IGNORED

Gravel in sand traps

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just as long as that stuff stays on the bottom. If it works up you will have to seriously strike the ball harder. I don't know if I like that idea. Changing materials from course to course sounds iffy. Hey then again I'm thinking that maybe that gravel might propel the ball!! What you guys think??

actually no 2 course have the same construction methods, drainage issues amongst other things so we all do it a bit different. all construction methods have plus and minusses

Here's a quick rule question. The course I'm a member of has a good number of sand traps, but many of them are not made of quality sand. In some there is gravel coming through, and its bad enough to the point that I've taken chunks out of a new sand wedge due to hitting rocks with some of the more stronger hits. I've talked to other golfers who have had the same problem here.

My question is, what's the rule/etiquette for not wanting to play a ball in a poorly-kept bunker? I know some guys will actually take the ball out to play it, as they don't want to hurt their clubs, but once we're in tournament play we can't do that. Beyond talking to the grounds manager, what options do we have while playing??

I would ditch this club and find one that actually cares about the product they are selling, after all, it is your money you are spending.

We had a lot of bad rain at my course, and, it crippled some of the bunkers... My ball went into one, and, I generally thought the sand was compacted with the rain, which it does, so, I sank my feet in as you do, realized it was pretty tough underfoot... Made my stroke, and took the biggest chunk of dirt I've ever seen, there was about 10mm of sand below my ball, and I'll be honest, I nearly snapped my wrists!

The ball did actually pop out, but, not very far, so, with my playing partner, I asked if I could play a relief ball in the bunker and drop it where it looked like there was actually a bit of sand... He agreed, so, another stroke, and my ball popped up and out of the bunker as expected and managed to get onto the green.

So, I played both balls, the original, and the relief, finished the hole and moved on, obviously, marking the scores for both, which was a 7 and a 6... When I got back to the club house, I queried that particular hole and my scores, and, because the trap wasnt deemed GUR, I had to take the 7, but, I highlighted that someone will get injured playing out of it, I nearly did... Another round later, I walked to the hole and there, sprayed in the bunker was the letters GUR!

I went a bit loopy with them in the clubhouse, because it shouldnt take a golfer to nigh-on break his wrists for something to be deemed GUR and, that could cause injury, the groundsmen are there to look after the course, but, they are also there to make sure the course is safe to play... They cut the greens, so, why dont they inspect the bunkers, especially after torrential rainfall, and if needs be, rake them or spray 'em!

I got an apology, and, they have since repaired the bunker... But, I also imagine the head greenkeeper got a canny bollocking too from the commitee, because that could, in reality, could have cost them money if I did actually injure myself playing out of it!

Dabz

I hate when golf courses go cheap on the bunkers.

Me too! There are rocks and pebbles in the bunkers of the local course I play. One time I hit a sand shot and hit a decent sized hidden rock out with my ball. I wasn't too happy about it. How hard could it be to get that stuff out? I don't know where the sand comes from exactly or how or if they "process" it, but couldn't they run it through giant sifters to filter out the rocks and pebbles?

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!