IGNORED

easy to implement ways & ideas to speed up recreational golf round.....

Spitfisher
Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It was obvious that the average time per round for each team went up about 30 minutes per round when we started putting everything out.

This was my point.  If everyone putts out on a busy course on Saturday, things will be even worse.   For most weekend warriors, they use their judgement to regulate their putting time.   I was referring to the exceptional 4 somes who don't.   They would need a timer ... ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1) If you must take a cart, 1 person-per-cart limit. (ever see the time it takes 2 clueless cart riders to play?) All those carts may stress the course somewhat, but would be faster.

2) Putt out. Don't worry about spike marks (there aren't many anymore) or stepping on someone's line. Leave the flagstick in.

3) Play with 1/2 a set of clubs. Fewer choice decisions.

4) Use cheap balls. Don't spend too much time looking for them.

5) Take lessons to play better. Fewer strokes = faster golf.

1) that is just stupid, and honestly a waste to golf. Walking a golf course is an experience upon it self. Golf was made to be walked. It doesn't hurt golf times at all.

2) Plastic spikes can tear up a green just as well as metal spikes. Its how people walk that matter. Fixing spike marks doesn't slow down play that often. Its illegal to do anyways ;)

3) Actually that will slow down play. If I had 1/2 the clubs, i would be sitting there trying to envision what shot i need, and how to play it. Instead of having all my clubs were I would just pull a stock shot 99% of the time.

4) Nope, people will still look for them. I've seen people look for minutes for a pinnacle. Also, how am I going to collect my Pro-V's...

5) Yes, better play can speed up play, but there are plenty of good players who play slow, and have nothing to do with the previous 4 things you mentioned.

If you want to speed up play. Everybody looks out for everybody's tee shots. Everybody plays ready golf. Meaning your picking your club while others hit, and your reading your putts while others are putting. It optimizes time. Finally get rangers to do there job, keep play going. Fastest round is the slowest group, its basic concept around anything in a queue. Golf course is one big Queue.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On rainy days in the St. Louis area, I would support a "putting ball" local rule.

Often, you have to run the ball through the cart's ball washer to really get our very sticky mud off. This rule would allow you to have a clean ball of the model you are playing to use once on the green. It takes a full minute to get the ball clean using a towel greenside.

Unlike the pros, most of us don't have a valet -- oops...caddie -- to help clean our equipment.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Guys who are good and get to the green in 2-3 shots have a different idea of what would be faster than guys who take 3-5 shots to get to the green. If you are getting to the green (on a par 4) in two shots, then you have the luxury of taking a little more time over your putt and still be quick. When a person takes 4 shots to get there on the same hole and then proceeds to take the same amount of time you did over their putt then they are being slow.

This article has nothing to do with golf but I think it is the same basic reason why golf is slow: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/10/02/nine-in-10-airline-passengers-want-reclining-seats-banned-poll-shows/

Here's a telling excerpt:

"Women aged from 18-24 were the most likely to display 'altruistic soul' tendencies, while men over the age of 35 were more likely to exhibit 'selfish ego' characteristics."

Guys who are good and get to the green in 2-3 shots have a different idea of what would be faster than guys who take 3-5 shots to get to the green. If you are getting to the green (on a par 4) in two shots, then you have the luxury of taking a little more time over your putt and still be quick. When a person takes 4 shots to get there on the same hole and then proceeds to take the same amount of time you did over their putt then they are being slow.

I have played with many guys that are not "great" and take 5+ shots to get to the green. However, they still manage to play just a quick as I when I am hitting 2-3 shots to the green. Not saying that your situation doesn't happen, but it is not hard for even a sub-par golfer to keep up with better players if they are ready and responsible.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Speed of play is far more a state of mind than it is a set of practices, IMO.  You can propose all the reforms you want, but slow players will still be slow players.  I play with guys who can play honors off the tee, player away goes first, rules strictly adhered to, all putts holed out, and still play in well under 4 hours.  Unless some schlumphs ahead of us are slowing things down.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!