certainly feel it. Your shot does end up better than traditional irons but you can certainly feel a bad shot on the clubface. One last comment I would like to make as far as reviews. What one person doesn't like about a certain club others may love. Some golfers are brand loyal or have preconceived predjudices about certain clubs. You should always try a club you're interested in because you owe it to yourself to try a club you are considering before spending your hard earned dollars.

Note: This thread is 6120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!