IGNORED

Video swing analysis software - For Macs?

tji
Note: This thread is 5199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are some good video analysis programs for Windows (V1, CSwing). But, I have never located anything for Mac OS X computers.

Does anyone know of a swing analysis app for Apple computers?

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

• Administrator
There are some good video analysis programs for Windows (V1, CSwing). But, I have never located anything for Mac OS X computers.

What are you looking to do: just draw some lines and rectangles on live video? I just use QuickTime Player to look at my swing, though I've been tempted to write some software to do this type of thing...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im also very interested in this too as I have a MAC. Normally if I do use a camera, I'll hook it up to my little crappy tv and get out some dry erase pens and a straight edge...has worked well so far, but some software would be great too.

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

You can run XP on a MAC with Virtual PC. This would solve your issues and stop you from drawing on any of your TV's.....LOL
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

What are you looking to do: just draw some lines and rectangles on live video? I just use QuickTime Player to look at my swing, though I've been tempted to

Yeah, something that does the basics would be very useful:

- Good control of frame by frame, or even field by field, playback (long slider, so it's easy to control the motion of the swing) - Line / shape drawing on top of playback window. Some more advanced items, version 2.0, could be: - Show two video windows side by side. Compare good & bad swings, or compare to video of a pro. - Ability to trim video into individual swing clips And, if you want to extend it to the super-deluxe, to be used for lessons (and charge a lot more for), there are things like: - DV-Cam control for live video capture - Control / Sync multiple camera angles - Auto-detect swing by detecting impact sound - Incorporate data from launch monitor and impact cameras It seems like the basics would be pretty straightforward for someone familiar with QuickTime. Several of the Windows apps of this type have demos available, to see some of the features in actual usage.

TM Burner Tour Driver | TM R9 3W | Nike VR 21° Hyhrid | Mizuno MP-60 4-PW | Vokey Wedges 56°, 60°| Cameron Kombi Putter

The tv that I draw on is strictly dedicated for my golf vids...its a cheap, crappy one. Plus I use dry erase so they just wipe off.

I have thought about Parallels to run on my MAC to get XP or VISTA or whatever Windows based operating sysytem, but I ran into so many issues with viruses and such on my previous PC, I didn't want to mess with it again...hence why I got a Mac...(viruses dont exist for their OS) and I would like to keep it that way.

Im sure there is software out there for the Mac, I just dont know of any.

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

The tv that I draw on is strictly dedicated for my golf vids...its a cheap, crappy one. Plus I use dry erase so they just wipe off.

I was just busting your balls about the TV. Just one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Viruses do exist for MAC, just not nearly as many. You should be able to run a Windows based software on your MAC and even if you get a "windows" virus, it isnt going to effect the MAC OS, especially using an emulator like Virtual PC. Not sure what the cost of those programs are though..... seeing I am a PC guy.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Viruses do exist for MAC, just not nearly as many.

There are no known file infecting viruses that work on OS X. Last year there was the threat of a worm, but users were prompted to install the code after an actual file transfer from an IM client so by no means was it a threat to anyone other then people who blindly click and install random code.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree , is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents"

-Nathaniel Bornenstein

Not exactly what you're looking for but these may be useful:

http://www.cinepaint.org/
http://www.macworld.com/news/2002/12/12/gimp/

You can do frame by frame, and by using the re-touching ability you can also draw lines, etc....

Else, this looks pretty good....

http://digitalproworld.com/The_Software.html

but I'm not too sure how reputable the company is. The website is rather sparse at best.

Here's a rather interesting solution though.... right at the bottom of the page.

http://forum.maccast.com/lofiversion...php/t4858.html

I think a simpler option would be using something like "Magic Pen", which allows you to draw on your screen. Then, you could just use a standard video playback app. It's still not as good as a real swing analyzer app, but it's better than dry erase markers of modifying frames of video.

http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/pro.../magicPen.html

As for the video playback app, I'm not sure if there are any apps that are better than the others. With motion as fast as a golf swing, you want to have as much detail as possible. I think some of the Windows apps display each "field" of the interlaced video, to get 60 fields per second, rather than combining two fields into a frame for 30 frames per second. There would be less resolution in each field, but more motion detail with twice as many samples shown. In the past when I looked at swing video in QuickTime, it looked like it was showing less detail than the Windows swing apps.

• 1 year later...
Anyone use a software program to analyze their video taped swing? O yeah it has to work for a mac. Any suggestions? Preferably not a 500$ thing though. Thanks

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Well, I don't know how serious software you are looking for, but have you seen Swing Academy ? It's fairly simple, but I like it. After looking some I (at least I think) got enough to analyze the swing myself without any software. It's not hard finding angles and planes without software.

I'm no expert, I know some people don't like this way to practice, but it works for me. I shoot a couple of swings, both down the line and front view and just look at them in slow motion on the computer or TV. After watching a lot of Swing Vision on Youtube and swing lessons I've become better at knowing what to look for in my swing. What I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. After I can write down some things I would like to work on and take it to the range. I don't try to copy Tiger or something, but the basics are pretty much the same for all the good golfers out there. If it works for them it probably works for me too. You'll of course have to learn to swing, not just mimic someone else, but that's where practice comes into play. Identify a problem, identify the solution, perform the solution and repeat.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Well, I don't know how serious software you are looking for, but have you seen

That looks pretty god but im looking for an actual downloadable software with which you can draw lines and such. I have a tendency to fall back into a reverse C

and wanted to have a line to see where my head is throughout the swing.

Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

If you don't need more, then you can use Swing Academy. I'm sorry, I forgot you have to be logged in to view an analysis. Here's an example I found of Ben Hogan. The person doing this analysis drew a circle around is head in the beginning and let it stay there for some time during the swing. At a point during the downswing he cleared those drawings and made some new lines.

It can do exactly what you mentioned there. You can play it in slow motion, drag it forwards and backwards with the mouse to play through the swing.

The downside is that it takes some time to load both up and down. Some easy software would be preferable, I agree. Well, that's enough about Swing Academy, I'm also interested in a software that can do this. Just thought I'd mention Swing Academy if someone else read this and was interested.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

If you don't need more, then you can use Swing Academy. I'm sorry, I forgot you have to be logged in to view an analysis. Here's an example I found of Ben Hogan. The person doing this analysis drew a circle around is head in the beginning and let it stay there for some time during the swing. At a point during the downswing he cleared those drawings and made some new lines.

Is it free.

Yep, completely free. Once you have registered you can upload and analyze all you want. Other people can also analyze it if you like.

Yep, completely free. Once you have registered you can upload and analyze all you want. Other people can also analyze it if you like.

Ok thanks for all your help i will probably end up doing that.

• Administrator
Anyone use a software program to analyze their video taped swing? O yeah it has to work for a mac. Any suggestions? Preferably not a 500$ thing though. Thanks

Just answered a similar question

here. And merged this thread into one that already existed, which likely has answers. Look at post #2 for me saying almost the same thing as the post I just linked to.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5199 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!